Danger of saying outrageous things in forums? really?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    In an ongoing thread soon to become epic, and many other threads on INGO there are warnings about ones posts being used against them in court. Now suppose that tonight I have just had enough and go postal. I commit all kinds of terroristic commotion, jay-walking, peeing in public, getting naked, whatever. Just how will the prosecutor locate and utilize my posts without my giving them to him? How does he, out of the MILLIONS of forums available pick one that I use and then legally tie me to a cartoon avatar? Then, if he can do this, how does he indicate that I was under oath while I made those posts and that they are not all puffed up lies?

The task seems impossible to me, or at least I have no possible idea how it is to be done. can one of you super-sleuths walk me through the process?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Seize computers as evidence, find INGO search history and login info, read through past posts. No way to prove you meant what you said in your posts, but it would be up to the judge to decide if they were admissible as evidence. At least that's my understanding of it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    There have been copies of posts from INGO used in court a while back.

Someone should be along to give more details on that. I just don't remember.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    In an ongoing thread soon to become epic, and many other threads on INGO there are warnings about ones posts being used against them in court. Now suppose that tonight I have just had enough and go postal. I commit all kinds of terroristic commotion, jay-walking, peeing in public, getting naked, whatever. Just how will the prosecutor locate and utilize my posts without my giving them to him? How does he, out of the MILLIONS of forums available pick one that I use and then legally tie me to a cartoon avatar? Then, if he can do this, how does he indicate that I was under oath while I made those posts and that they are not all puffed up lies?

The task seems impossible to me, or at least I have no possible idea how it is to be done. can one of you super-sleuths walk me through the process?

I think a member (from Evansville maybe?) actually had some of his posts discussed in court.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

In the event you are accused of murder, or something like that....
    Well, first they're going to confiscate your computer, and look through the files, IP address, your browsing history, whatever.
    they will find your posts.
    They do not have to prove you "meant" them. They can just provide them to the jury to let the jury decide.

And it may not even have to be for murder.
    Several members here (Well, I'm pretty sure several. At least one for sure) have had their posts brought up in court.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    In the event you are accused of murder, or something like that....
    Well, first they're going to confiscate your computer, and look through the files, IP address, your browsing history, whatever.
    they will find your posts.
    They do not have to prove you "meant" them. They can just provide them to the jury to let the jury decide.

And it may not even have to be for murder.
    Several members here (Well, I'm pretty sure several. At least one for sure) have had their posts brought up in court.

Liberty Sanders and he still prevailed :rockwoot:

Codgedodger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Vincennes
    I wonder how much a VPN would help in this situation. Anyone could use the same group IP from the VPN so I feel it might be hard to "prove" that you said it.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I have a family member who is high up in Microsoft in their security division. I'm going to ask him to put me in touch with a qualified forensic computer whiz to settle some of these questions once and for all.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

(1) Dont do any of your "rampage" in my driveway--not even at 230am
    (2) Warn me ahead of time so I dont have to see your gun.
    (3) No "sword fighting" with INGO swag on or about your person
    (4) What was the 4th rule?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As already posted, the confiscation of your computer is one way.

The contacting of your ISP and your cell phone carrier with a warrant for any and all information is another easy step.

The person who thinks s/he is truly anonymous online is a fool.

I'm no computer expert, but even *I* know that one.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I use Ccleaner before every log-off (enable wipe free-space, don't forget!) and defrag before every shutdown. Stealing my computer will get NOTHING...... Guaranteed. As far as demand my user name? What user name? They must specify the information that they want and have to know beforehand that it exists. How will they pick out of the millions of forums that I am using one of them? And then there is the Nancy Regan option..... Just say NO. It's mighty hard to prove a user name until I give them a user name. I am not being obtuse, I really don't get it. Maybe jack can get the goods, I will look forward to learning from him.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I use Ccleaner before every log-off (enable wipe free-space, don't forget!) and defrag before every shutdown. Stealing my computer will get NOTHING...... Guaranteed. As far as demand my user name? What user name? They must specify the information that they want and have to know beforehand that it exists. How will they pick out of the millions of forums that I am using one of them? And then there is the Nancy Regan option..... Just say NO. It's mighty hard to prove a user name until I give them a user name. I am not being obtuse, I really don't get it. Maybe jack can get the goods, I will look forward to learning from him.
    Your username is tied to many things that even not so savvy computer geeks can track down. Just like some of the mods being able to know who is trying to log back in after having been banned. It shows the IP address or something.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It was Liberty Sanders in his situation involving shooting to scare off dogs. The thread is around here somewhere, complete with the Prosecutor on the case chiming in. Basically his posts on INGO regarding the incident were brought to court.

Top Bottom