• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Alright, I screwed up the quotes thing pretty bad. "IMG" isn't quote, obviously. Trying again.

I prefer my FNP over all of them, and they make an FNP in .45

FN isn't on the list, so while I appreciate that recommendation its a no-go.

Sig quality has suffered in the last few years.

Any specific thing? I mean, certain brands of AKs used to sometimes have canted front sight posts, so you knew to look for that and if they were straight the rest of the gun was probably solid. Does SIG have a particular issue I can look for or is just an over all decline?

I'm going to go poke around at the H&K and the SIG line up when I get a chance, along with the M&P. If I don't find a .45 I like I'll probably stick with the Glock I already own. 9mm would add another caliber to stock for my collection and it'd have to be pretty impressive for me to add another DAO .40.[/QUOTE]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't recall which agency but a LE agency here in Indiana sent a batch of recruits through the state LE academy with new Sigs. They were having malfunction issues and the floor plates were coming off of the magazines while the officers were shooting. The Sig Pro pistols were pretty widely recognized as being crap.

This occurred a couple of years ago so it is entirely possible that those issues have been corrected but whatever you end up using, be sure to shoot crap out of it and make sure it's going to perform as it should. No manufacturer is exempt from putting out a bad product now and then.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I don't recall which agency but a LE agency here in Indiana sent a batch of recruits through the state LE academy with new Sigs. They were having malfunction issues and the floor plates were coming off of the magazines while the officers were shooting. The Sig Pro pistols were pretty widely recognized as being crap.

This occurred a couple of years ago so it is entirely possible that those issues have been corrected but whatever you end up using, be sure to shoot crap out of it and make sure it's going to perform as it should. No manufacturer is exempt from putting out a bad product now and then.

Wow.

M&P is out. Fingered a friend's 9mm and that trigger is worse than the Glock. Terrible feel, and he said the accuracy wasn't as good as his Glock.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Try an M&P Pro before you rule them out. I'm a Glock guy through and through but the M&P Pro triggers are pretty nice and dramatically better than a standard Glock trigger. I don't know what restrictions you may be under but an M&P with an Apex DCAEK trigger kit installed is far and away the best trigger I've felt on a polymer DAO pistol.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I got with a friend of mine who's got a mini-arsenal and who is actually a certified armorer for Glock and a few others. He also mentioned the M&P, but only with the trigger kit. He advised against H&K and it was one of the few makes he didn't have represented in one of the safes. Too complicated and he doesn't like the magazine release. I still haven't played with an H&K so I can't make an opinion on my own yet.

He did have a Sig P220 stainless in .45, though. It felt really nice, heavy and solid. I'm going to try and get some range time with him if we can get our schedules to match up and actually shoot it a bit but I was really impressed with how it felt.

I also played with his Kahr in .40. Really concealable and the grip is a good texture without being too aggressive. Even for a DAO gun the trigger felt really long. So long I felt like my finger was moving on the trigger before it tripped.

He's also got a gorgeous Colt Python. Some people have all the luck...

Anyway, SIG may be a front runner at this point.

Top Bottom