• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    So I'm almost ready to start dating again after a divorce (a year and a half ago.) The ex-wife knew all about my hobby before we started dating and there wasn't a problem.

So now I have to worry about introducing a date to my hobby.

Carrying during a date could be problematic.

Being asked, "Hey what's in the big green cabinet?" - also a problem.

I don't really subscribe to the "my way or the highway" theory and realize that not everyone grew up with a few AK-clones in the house.

Any advice from a female poster on how this should be handled?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    It really all depends on the girl...

I don't think I would make it priority topic #1. But if you go out a few times, it's bound to come up in conversation at some point. If she's already to the point where she's at your house and you're getting cozy and she notices the big green cabinet... chances are she's in to you enough that (at least for that night) it won't matter. I'll be honest, the hobby could be a make-it-or-break-it thing, but if your new date really likes you, she'll accept is as part of you. You never know, you might find yourself with a new range buddy.

One way you could bring it up is, "Oh I'd love to go to the zoo with you on Saturday, but I've already made plans to go shooting with some buddies of mine. You're welcome to come along if you want." (and actually genuinely mean she's welcome to tag along).

But then again, the last time I tried dating, I told the guy I couldn't live with a smoker. He stopped smoking that night, and moved in the next week. Seven and a half years later, I still haven't been able to get rid of him. ;)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    PS... I'll add this tidbit: If you get a keeper, and she's really digging you but not the gun hobby, read some of the other posts on how to bring your girl around. The key is that it has to be her decision to accept the guns and it can't be forced on her. Know what her stopping point is in the discussions and always stop at that point, but gently keep nudging her until she comes around. It doesn't have to be a "my way or the highway" type approach. Just understand it may take her some time (read: a year or two) to be more accepting of it. It's part of who you are, and it's not fair to you to ask you to drop something you like doing just to keep her happy.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Steelman : "So..... have any hang-ups with people who are into shooting sports and firearms in general"?

Chickypoo : "Oh... yes I hate guns because NPR told me to (or similar blather)"!!!

Steelman : "CHECK PLEASE"!!!! :thumbsup::lmfao:

:cheers:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    When my girlfriend saw my G19 for the first time, it caught her off guard. Mainly because I had been carrying it the whole time without her knowing, even while we were at her mother's house.

Luckily she is ok with it, and even enjoys shooting.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Being a female also, I agree with the "I'm going to do some shooting, would you like to come along? (Or: "I'd like you to come along")

That would tell her about your "hobby/interests" and that you would like to share your passion with her - without getting all "macho".
    You could also point out that there may even be other women there that she could talk with - if she is not ready to do any shooting - yet.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unattached, heterosexual women get swarmed by the guys at just about any shooting range (the desperation in the air overpowers the smell of the gunpowder). Maybe that's why so few will go there.

However, a woman who is looking for a man (not a metro-homo-pseudo-man) would have a target-rich environment at any shooting range or competition. Some (or most or all) may not meet her standards, but the numbers will be in her favor.

This suggests that a dude who wants to find a chick might look where the chicks congregate, and spend less time around other stinky guys shootin' and huntin' and stuff.

But that's just crazy talk coming from me.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    Leave some obvious signs around the house, cleaning kit left out, empty box of ammo. empty mag. Anything to spark her curisoty, and then proceed form there.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Leave some obvious signs around the house, cleaning kit left out, empty box of ammo. empty mag. Anything to spark her curisoty, and then proceed form there.

Good idea! Also gun magazines, perhaps "notes to self" (call ***** guns to see if XXX gun order is in yet) on a table where she can see it easily?

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Unattached, heterosexual women get swarmed by the guys at just about any shooting range (the desperation in the air overpowers the smell of the gunpowder). Maybe that's why so few will go there.
    Ain't that the truth . . . never failed to amaze me how some of my RO's would *ahem* gravitate towards the members of the fairer sex that showed up. Sometimes it was painful to watch, even for me.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm 23... and I carry on first dates... and usually they'll get a glimpse. Generally I tell them right away, hey I'm a firearm enthusiast and I regularly carry for my personal protection. Never had a problem... the most recent girl admitted she was scared by them. I took it out of the holster, dropped the mag, took the chambered round out, checked the bore and handed it to her. I let her move it around a little, then I field stripped it and showed her as long as they are handled safely they are nothing to be afraid of...

now she wants me to take her shooting sometime :) (sadly though we aren't dating anymore)

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    If you own a "Glock" and you want to show it to her.............make sure to enunciate carefully!

Saying something like, "Hey baby wanna see my big Glock"?

That my friend, could get a guy hurt!

I would just be very careful how you bring it up!:lmfao:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you own a "Glock" and you want to show it to her.............make sure to enunciate carefully!

Saying something like, "Hey baby wanna see my big Glock"?

That my friend, could get a guy hurt!

I would just be very careful how you bring it up!:lmfao:

Don't forget to show her that aftermarket butt plug.:lmfao:

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So, if we're to understand you correctly, you were dating a girl who was afraid of your gun, so you whipped it out and told her to touch it? :lmfao:

No I said... "would you like me to show you a bit about my gun" and she was hesitant but said sure. 2 days later she said "you'll have to take me to the range sometime"

Top Bottom