• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can one of you in favor of changing clocks find a poll that shows a majority of people are in favor of it.
    I suspect a vast majority are against it. BTW, the Senate unanimously passed a bill to make DST permanent. That's where my preference is. Well. Only because there's no way we'll get enough people to go on UTC.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can you, not in favor, find a poll that shows a majority not in favor?

Seriously though. I don't think anyone is preaching they wanna change clocks. The argument is more which way to set it and forget it.
    No, a few people have. They want more daylight after work/school in the summer, and more daylight before work/school in the winter. So yeah, some people think it's worth changing the clocks. But I suspect that's a small minority.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I suspect a vast majority are against it. BTW, the Senate unanimously passed a bill to make DST permanent. That's where my preference is. Well. Only because there's no way we'll get enough people to go on UTC.
    Wow, the Senate passed that bill back in March and of all things it passed unanimously... and nothing blew up!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No, a few people have. They want more daylight after work/school in the summer, and more daylight before work/school in the winter. So yeah, some people think it's worth changing the clocks. But I suspect that's a small minority.
    Actually I used to be in that minority and thought the advantages to me were worth the minor inconvenience. But when I found out we were such a hated minority I abandoned that ship. :)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well it certainly was not free of costs. Missed shipments, appointments, and wasted trips out of state were common occurrences.
    Yes, but the people that were against adopting it back in the day were too dumb to know how to change the clock twice a year? Doesn’t sound like it to me.
    It was not hard to know where all our neighbors were with their clocks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What does UTC solve? At any given xx:xx UTC time, half the earth will be in darkness and the other half will be in light (yes I know that's an oversimplification). So say someone in Mumbai wants to have a meeting with someone in Indiana at xx:xx UTC. One or the other is going to be pretty inconvenienced. So what problem was solved?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I tell you that I like having the sun set late because that gives me more hours of daylight after work. So you tell me to go to work earlier. Why should I prefer going to work earlier when I already have late sunsets in the summer? You said I could use lighting to see in the dark. Why should prefer using lights in darkness when I already have late sunsets?

My whole point is that we've gone far past arguing logical points. We're all just arguing about our own preferences. I'm of the opinion that we don't need to change the clocks back and forth. But, if we ended that, I'd rather have more daylight hours after work. It's a free country. Still. You get to prefer your way.
    Holy crap! there are logical arguments to be had? I thought it was all personal preference supported but subjectively selected facts to make ones personal preference right for everybody else.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What does UTC solve? At any given xx:xx UTC time, half the earth will be in darkness and the other half will be in light (yes I know that's an oversimplification). So say someone in Mumbai wants to have a meeting with someone in Indiana at xx:xx UTC. One or the other is going to be pretty inconvenienced. So what problem was solved?
    UTC is like the metric system. They both make more sense. But getting people to understand that is like arguing over imperial pints vs canadian pints vs us pints.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is it dark out? Look outside. Pretty easy to tell when it’s light and dark. I’m not saying it’s practical for everyone to do. Probably most people couldn’t. I’m saying I would prefer it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is it dark out? Look outside. Pretty easy to tell when it’s light and dark. I’m not saying it’s practical for everyone to do. Probably most people couldn’t. I’m saying I would prefer it.
    But isn't the point of UTC to make everyone be on the same time? It really doesn't other than nominally, so I don't see the advantage over "regular" time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But isn't the point of UTC to make everyone be on the same time? It really doesn't other than nominally, so I don't see the advantage over "regular" time.
    No time zones. Do you know how much code is written just to account for time zones? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No time zones. Do you know how much code is written just to account for time zones? :):
    Right, no time zones, but as IngoMike has been pointing out, it was "too confusing" when Indiana was on EST and other states were on DST to schedule meetings, watch television, etc.. How does UTC address that? I don't think it does.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Can you, not in favor, find a poll that shows a majority not in favor?

Seriously though. I don't think anyone is preaching they wanna change clocks. The argument is more which way to set it and forget it.
    I found lots, as Act already posted. I found ZERO in favor of changing clocks. So if it is so popular an idea, I figured they would be able to find polls to support their statements. I guess not though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Right, no time zones, but as IngoMike has been pointing out, it was "too confusing" when Indiana was on EST and other states were on DST to schedule meetings, watch television, etc.. How does UTC address that? I don't think it does.
    The meeting called by the director in Tucson is at 12PM UTC. Looks at watch. Oh ****! It’s twelve fitty! I don’t have time to finish breakfast!

Idunno. I kinda think technology makes timezones, as a solution to time-keeping on a globe, obsolete. But I acknowledge that society isn’t ready for that. it’s not gonna happen in my lifetime.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The meeting called by the director in Tucson is at 12PM UTC. Looks at watch. Oh ****! It’s twelve fitty! I don’t have time to finish breakfast!

Idunno. I kinda think technology makes timezones, as a solution to time-keeping on a globe, obsolete. But I acknowledge that society isn’t ready for that. it’s not gonna happen in my lifetime.
    The main issue I see from a global perspective is it would be harder to know relative time. I have meetings with people in India more than I would like. Timezones allow us to align the meeting to a time that is acceptable to both sides. That would be much harder without them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The main issue I see from a global perspective is it would be harder to know relative time. I have meetings with people in India more than I would like. Timezones allow us to align the meeting to a time that is acceptable to both sides. That would be much harder without them.
    You still have to know what time it is there. Is it any harder to know what UTC time their workday is? Really though, technology can mitigate either problem. Time zones, or universal time. So might as well reduce the complexity and get rid of time zones. Whenever society is ready for that. Probably not in my lifetime. But eventually.

Top Bottom