• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    Here are the steps to my custom build for my wife. She wanted it light and low recoil for the carbine matches we go to. This is not instructional but if you have any questions just let me know. Here we go... (oh and sorry for the blurry pics)

I started with a 20" A2 barrel (1:8) $155. I like the light weight profile and I wanted it to have a rifle length gas system so I cut in to 16" and turned it down. Took it to .625 for gas block then down to .545, then a short jump to .610 for the crush washer to back up against. Trying to take as much meat off as safely possible while making it light for her. Final barrel weight 23.5 oz.

Next comes threading and crowning then a test fit of brake (AAC) $54

Next I took a .625 steel gas block $20 and drilled/tapped it for gas adjustment. Drill size .136, tap 8-32

Here is the barrel w/ gas block and brake fitted.

Here's a shot of the gas adjustment screw

Pre and post "Cerakote" lol

Gas block/tube and handguard install. I went with the 13" Troy Battle rail $159

I went w/ a JP LMOS BCG for low recoil $305 and a BCM charging handle $36

I used a stripped upper $70, saving 1.5oz not using forward assist or dust cover

Next I installed the brake. It was close to being straight so I just stoned the washer to time it properly

Now for the lower. I went with a Lancer L15 w/ tactical magwell. These lowers are nice, it has a bolt release on the right side above the mag release so no need for a BAD lever $220

For the lower build I used an Ace light weight stock $69 (perfect LOP for my wife w/ no butt pad), Armalite 2 stage trigger LPK $119 and an Ergo grip

I do some work to these triggers to make them lighter and take the first stage out of them. I run a set screw up the grip screw hole to lift the trigger, taking up the first stage. Then I use JPs adjustable safety selector $58 and back it down while on safe so theres no play in the trigger while on safe. The result, 2.5# pull w/ no travel. I also polish the hammer face so the carrier rides over with little friction.

Next I took 3 of the 5 weight out of the buffer . I replaced the aluminum spacer with an ABS one that I made longer (3.360") to make up for the missing weights. Still keeping a 1/4" of movement inside the buffer body. Stock OAW 5.03oz, modified OAW 3.25oz.

Completed lower

Completed rifle $1300 (Total weight:5.65#)

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    I built it a few weeks ago but am just getting around to posting. Went to the range, tuned gas block to low power 55gr ammo and this thing has absolutely no recoil. We both ran it at the match last week and out of 70 people she finished 20th and I placed 3rd. I am very proud of her! I'll try to get a vid up

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    She runs like a champ! We put 150 rounds through it at the range then 250 at the match and it ran great. It short-stroked once at the end of the match but thats because I tuned it to run for her to shoot, not both of us, so it got twice as dirty as it should have. It will never fire more than 150 rounds in a match so it will be good when she runs it by herself. And those Armalite triggers are the best, especially since the give a military discount. Super crisp even before tweaking and solid disconnect even after tweaking.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Any problems with blowback through the "forward assist" hole? I would think you could've gotten one of the DPMS uppers that don't have that stuff for even more weight cutting :)

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    No blow-back through the hole that I've noticed, neither of us are left handed or I'm sure I'd know for sure. I actually bought a slick side DPMS upper but those things are so thick that it weighed more than a complete standard upper, crazy. I really wanted a slick side 9mm upper but no one had them in stock. Those are super light. If I come across one for the right price I'll swap em out.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    No blow-back through the hole that I've noticed, neither of us are left handed or I'm sure I'd know for sure. I actually bought a slick side DPMS upper but those things are so thick that it weighed more than a complete standard upper, crazy. I really wanted a slick side 9mm upper but no one had them in stock. Those are super light. If I come across one for the right price I'll swap em out.

Awesome. Love the rig, and I actually had considered that stock because I like it's looks LOL

esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Very nice rifle... What type of optic did you run in your match? Also I see your location is TX/Morgan co(if currently in Morgan co)... I'm from Morgantown area and if your ever in the mood for some 3gun type rifle practice PM me

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    rual king is selling MAG TECH lowers now does anyone know if they are any good?

Why not try the introduction thread at the top of the page.

Sit down, introduce yourself. Kick off your shoes before you hijack someone's thread.

BTW- Welcome to Ingo.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Excellent! And I'm not a BR guy!

More on the open FW assist opening: Normal running, you've said you don't notice any blow back because you're not left handed (putting your head on the L side of the stock/receiver to use your R eye to sight with)

What would happen should there be a round detonate when it ought not to? Say...an OOB detonation? What about a double charged case (My ignorance of 5.56 is showing - is there physically room inside a case for a double?) What about a light charge leading to a stuck projectile + a good round behind it?

Again - I'm rather ignorant of AR rifles so forgive me. But it would seem to ME, an AR ignoramus ( :D ) that the hole where the FA should be...MIGHT be a detriment should something bad happen - that might otherwise be constrained within the upper / lower / magwell?

-J-

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Awesome job!

I like those hand guards but bet you could shave a couple more oz from it using a Noveske, Geiselle, MI-17SS, etc...

Top Bottom