• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    OK, I admit that I go to a gun show about once every 5 years. Last show I attended was the Indy 1500 and that was 3 or 4 years ago and I went in unarmed. Before that show I attended a show in Merrillville, I was armed. The officer at the door asked me to disarm, I pulled my weapon, dropped my magazines and racked my slide as per his instructions. But that is what he told me to do.

But, based on the description of what happened at the Crown Point show, a guy comes to the door, the officer asks for his gun. The officer drops the magazine. The officer pulls the trigger and discharges the bullet in the chamber.

How is that the gun owner's fault??? The officer knew the gun was loaded, so why did he pull the trigger? Should he not have racked the slide to eject the round from the chamber?!?

If the officer asked for a loaded gun then how is it the fault of the gun owner? :dunno:

The gun owner is at fault. How f'n stupid could you be! Numnutz like that is the reason we have to keep dropping more $'s to the NRA to keep fighting for our rights. Sure the cop forgot the rules of gun safety but I blame the person who left round in chamber. Either way someone could have been killed and he they both would be to blame. But it starts with the owner who KNOWS not to bring loaded gun into facility.

Last edited:

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    OK & what does that sign have to do with the gun owner? He had his handgun to the leo to
    1) unload
    2) get checked in with a zip tie

It was the LEO that messed up.

Did they ask leo to leave?

Really!!! Hand a cop an loaded gun and try to justify that and say we are responsible gun owners. Really?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    But it starts with the owner who KNOWS not to bring loaded gun into facility.

Do you personally know the gun owner?
    How do you know he knows not to bring a loaded gun to the show?
    It could have been his first show?
    May have been is car gun and he did not want to leave it in the car while he was at the show only to find out it was stolen later on.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Really!!! Hand a cop an loaded gun and try to justify that and say we are responsible gun owners. Really?

I have NOT said that the guy was/is a responsible gun owner in any of my post. Nor have I said that the guy is blameless. But then again I don't use the term "responsible gun owners" as to me it's just gun owners.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I guess my thought on it is, who pulled the trigger? Yes, I know the answer. My point is the first rule of gun safety is "the gun is always loaded".

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Do you personally know the gun owner?
    How do you know he knows not to bring a loaded gun to the show?
    It could have been his first show?
    May have been is car gun and he did not want to leave it in the car while he was at the show only to find out it was stolen later on.

I don't need to know someone to know an irresponsible gun owner. Accidents happen because people just don't know. Not knowing is not an excuse.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You know.... a firearm is always loaded, never trust the person that just handed it to you to tell you what condition the firearm is in, always check it yourself, because a firearm is always loaded...

It sounds like the Officer didn't point it at anything he wouldn't want to destroy or kill though...

Another note.... Even though one keeps the basic gun safety rules foremost in ones thoughts whenever they handle a firearm there are mistakes and they will happen to the best and most careful individuals... but we must strive not to let them sneak up on us and happen.... and never accept that they have happened...

Pulling the trigger was a major mistake, and the gun owner had made a grave mistake bringing the firearm loaded into the show. Those signs are on the door normally and he could have thought about it and went back to his car and unloaded in order to enter the building and stay within the guidelines of attending the show... The AD though was the Officers mistake though unfortunately because a firearm is always loaded... and should be treated as soooo.

Just saying...

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    While I completely support firearms freedom, the small amount of negligent discharges that seem to becoming more common at gun shows where loaded guns are prohibited tells me that prohibiting loaded firearms at gun shows is probably a pretty good idea. I know every single one of us is perfectly safe all the time and it would never happen to any of us, but you never know about that other guy. Crowds at gun shows are just too big to allow loaded firearms in them.

I have carried concealed at gun shows with no problems in the past. I stopped doing it since I knew I could if I wanted to. Now, I just secure my pistol in my vehicle while in the show. I willing to risk the odds. Besides can you imagine the chaos if a round goes off and most of the attendees are carrying? A 2nd shot will start a mass shooting. Me, I'm hitting the floor and getting under the nearest table. Squirreling myself away is my best tactical option.

airman0404

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    This thread seems to have been jacked to a complaining and finger pointing of the discharge. I asked how the show was and no response, so I went ahead and visited it. Well, if anymore else was wanting to know how it was: It was a waste of my time, but may be ok for others. It seemed that all the handguns were around $100 or so overpriced from before panic buying. Ar's aren't crazy priced but still a little inflated. Ammo was marked up, Pmags came down to $30+, and certain pistol mags just a little high. I walked away empty handed. Didn't seem like there were any bigger vendors, just small time people. If you don't have anything better to do, and don't mind spending $5, then go ahead and go.

Now for my .02 on the discharge. I mentioned at the inspection table that I head there was mishap and the sheriff jumped my **** and told me to keep my comments to myself if I wanted to attend the show. So I complied. Not worth the hassle with the LEO.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Man the show was very pathedic. Just a small amount of handguns, some nice shotguns and a lot of overpriced ARs. Really made me mad that it cost $5 for such a small show.
    But as I was leaving I spied a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag used for $695. I offered $650 and the dealer accepted my offer. Not a fantastic price, but a fair deal for us both. So I guess I need to change my mind about the show and say it was fantastic.
    As far as the accident the day before, few vendors were talking about it, but one vendor seemed to suggest that the owner of the gun told the Sheriff that the gun maybe loaded. He was selling the gun and didn't know how to clear the weapon. This is just hear say, but maybe it has some truth to the story.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Complacency kills. Both parties are at fault. the owner should of seen the signs and heard the people saying no loaded firearms and cleared his weapon before going in. The officer should of been doing his job as well. I have first hand experience with this in iraq my second tour just picked up cpl and was walking back from the motor pool with my buddy we just got back in the wire and cleared our weapons at the clearing barrels. My buddy is messing with his safety and pulls the trigger and bang he could of shot me or himself luckily no one saw it besides me and no one knew until we got back to okinawa. After that we both took the extra 15 sec to double check each other. People get too confident and become complacent because they have done the same thing day in and out. No excuses for either party and blame is split 50/50.

Frankowe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    LOFS
    Round was fired at CP Gun show!

So did anybody here about the cop who fired a round at the CP gun show, apparently he was at the front check in table, was handed a weapon, took out the mag, inserted the zip tag and pulled the trigger, A round was fired, he never cleared the chamber!!! Supposedly he yelled at the person who carried the gun in because it should have been unloaded, threw him out and I'm sure was definetaly embarassed, accidents can happen but he definetaly should have checked the gun!!!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    So did anybody here about the cop who fired a round at the CP gun show, apparently he was at the front check in table, was handed a weapon, took out the mag, inserted the zip tag and pulled the trigger, A round was fired, he never cleared the chamber!!! Supposedly he yelled at the person who carried the gun in because it should have been unloaded, threw him out and I'm sure was definetaly embarassed, accidents can happen but he definetaly should have checked the gun!!!

Curious as to where he inserted the zip tag. At the 1500, it is either up through the mag well and out the ejecton port, or through the barrel, either of which would require racking the slide thus ejecting the round in the chamber. :dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

I can't find the post but it's hear on INGO someowhere.

Summary is
    1) Guy brings in loded gun into the bldg where CP gun show is at
    2) Stop at the check in booth and give the gun to LEO and tells him he does not know if it's loaded is going to sell it
    3) LEO drops the mag, put the zip tie, points gun down at table and pulls the trigger and BAM!!! round into the table
    4) CP promoters come over
    5) The kick the guy out for bring a loaded weapon into the bldg

Top Bottom