Dashcam video of Fortville officer shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Regardless how I feel about drug legality. The perp was a piece of **** that the world is much better off without.

Prayers for the officer for a full recovery.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Im not making excuses for this POS to do what he did. I am pointing out that it is not just potheads that want this changed.

Also after being an American for 35 years i would like to point out that freedom and liberty mean for all people and all things. Not just the ones you like or agree with.

I know a lot of people. However I do not know of even one single person that agrees with legalizing dope. At least none of them has ever admitted it.

I can tell you with one thing with certainty. Substance use and or substance abuse is a leading cause of our nightly calls for service. While it might not be the nature of the call with the vast majority I can tell you it is at least one of the root causes. People impaired on whatever mind or mood altering substance you want to pick cause problems. They have a difficult time with simple things that the average person does not. Someone please explain why a easy 90% of our calls for service (Person related Calls) involve substance use/abuse. Those include alcohol.

As we all know some drunks tend to never want to let the little things go there by escalating them into problems. They often times can't be talked too or reasoned with. They often do bizarre things which in turn effects other innocent people. Chronic drunks often times abuse their loved ones. They cause crash's killing innocent people. They are loud and obnoxious. Some of them will go to great lengths to get their booze. And to think alcohol is even legal.

The drug users get so used to their lifestyle's that they become addicts. Many if not most addicts rapidly start to need more and more of their preferred drug to feel halfway normal. I have had more than one tell me that they tried whatever drug once and have been chasing that first high every since. Then before long they can no longer afford to feed the habit or the urge to get that 1st high. They loose their jobs if they ever even had one. When that happens they try some other drug or turn to burglary' s,robbery's, assaults ect. to get their junk. All those things effect innocent people greatly.

Someone is going to say that pot smokers do not apply to the addict. I have never met a heroin, crack, meth or any other hard core drug user that claimed to have never smoked pot first. I do in fact ask them when I can. I do believe that pot smoking is in fact a gateway substance to the other much nastier stuff with a LOT of users. Sure some people smoke pot and never go to anything else but many, many graduate to the harder stuff. Even if the drugs were to be legal I don't think it would change anything. I think it is a big nasty circle and would be whether legal or not.

Bottom line is that I am just a simple peon that happens to have a job where I deal with the effects of dope nightly. Legalizing the stuff is not the solution. I do not know what the solution is. I am not so sure there is one. But to blame an attempted murder of a police officer stopping someone for a broken taillight on basically drugs being against the law is kind of odd to me. It will be interesting to see what kind of substances will be found in the commando wannabes blood.:twocents:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As we all know some drunks tend to never want to let the little things go there by escalating them into problems. They often times can't be talked too or reasoned with. They often do bizarre things which in turn effects other innocent people. Chronic drunks often times abuse their loved ones. They cause crash's killing innocent people. They are loud and obnoxious. Some of them will go to great lengths to get their booze. And to think alcohol is even legal.

So, we should reintroduce the 18th amendment?

The drug users get so used to their lifestyle's that they become addicts. Many if not most addicts rapidly start to need more and more of their preferred drug to feel halfway normal. I have had more than one tell me that they tried whatever drug once and have been chasing that first high every since. Then before long they can no longer afford to feed the habit or the urge to get that 1st high. They loose their jobs if they ever even had one. When that happens they try some other drug or turn to burglary' s,robbery's, assaults ect. to get their junk. All those things effect innocent people greatly.

Here you admit that the burglaries, robberies, & assaults stem from black market economics. Think about that. Let it sink in. How often do alcoholics turn to such things to get beer that's available in the legal "free" market?

Someone is going to say that pot smokers do not apply to the addict. I have never met a heroin, crack, meth or any other hard core drug user that claimed to have never smoked pot first. I do in fact ask them when I can. I do believe that pot smoking is in fact a gateway substance to the other much nastier stuff with a LOT of users. Sure some people smoke pot and never go to anything else but many, many graduate to the harder stuff. Even if the drugs were to be legal I don't think it would change anything. I think it is a big nasty circle and would be whether legal or not.

