• ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    :xmad::xmad:

I just picked up my brand new Colt XSE Stainless TODAY.

I was so excited when I got it home, I took it apart, cleaned it inside and out, oiled it properly, went to reassemble it and thats when it happened....

I was reinstalling the Slide Stop when....

Anyone who knows about 1911s already knows what I did...

I put the Idiot Mark on it. :(:(

The slide stop was tight, I had to push it firmly, It slipped...

Thats all the excuses i can think of other than Im just an Idiot.

Oh well, its not a bad one and its gonna get carried so it was bound to get scratched up eventually. I was just hoping to get a few hundred rounds and atleast a few tear downs before it happened. Not less than 12 hours.

Ive had my Kimber since December, put almost 1k rnds through it, torn it down atleast a half dozen times, no idiot mark.

First day with my First Pony gun. Idiot mark... I just cant belive it.

As for my punishment, Ive fed all my bacon to my dog and deducted 100 interweb points from myself.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Guns are meant to get scratches. If you plan on collecting dust on it, or putting it in a display case for "investment" value, then you did poorly.

Seriously thought, if it's stainless it may be able to be buffed out without too much effort.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    thou shalt perform 10 hail marys, go to thy local hardware store, purchase polishing compound and remove the wretched eye blister from the once beautiful glory.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Guns are meant to get scratches. If you plan on collecting dust on it, or putting it in a display case for "investment" value, then you did poorly.

Seriously thought, if it's stainless it may be able to be buffed out without too much effort.

No, I plan on carring it so I expected it to get scatched. Im not really worried about it, I just like to keep my things nice for as long as possible.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    thou shalt perform 10 hail marys, go to thy local hardware store, purchase polishing compound and remove the wretched eye blister from the once beautiful glory.

I have some Mother's polish and a dremel tool in my garage. Ill take care of it next time I field strip it.

After a few hundred rounds!! :rockwoot:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I did the same thing to my Springfield Mil-Spec (Parkerized, of course)...the first time I re-assembled it. It wasn't the first 1911 I'd owned, either...more like the seventh. I had never put the scratch into one of my previous 1911s (a couple were used, and pre-scratched). I just couldn't believe that I had done that...ON THE FIRST TAKE-DOWN, no less.

Made me feel like a total newb.

I traded it recently toward a Colt NRM 1991 - Blued. I've had it apart 6-7 times now...

...so far, so good.

-Paul

Last edited:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I bought my 1911 pre-idiot scratched, that way I wouldn't have to fret too much over it. :D

Oh if the previous owner could only see the marks I have on it now... The scratches and wear on a gun only add to the character and individualism of it.

-edit-
    Not mine, but a damn fine looking gun!
    worn1911.jpg

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    There is a lot to be said for a gun that has been used, and looks that way. It says that you trust that gun, and that you use that gun, a lot. If it's not meant to be a "safe queen," then in my mind, scratches, scuffs, and faded finish are all just part of the gun.

drifter197

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    s/w indy
    i have never owned a 1911. why do most of the gun have the scatches are they that hard to put back together? :dunno: im just start out with autos. i have always had wheelguns. just bought first auto 3 months ago and only taken it apart twice.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    :xmad::xmad:

I just picked up my brand new Colt XSE Stainless TODAY.

I was so excited when I got it home, I took it apart, cleaned it inside and out, oiled it properly, went to reassemble it and thats when it happened....

I was reinstalling the Slide Stop when....

Anyone who knows about 1911s already knows what I did...

I put the Idiot Mark on it. :(:(

The slide stop was tight, I had to push it firmly, It slipped...

Thats all the excuses i can think of other than Im just an Idiot.

Oh well, its not a bad one and its gonna get carried so it was bound to get scratched up eventually. I was just hoping to get a few hundred rounds and atleast a few tear downs before it happened. Not less than 12 hours.

Ive had my Kimber since December, put almost 1k rnds through it, torn it down atleast a half dozen times, no idiot mark.

First day with my First Pony gun. Idiot mark... I just cant belive it.

As for my punishment, Ive fed all my bacon to my dog and deducted 100 interweb points from myself.
    It may be an easy fix.. If not I have a gadget that will prevent it from happening again, give me a call or PM me.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Wow that's frustrating. If its any consolation I did worse with a sight push tool on a new gun of mine once. I was so mad, It's fixed now though.:draw:

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I did something similiar to my Les Baer 1911...I almost cried i was so upset with myself for making that mistake. It was my first1911. and i still have it but now it has an idiot mark. mine is stainless and i have been considering having it buffed to see if it will come out.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I did something similiar to my Les Baer 1911...I almost cried i was so upset with myself for making that mistake. It was my first1911. and i still have it but now it has an idiot mark. mine is stainless and i have been considering having it buffed to see if it will come out.

WOW!! Doing that to a Baer would make me cry!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If it's light, it's fixable without a dremel.
    Other than that, the trick (until it's loosened up a bit) is to hold the plunger in while dropping the slide stop in. I use a hair barrette.

Yeah I remember seeing your post about that before. Unfortunately My fiance wasnt home at the time.

I did remember seeing your trick posted right after I did it though.

Oh well Its not really a bad one. Id probably have to point it out to anyone that was looking for it. But I know its there.

Next time I have it torn down for cleaning Im gonna get out the polish and see what I can do.

Top Bottom