• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wife and I hate it. We are up early which means we go to bed early. When the sun is still up at 10pm that’s ridiculous

BS, June 21st, the solstice, is the longest day of the year with sunrise at 6:16 and sunset at 9:15, so the sun is not up at 10:00 pm. I will grant you that civil twilight starts at 5:23 am and ends at 9:48 pm.

What is ridiculous, if we did not do DST, is twilight at 4:23 am. Who wants light then and why?

Also, this is the longest day of the year, it will be less leading up to and following the solstice, not like it is this way for months.

MM

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They still have those? Thought that they were just relics of the past...

MM

There's still a few around. One from back in the day re-opened a few miles from us and they've been working on cleaning up and improving ever since. I wish we could still support the small businessman that is giving it a go but we're getting too damned old to come in from the drive in at 5 a.m. Hell in my younger days rolling in just in time to clean up and go to work was tough!!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    We should all push for compromise! Adjust your clocks 1/2 hour forward & leave them alone forever! :):

I read somewhere that Florida was considering dropping DST. I hope it becomes a trend.

I think that Florida adopted DST year-round. In other words, no changes. Not sure though. I'll check with a friend who moved there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think that Florida adopted DST year-round. In other words, no changes. Not sure though. I'll check with a friend who moved there.

In others, no DST, just a permanent time shift.

It does seem pointless for the Sunshine State to use DST. The delta in seasonal daylight isn't as much as for us in a higher latitude.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We should all push for compromise! Adjust your clocks 1/2 hour forward & leave them alone forever! :):

I read somewhere that Florida was considering dropping DST. I hope it becomes a trend.

The half hour thing would be great for our area but the world is built on 1 hour time zones. It might help if they were half hour zones.

MM

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    BS, June 21st, the solstice, is the longest day of the year with sunrise at 6:16 and sunset at 9:15, so the sun is not up at 10:00 pm. I will grant you that civil twilight starts at 5:23 am and ends at 9:48 pm.

What is ridiculous, if we did not do DST, is twilight at 4:23 am. Who wants light then and why?

Also, this is the longest day of the year, it will be less leading up to and following the solstice, not like it is this way for months.

MM

Me! I get up around 3:15 or 3:30... maybe 4 or 4:30 on my days off. I'd love to get out and start working in the yard by 5:00 or 5:30. We go to bed around 8 or 8:30, so it's definitely still light then.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The half hour thing would be great for our area but the world is built on 1 hour time zones. It might help if they were half hour zones.

MM

But there are!

- Australian Central
    - Indian Standard Time
    - Newfoundland Standard Time
    - Iranian Standard Time
    - and more!

There are far more countries with a 1/2 time difference than using the Imperial Measurement System.
    -

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm really looking forward to that extra hour of evening daylight next week when it's too cold to be out at night and the lost hour in the morning so my car windows are still frosted over.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But there are!

- Australian Central
    - Indian Standard Time
    - Newfoundland Standard Time
    - Iranian Standard Time
    - and more!

There are far more countries with a 1/2 time difference than using the Imperial Measurement System.
    -

Then we should look into it. The difficulty in this issue is how differently the sun travels closer to the equator versus the more northern parts of the country.

MM

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Then we should look into it. The difficulty in this issue is how differently the sun travels closer to the equator versus the more northern parts of the country.

MM

Screw them damn Yankees! They ****ed us during the great war of oppression, let them deal with screwed up clocks!:xmad:

Ah crap, I live up amongst them now!:crying:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So I cancel out your vote on that. LOL

What in particular do you hate about DST? And please I hope it's a better reason than I don't like changing time on the clocks...

MM

Not that not changing time is not a good reason not to change time.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Me! I get up around 3:15 or 3:30... maybe 4 or 4:30 on my days off. I'd love to get out and start working in the yard by 5:00 or 5:30. We go to bed around 8 or 8:30, so it's definitely still light then.

Sorry it does not work for you, in Indy the average person starts to work at 7:54 am according to fivethirtyeight.com. Those families like DST in the summer for after work, kids are sleeping at even 6 am. Most communities have ordinances against anything noisy before 8 am.

MM

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Fortunately, the new Amepa isn't like this.
    This is the instructions for the previous Amepa.

Set clock via switches on the parameter card in slot 19 of the MCU100.
    Switches DS1 through DS8 are numbered from top to bottom.
    Reset button is on the card in slot 18.

Set DS3 to "1"
    Set DS1 to "2"
    Press RESET
    Set seconds using sw DS4 & DS5
    ...DS4 = tens
    ...DS5 = units (ones)
    Set DS3 from "1" to "0" and back to "1" again
    Repeat steps 4 & 5 each time for: min/hrs/day/month/year
    Reset DS1 and DS3 to "0"
    Press RESET

If entry is wrong, or doesn't take, start back to step 1
    Transferring data takes time.
    Set clock time a bit in advance and wait with RESET until actual time is the same as programmed time.

Note: this NEVER works the first couple times.

This is just ONE example of the fun people have that work in heavy industry with legacy systems.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry it does not work for you, in Indy the average person starts to work at 7:54 am according to fivethirtyeight.com. Those families like DST in the summer for after work, kids are sleeping at even 6 am. Most communities have ordinances against anything noisy before 8 am.

MM

Oh I know I'm in the minority. And for the record, I don't do anything noisy that early, but pulling weeds, planting stuff, etc. keeps me busy enough until a "civil" hour.

Top Bottom