I don't try to delineate between addictive substances. I think many prescription drugs are worse than some of the elicit drugs. Personally, I don't take any...excepting the occasional Asprin for a major headache or Loratadine for allergies.

Bottom line is that I am just a simple peon that happens to have a job where I deal with the effects of dope nightly. Legalizing the stuff is not the solution. I do not know what the solution is. I am not so sure there is one. But to blame an attempted murder of a police officer stopping someone for a broken taillight on basically drugs being against the law is kind of odd to me. It will be interesting to see what kind of substances will be found in the commando wannabes blood.:twocents:

People are attracted to drugs. Trillions of dollars haven't stopped the trade of drugs. Black markets often spawn violence. The creation of black markets via prohibition put our citizens & law enforcement at unnecessary risk, IMO. Go ahead & chalk it up to someone being a "scumbag" or "crazy" if you will. I'd prefer to not ignore other contributing factors. Just please don't think that I'm trying to absolve the killer in any way, shape, or form.

I won't say more in this thread, because I didn't mean to spawn a huge debate about drugs in a thread that should be more about the officer's contributions, family, & mourning.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    OK people, STFU about drug legalization!!!! I don't care, I don't give a crap about it. I DID NOT start this thread to talk about that BS. If you want to talk about it...go start your own thread and stop hijacking mine. I started this thread to highlight just how fast life can be taken away. I wanted people to hear this officer's reaction to his impending death and comtemplate your own mortality. I want people to understand that a SIMPLE SIMPLE reason to stop a car can lead to my death and I do it anyway. I don't give 2 craps about your political agenda so close your pie hole. Jesus H Christ this place is a zoo sometimes.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Has anyone else noticed the comments left by this scumbags buddies on Indystar.com? There's a guy actually defending the guys actions because he claimed the guy was roughed up by police before. This was nothing but cold blooded attempted murder. This POS got exactly what he deserved. He died from lead poisoning!

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The whole time I was reading this article I was wondering if the officer lived. Finally in the last sentence of the article they finally get around to mentioning that Officer Fox underwent surgery to remove a bullet from his nasal cavity. Wow! Shot in the head and lived through it. Must be living a good life. But sure wish I didn't have to read all the commentary before getting to the critical facts. Seems like that last sentence should have been in the first paragraph.

The OP mentioned trying to put ourselves in that officer's shoes. Don't think I can even start to imagine. Glad the scum bag finally got what was his due, and glad officer Fox lived. I hope he can go back to work soon, if that's what he wants to do.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There's a lot to learn in this video for LE and non-LE.

1.) Nothing is routine, a traffic stop for an equipment violation on a nicer Volvo can turn into a chase and multiple shooting the same as anything else.

2.) Make sure your gun is accessible from a seated position in your car. This guy was shooting before the officer even stopped the car so getting out to return fire wasn't possible.

3.) Don't train for a static shootout like in the movies where two guys shoot back and forth until somebody hits. This guy was advancing toward the officer as he fired, force-on-force training proves its value here.

4.) Always go through "what-ifs." "What if this guy jumps out and opens fire?" "What if he stops but refuses to come out of the vehicle?" "What if this guy jumps out and lays down immediately?"

I'm definitely not a tactics expert, so I'm surely missing things. These are just my immediate observations. I hope this officer recovers fully, and I hope nobody here is ever in that situation.

I don't think is stressed enough. Even for the rabid "Train, train, train"ers. You can rely too much on situational training IMO if it means you neglect the cerebral part of self defense. Lots of studies show that visualizing has a profound impact on our ability to execute certain behaviors, even if we've never attempted them before. (And before anybody gets in a huff, I'm not suggesting the outcome would be anything like a well-trained response; just that it's better than the "Oh, ****, what do I do now?" response.)

