Danger of saying outrageous things in forums? really?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It boils down to the the same old :poop::poop::poop: that some folks just don't seem to get;

If you are saying stuff online that you wouldn't say to ANYONE face to face, then you probably shouldn't...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have 20+ thousand posts, I would have to hire an army to look thru them on my behalf to prove that I am full of :poop: sometimes when playing internet badass :lmfao:

They would just have to look at one single post picked at random to see that you're always full of :poop:. :dunno:

:p

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Something else to think about is using the same username in multiple forums and online places. I recently discovered that one of my friends is far out there. I Googled his user name and was appalled at the different twisted sites this person is a member of.

This self proclaimed genius used the same screen name on pages that his real name is used. It didn't take me long to identify him. It was pretty stupid on his part.

I've always been taught to never put anything in writing that could be used against me.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    i only use this one for ingo and psn network

Something else to think about is using the same username in multiple forums and online places. I recently discovered that one of my friends is far out there. I Googled his user name and was appalled at the different twisted sites this person is a member of.

This self proclaimed genius used the same screen name on pages that his real name is used. It didn't take me long to identify him. It was pretty stupid on his part.

I've always been taught to never put anything in writing that could be used against me.
    t

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    Not sure about the legal side of things, but if they get their hands on your computer and if they they have someone with enough expertise, they could get a lot of information. The likelyhood of them acomplishing those ifs would probably depend on how terroristic you got. Research computer forensics for more information.

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    I use Ccleaner before every log-off (enable wipe free-space, don't forget!) and defrag before every shutdown. Stealing my computer will get NOTHING...... Guaranteed. As far as demand my user name? What user name? They must specify the information that they want and have to know beforehand that it exists. How will they pick out of the millions of forums that I am using one of them? And then there is the Nancy Regan option..... Just say NO. It's mighty hard to prove a user name until I give them a user name. I am not being obtuse, I really don't get it. Maybe jack can get the goods, I will look forward to learning from him.

There is a lot more data left on your PC than you'd think, even after going through these processes. Also, more and more information is being stored in the cloud. Google Chrome, for example, allows you to access your bookmarks and history from any device when you log into Chrome. How do you think this is possible? If you find yourself on the wrong side of a Computer Forensics Investigator I believe you'll be dissatisfied with the outcome.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I use Ccleaner before every log-off (enable wipe free-space, don't forget!) and defrag before every shutdown. Stealing my computer will get NOTHING...... Guaranteed. As far as demand my user name? What user name? They must specify the information that they want and have to know beforehand that it exists. How will they pick out of the millions of forums that I am using one of them? And then there is the Nancy Regan option..... Just say NO. It's mighty hard to prove a user name until I give them a user name. I am not being obtuse, I really don't get it. Maybe jack can get the goods, I will look forward to learning from him.

You do realize that none of the above will stop a forensic analyst, right? Right?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    In an ongoing thread soon to become epic, and many other threads on INGO there are warnings about ones posts being used against them in court. Now suppose that tonight I have just had enough and go postal. I commit all kinds of terroristic commotion, jay-walking, peeing in public, getting naked, whatever. Just how will the prosecutor locate and utilize my posts without my giving them to him? How does he, out of the MILLIONS of forums available pick one that I use and then legally tie me to a cartoon avatar? Then, if he can do this, how does he indicate that I was under oath while I made those posts and that they are not all puffed up lies?

The task seems impossible to me, or at least I have no possible idea how it is to be done. can one of you super-sleuths walk me through the process?
    Go ask INGO member Liberty Sanders about this. There is precedence.

Top Bottom