• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I'm a little lost on why you have to tell anyone anything about it at all.

Maybe I'm a big jerk but I never felt the need to immediatly tell a girl anything about my gun hobbies. If I was a girl, and some guy pointed out his carry gun right away and had some big talk with me, I'd be freaked out and never talk to them again.

If she sticks around long enough to become significant or at least comfortable, gently broach the topic then. Whipping your pistol out on a first date aint the slickest way to recruit new gun enthusiasts, IMO.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The last girl I dated (summer of 2004, and yes, I am pathetic) was informed of my "interest" in firearms by her brother (who set us up). She actually thought it was cool (according to her) that I was serious about protecting myself and my family, and it made her feel safer being with me.

She did make a great joke on our first date, though. We were in a restaurant and someone popped a couple of balloons in rapid succession. She was startled and asked me if it sounded like gunshots (she knew better), and then she said she was proud of me for not standing on the table and announcing to the whole crowd that I had the situation under control. :D

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Man, we can't get a break. Even Pami is shooting us down. :lmfao:

Damn Straight. ;)

funny-pictures-girl-lion-yells-at-boy-lion.jpg

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Crap . . . I'm in the same league as the Rhino. I'm really screwed.:lmfao:

Sounds to me like you aren't, and therein lies the problem.

To get back on topic:
    My girlfriend likes that I carry. She grew up in a very gun friendly household (her dad shoots and collects) so that helps a lot. She likes that I want to be able to defend her and I should the situation arise. She also likes shooting as a hobby and is pretty damn good with her G19. Now I just need to get her to want to carry herself.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    The whole thing usually come out in the first hour with me.

"So what do you do?"

"Blah, Blah, Blah, and I'm a firearms instructor."

Of course, I now date a female firearms instructor, so it's all good. :-)

[And I posted this before I saw that everyone got yelled at - oops!]

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    The whole thing usually come out in the first hour with me.

"So what do you do?"

"Blah, Blah, Blah, and I'm a firearms instructor."

Of course, I now date a female firearms instructor, so it's all good. :-)

[And I posted this before I saw that everyone got yelled at - oops!]

It's all good... you're still mostly on topic.

I think the general consensus has been, though, to just be up front and honest about it. If guns are an active part of who you are, there's no need to be shy about it, and any potential new date should accept you for who you are. Granted, there are arguments against that idea, but you shouldn't change who you are to accommodate someone you want to be with. It'll just end up being more headache than it's worth, imho.

MamaBryant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Whos to say she isn't carrying as well? You will never know till the subject comes up.
    I was very very afraid of guns as well and now here I am today. Learning to shoot and even brave enuff to go to the steel shoot with Michael.
    I think it doesn't have to be subject #1 that you talk about. See where it goes and after a few dates maybe bring it up.
    Just a female prospective.:)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I think I lucked out. I was into shooting big for a couple years, then faded for a couple years. During the fade is when I started dating my current fiancee. We never really talked about guns or shooting. Over the last year, we started talking about teaching her how to shoot and spending some time on the range. She was somewhat surprised by the number of guns I owned, but quickly fine with it. I had just never showed her the collection (which is not that large compare to most active shooters I know.)

My main motivator has been that I see the economy getting worse and expect crime to get worse with it. I'm glad she is open to it. I think that once we get out to the range, she will have fun. She has shot .22 rifle and shotgun before, but never any handguns. In my case, she liked me first, then accepted that guns are one of my already too long list of hobbies.

Her long term plan is to quit the day job and do her Mary Kay full time. That puts her at home alone and out at different people's houses. She is starting to think about the idea of learning how to shoot a pistol for protection.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I just moved in with a girl I have been dating through my last 3 years of college and she was 100% anti-gun in our new apartment. But with enough nagging and a little big of "scare-tactics" I convinced her to let me get one, on the condition that she can get a dog (which I wanted anyways) sometime down the road.

So yeah, pull out the "scare-tactics" and tell them stories about home invasions, show them news articles where a gun in the house saved the lives families during a home invasion etc.

If she is a real keeper she will come around to your hobby and maybe even embrace it some time down the road. I have not gotten my girlfriend down to the range yet, but I have only gone 3 times, so there is still a chance.

Also make sure to emphasize the safety of modern handguns, show her how the various safety features on a particular firearm work. Most people are 'scarred' of guns because they do not understand how they work, and think they will just go off without warning.

Anyways, Best of luck to you and your search!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    So yeah, pull out the "scare-tactics" and tell them stories about home invasions, show them news articles where a gun in the house saved the lives families during a home invasion etc.
    Worst idea. EVAR.
    Do this only if you are a Class "A" Ass.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    It worked for me, just passing on the info ;)

I guess all girls (and guys) are different. the world would be a very boring place if everyone were exactly the same.

Top Bottom