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Just a little info for you guys. Officer Fox is up and talking and recovering steadily. He should be home in a few weeks last I heard.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't think is stressed enough. Even for the rabid "Train, train, train"ers. You can rely too much on situational training IMO if it means you neglect the cerebral part of self defense. Lots of studies show that visualizing has a profound impact on our ability to execute certain behaviors, even if we've never attempted them before. (And before anybody gets in a huff, I'm not suggesting the outcome would be anything like a well-trained response; just that it's better than the "Oh, ****, what do I do now?" response.)

You get it...well said. That is why I think showing this video is so valuable.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Never mind the ILLEGAL weapons he had as a felon... :rolleyes:

Key point was that this man was already banned from having firearms. He was a felon. This demonstrates the point that gun bans are ineffective because the bad guys do not obey the law. They will have guns no matter what the law says, just like they have pot, cocaine, heroin, etc.

Suggestion: Enforce the Second Amendment (i.e. allow law-abiding citizens to own and carry weapons of their choice) and legalize these drugs. Sell the drugs through authorized dealers at reasonable prices and tax them to a fare-thee-well!. National debt will be paid off in five years, and the pot heads and druggies will be dying like flies. This would reduce the welfare roles, open up new jobs for those who are straight and sober, and eliminate the overcrowding of the jails.

Of course, there will need to be a whole new bureaucracy to ensure these fools who use the drugs do not get elected to public office—oh wait, too late to worry about that. Clinton and Hussein already set the pattern that druggies are good politicians. Man, I wish the draft had sent those guys to Nam and Desert Storm!

See purple as appropriate.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Key point was that this man was already banned from having firearms. He was a felon. This demonstrates the point that gun bans are ineffective because the bad guys do not obey the law. They will have guns no matter what the law says, just like they have pot, cocaine, heroin, etc.

Suggestion: Enforce the Second Amendment (i.e. allow law-abiding citizens to own and carry weapons of their choice) and legalize these drugs. Sell the drugs through authorized dealers at reasonable prices and tax them to a fare-thee-well!. National debt will be paid off in five years, and the pot heads and druggies will be dying like flies. This would reduce the welfare roles, open up new jobs for those who are straight and sober, and eliminate the overcrowding of the jails.

Of course, there will need to be a whole new bureaucracy to ensure these fools who use the drugs do not get elected to public office—oh wait, too late to worry about that. Clinton and Hussein already set the pattern that druggies are good politicians. Man, I wish the draft had sent those guys to Nam and Desert Storm!

See purple as appropriate.
    I believe the "felony" is not accurate. He was arrested for a felony but it was dismissed. He did have convictions for Misd only. So he possessed the firearms legally. That is what I am being told.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just a little info for you guys. Officer Fox is up and talking and recovering steadily. He should be home in a few weeks last I heard.

This is great news. Seems almost too good to be true after taking a 45 bullet to the head. Hope he comes out of it with all of his faculties intact.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I believe the "felony" is not accurate. He was arrested for a felony but it was dismissed. He did have convictions for Misd only. So he possessed the firearms legally. That is what I am being told.

Thanks for the correction.

Another interesting point is that the BG had a stash of machetes and knives. Even without the guns, he was dangerous.

Glad the BG is gone. Glad the LEO is healing. I am not a LEO fan, but I understand why they are hard-nosed SOBs on the job. We need them, and we need them to go home in one piece at the end of their shift.

Thanks to those who wear the badge. Do your job and go home safe—but please ignore that red '97 Mustang doing 60 in the 45! :whistle:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I see a person with that name that was released from the Department of Corrections in 2010 with a D felony out of Hamilton Superior 5.

Indiana Offender Database Search

I'll have to look up the CCS to see what happened on the D felony.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Having no knowledge on the cost and effectiveness of various levels of ballistic paneling/glass, would it be worthy of discussion to outfit road patrol cars with a certain level of ballistic protection?

The pros are obvious, and the cons would be cost, decreased fuel mileage, decreased performance, decreased handling, etc...

That video is simply chilling...

Top Bottom