• Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Safety Training in order...:rolleyes:

Person shot in Marion Co. crime lab mishap

Posted: March 10, 2010

A person was shot today while a gun was being tested in a crime lab below the Marion County Jail in Downtown.
    Sheriff’s spokesman Julio Fernandez said a person was testing a gun at the police crime lab when it accidentally discharged and a bullet grazed someone.

The accident happened about 2:30 p.m.

The Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency is on the first and second floors of the jail, at 40 S. Alabama St.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    A person was shot today while a gun was being tested in a crime lab below the Marion County Jail in Downtown.
    Sheriff’s spokesman Julio Fernandez said a person was testing a gun at the police crime lab when it accidentally discharged and a bullet grazed someone.

The accident happened about 2:30 p.m.

Wow. What an informative article! Chock full of information. "A person" was shot at "about 2:30."

"A person" was testing a gun. It discharged. "Someone" was grazed. Presumably somewhere on their body. They are in some kind of condition at [the doctor's office|home|Malibu] after [refusing treatment|riding in Amber Lance|finding their missing parts]. They are expected to fully [recover|die].

"The person" who shot "the person" is being [investigated|suspended pending investigation|promoted to captain].

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    Wow. What an informative article! Chock full of information. "A person" was shot at "about 2:30."

"A person" was testing a gun. It discharged. "Someone" was grazed. Presumably somewhere on their body. They are in some kind of condition at [the doctor's office|home|Malibu] after [refusing treatment|riding in Amber Lance|finding their missing parts]. They are expected to fully [recover|die].

"The person" who shot "the person" is being [investigated|suspended pending investigation|promoted to captain].
    Channel 13 gave that same account. Maybe more info later :dunno:

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    That's what happens when they try to be the first one to release the story!! Then no one has all of the information - but they all "Broke" the story! LOL!

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    it accidentally discharged

I really hate the way the media seems to always state it this way. NO "it" didn't "accidently" go off all by itself - someone didn't follow the basic rules of gun safety and shot someone else.........

OK...or themselves!

Last edited:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    According to Channel 8 last night a firearms tech was testing a cap and ball gun, fired it and had a riccochet graze his own head. :rolleyes:Not the first time that IPD firearms "experts" :bash: have shot themselves. :oldwise:I remember in the mid - late 70's one shot himself through the hand with an "unloaded" handgun. He forgot to clear the chamber.:ugh:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Cap and Ball revolver? It may have been in a loaded condition for a considerable amount of time, and who knows what kind of shape the caps were in, or if the lab even got the right size caps.

My guess is, the firing was delayed, and he looked down the barrel "Elmer Fudd" style. :twocents:

I bet he still thinks he & his "colleagues" are the only ones "pruhfess'nul 'nuff to shoot this 1851 Army".

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    You may be right I don't know, however you would hope if they were going to be handling firearms they would get something?:dunno:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Actually, the guy who was injured is a retired homicide detective and former SWAT guy who, as a crime scene technician, still carries a badge and qualifies 4 times a year. He and I have shot on the range together, and he is a good shot and good person. In fact, he carries a Kimber as his duty gun, and gets quite good scores. The pistol in question was a old cap and ball that blew apart when he fired it in the bullet trap. The gun came to them loaded and he was discharging it to make it safe. the action blew apart and that's what injured him.

Prayers for a speedy recovery M.....

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hmm. If I were discharging a "cap and ball" that came to me "loaded," it would probably be in a vice and done remotely.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Actually, the guy who was injured is a retired homicide detective and former SWAT guy who, as a crime scene technician, still carries a badge and qualifies 4 times a year. He and I have shot on the range together, and he is a good shot and good person. In fact, he carries a Kimber as his duty gun, and gets quite good scores. The pistol in question was a old cap and ball that blew apart when he fired it in the bullet trap. The gun came to them loaded and he was discharging it to make it safe. the action blew apart and that's what injured him.

Prayers for a speedy recovery M.....
    I know him, great guy. I thought it was one of the younger guys that was injured. Oh well. It can happen (and has happened) to the best of us.

Top Bottom