• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Beware of any of those brands that are sitting in a Lowes/Home Depot/etc. They are often manufactured under license and are not authentic. In the case of the "Deere" products, our local John Deere dealer will not even service the ones sold by Lowes.

Yours came from a JD dealership, no comparison can be made to the green weenies sold in box stores.

Sounds like things have indeed changed, then. As I stated up thread, I asked a JD dealer about this (and it has been 12 or so years ago) and he said at that time, the ones you're buying from Lowes, you're actually buying from him. I guess, the lesson here is, if you want a Deere, you might want to go check and make sure you're really getting one and not a green version of a Yard Man.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yours came from a JD dealership, no comparison can be made to the green weenies sold in box stores.

I'm doubting that is true. I bought my from Lowes and it very clearly had a sticker on the rear (still does) from Reynold Farm Equipment who would do any repairs and carry out warranty work. A Deere is a Deere.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm doubting that is true. I bought my from Lowes and it very clearly had a sticker on the rear (still does) from Reynold Farm Equipment who would do any repairs and carry out warranty work. A Deere is a Deere.

I've got a neighbor who will attest to the opposite. They wouldn't even let him take it off of the trailer in their yard. I'm just suggesting you do your homework.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    Thanks for all the replies. After looking at all the choices I picked up the Cub Cadet XT1 today. Had everything I wanted and seemed to be better quality than my other choices, plus it has very good reviews from what I could find!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've got a neighbor who will attest to the opposite. They wouldn't even let him take it off of the trailer in their yard. I'm just suggesting you do your homework.
    They may not sell the low end models, but I can't imagine that happening. Those models are listed on the Deere website, and a smart dealer is not going to turn down money.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Reynolds is the sponsoring dealership that will do the work. The Lowes mowers are indeed different than the ones sold at a Deere dealership.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I just bought a used JD and I love it. It's an X485, has a Kawi engine and all wheel steer which is a god-send around all my trees.

Not for $1,500, you didn't. If you did, I'm bringing you next time I shop for a tractor.

The Deere dealers assemble the tractors for the big box stores. You are correct that the dealer will do service and warranty work.

However, the Deere dealer does not sell the same tractors as the big box stores. That's neither good, nor bad. It just is. The big box stores have lower priced tractors that are fine at their price point. No problem with them. For instance, an S240 and X320 are about the lowest priced lawn tractors that you will find at a Deere dealer and they are about $2,500 and $3,000 respectively. You can see that they are priced above the big box store tractors, though at the high end of the D series, they are more than the S240 and approaching the X series (IMHO more horsepower isn't worth more $$)

I actually have an 18 year old John Deere 325 (17hp Kawasaki) and I could sell that tractor for $2,000 tomorrow. However, in 15 years the X series Deere tractors will similarly retain value while the D series probably won't. That's not a knock. The truth is, over 10 or 15 years the D series will probably get you everything you need with a lower initial cost. However, the X series has some great features and will last 20+ years, properly maintained....but at at least double the initial cost, usually more.

As an aside, while the John Deere dealer tractors (X series) are completely different from the D series, i.e., I believe the X series has a steel perimeter frame while the D series uses the stamped body as the chassis and the engines are Kawasaki at the dealer versus Kohler or B&S in the D series, Cub Cadet big box tractors are essentially the same as dealer tractors, but the dealer tractors have added features like nicer seats, a slightly tighter turning radius and different engine choices.

Last edited:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Not for $1,500, you didn't. If you did, I'm bringing you next time I shop for a tractor.

The Deere dealers assemble the tractors for the big box stores. You are correct that the dealer will do service and warranty work.

However, the Deere dealer does not sell the same tractors as the big box stores. That's neither good, nor bad. It just is. The big box stores have lower priced tractors that are fine at their price point. No problem with them. For instance, an S240 and X320 are about the lowest priced lawn tractors that you will find at a Deere dealer and they are about $2,500 and $3,000 respectively. You can see that they are priced above the big box store tractors, though at the high end of the D series, they are more than the S240 and approaching the X series (IMHO more horsepower isn't worth more $$)

I actually have an 18 year old John Deere 325 (17hp Kawasaki) and I could sell that tractor for $2,000 tomorrow. However, in 15 years the X series Deere tractors will similarly retain value while the D series probably won't. That's not a knock. The truth is, over 10 or 15 years the D series will probably get you everything you need with a lower initial cost. However, the X series has some great features and will last 20+ years, properly maintained....but at at least double the initial cost, usually more.

As an aside, while the John Deere dealer tractors (X series) are completely different from the D series, i.e., I believe the X series has a steel perimeter frame while the D series uses the stamped body as the chassis and the engines are Kawasaki at the dealer versus Kohler or B&S in the D series, Cub Cadet big box tractors are essentially the same as dealer tractors, but the dealer tractors have added features like nicer seats, a slightly tighter turning radius and different engine choices.

^^^ This ^^^ They are all built in Horicon WI but the comparison ends there. My 42" 4-wheel steer John Deere unit is one of the highest quality built items I have ever owned and operated. I grew up in the aviation industry flying and maintaining General Aviation aircraft. I know of what I speak.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'll add that my semi-honed spidey sense tells me that the local dealer assembling the tractors for big box stores and putting their stickers on there is an agreement which keeps Deere from being in breach of their contracts with the dealers by selling at the big box stores and, to a lesser extent, a marketing initiative to alleviate customer concerns over buying a Deere at a place other than a dealer.

It's just a better way of doing the same thing they tried with "Sabre by John Deere".

Top Bottom