Daughter needs a car and of course has requirements...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hoping for some recommendations. My 19yo daughter has been driving our 2012 Ram 1500 since she got her permit and that poor thing has taken a beating. My daughter's been working a full time job for six months now and has saved up a nice amount to either buy outright or use as a down payment if she finances. She would prefer to buy outright ($10k budget) while I would prefer she spend more, get something newer/more likely to be reliable while establishing some credit.

At this point I'm not sure who will win but it's probably going to come down to the first vehicle which meets her requirements and is a viable option financially. She wants a manual and (surprisingly) doesn't want a truck and that's about it at this point. I'm not stuck on any particular brand, I just want to see it be money well spent. and I'm sure I'll make plenty of recommendations which will be shot down but I gotta try.

Any recommendations? Looking for a manual transmission car in the $10k-$25k range with a reputation for reliability. Points for style/appearance and she's got something again Subarus and the Prius so those are out.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Honda Civic. They run forever, get good gas mileage, and are one of the few models that come in a manual these days.

You should easily be able to find one under $10k. It will probably have 100-150,000 miles, but that's just being broken in for a Honda.
    I'll second the Civic, look at a 3-year lease turn-in. If a manual is a must have, might be hard to find one in a base 4-door.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Honda Civic. They run forever, get good gas mileage, and are one of the few models that come in a manual these days.

You should easily be able to find one under $10k. It will probably have 100-150,000 miles, but that's just being broken in for a Honda.
    18yo next door did exactly this. No problems that I'm aware of after about a year. I think it's an Accord though with 150k.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'm getting rid of a civic here soon... Automatic though. I love a manual and have had more manuals than automatics but I'll tell ya... Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in an automatic, especially with this adaptive cruise control...I love it.

Also, we're a Honda family through and through when it comes to the daily drivers. Can't go wrong if it's been treated right!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    We have 4 Civics. They are the safest and most dependable around.
    1 son took out a deer on I69 and walked away w/o injury.
    I T-boned a guy who ran a red light doing 55mph. Broke my wrist but walked away.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Agree with the Honda.

I drove a 94 Integra for 14 years.
    The only thing that broke on it was the clutch. Fixed that and drove it until the exhaust rusted away, and it cost more than the car was worth to repair.

Donated to Goodwill in the end.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Come on, 19yo? Needs something fun, good on gas, reliable =

Miata?

Agree can’t go wrong with a Civic (si of course in red!)

Honda fit?

More $ but more modern safety features, Mazda3

Just a few thoughts from a quick search.

And remember to consider a Pre purchase inspection by someone you trust (shameless plug, my godson is a technician here). Watch this.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Honestly, keep helping her and let her save atleast 20k and buy new. Cars just aren't built to last like they were 20yrs ago..talking about the "foreign" name cars. Back then i would have chose a honda or Toyota over any American piece of crap. I have driven literally thousands of cars since 91 being i worked for a car dealer up till 2006. I'd look more at what the warranties are such as the kia and hyundai . 100k miles. She thinks she wants all the bells an whistles, which she'll find out the hard way that all that "extra" stuff just isn't worth it. I always thought i wanted a sun roof in a car years ago.. thats probably 1 of the most wasted aspects in a car. But i rarely see anything made without a sun roof. 1 of the biggest options that i think is a must especially for youbg drivers, is the winter package..heated mirrors, seats.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Tough to find a manual, especially an un-abused one.
    If you can find them, go with Toyota or Honda and Mazda.
    Premium fuel is required in the Si civics best I can remember and will be higher on insurance if it matters.

Don't forget Accord and Camry, Mazda6 not just the compact Corolla and Civic and Mazda 3.

If I come across one soon I'll hop back on here.
    I look through a thousand cars a week and rarely see any manuals period.

Top Bottom