• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I dont remember you having to buy ammo at Dons to shoot. Its been a couple of years since i've been there though.

If you rent a gun from them to shoot they make you pay huge for the ammo.
    $700.00 for a Bursa. Them putting her in a Bursa is a crime in itself. I work with a brain damaged individual that buys everything from them. He bought a Bursa
    in .40 from them and it is pure crap. I have done all I can to help this person but I am finding it true, "You can not fix STUPID"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been in Don's twice in five years. Both times in the first 6 months I moved here. Once to see what was there ($500 Kel Tec P32s?!?!?!?) The second time because I really, really, really, really wanted to shoot a new gun when it was 8F outside and I couldn't make it to Pop's - not that I'm a Pop's fan either. The range seems ill-equipped and riddled with folks who know nothing about gun safety. When your time is up? Oh, they TURN THE LIGHTS OFF. Yeah... that's safe.

Anyway, not been in since and warned people away from there as well. Prices? Well, each time I was in the place was packed. Packed with folks who looked like they were narrowly skating away from a Rico conviction for gang activity, but packed nonetheless. Someone is paying those prices.

I look at it like this: I can buy a bottle of 500-count aspirin from WalMart for $8 or I can buy two in a foil pack from Village Pantry for $2.59. I'm paying for convenience. The mall store, with higher overhead and impulse buyers, will price higher than a discount big-box or even the internet. Heck, us knife guys encourage brick-and-mortar stores and INGO encourages us to use Site Sponsors even though we can get the item frequently cheaper at an online vendor.

We pay a premium to enhance our shopping experience, for convenience or even to support a particular retailer and their customer service. Don's is doing something for his clientele to keep them coming back in droves or he wouldn't still be in business. Maybe it is simply providing a place for that particular cultural demographic to shop where they don't feel like they're being eyeballed as criminals by the part-time employees who are LEO full-time or reserve.

Man, I'm really NOT defending Don's. I find him repugnant. I think his place is unsafe and ratty. I'm surprised the range passes any inspection. The prices are RIDICULOUSLY high. I'm definitely not part of the demographic he serves. Still... he must be doing something right in that business model to be making a profit.

I would be frustrated if my wife unknowingly went to Don's and spent 3.5 times normal pricing to buy a gift for me. I would be likewise frustrated if, me asking for 500 aspirin, if she spent $647.50 for 250 foil packs from Village Pantry.

Just my opinion... If I dislike a retailer and their practices, I vote with my dollars.

Right on!!!!

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I found out today that the female that works adjacent to me has a lifetime permit. I found this out after she told me that she had a gun. Then she told me that she bought the gun at Don's guns.:rolleyes: She was robbed and the police officer that came to the scene told her to get a weapon and shoot someone when they came in her house.:yesway: Well, I asked her how much she paid for her Bersa .380. She said she got a warranty, a range session, and box of ammo for ....wait for it....
    $700.00!!!

Damn...that's harsh...:facepalm: I went to Don's once after I turned 21 and will never go back. Everyone in the store looked shady, and the guy behind the counter I swear was high and smelled like marijuana. Also I didn't appreciate getting yelled at when I was checking a text I got because you can't be on your cell phone in the store.. I didn't know that coming in but all the same I didn't appreciate the reaction they gave me. Combined with their ludacris prices that place just sucks *** overall. :noway:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    If you rent a gun from them to shoot they make you pay huge for the ammo.
    $700.00 for a Bursa. Them putting her in a Bursa is a crime in itself. I work with a brain damaged individual that buys everything from them. He bought a Bursa
    in .40 from them and it is pure crap. I have done all I can to help this person but I am finding it true, "You can not fix STUPID"

OK, first of all---IT'S "BERSA" not "BURSA" "B E R S A" Are you sure you don't want to rethink the "STUPID" comment??? :rolleyes:

Second, there is nothing wrong with a "BERSA." My wife had a BERSA 380 Plus that functioned flawlessly. I currently own a BERSA 40 Cal and I am actually quite happy with it. Thankyouverymuch. :D

I will agree wholeheartedly though that $700 is more than twice what it is worth, but in this lady's case, that was most likely "ignorance" aka "lack of knowledge" rather than stupidity. (We'll give her the benefit of the doubt without knowing her.)

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    In today's world with all the info available on the web, I really can't feel too sorry for someone that does something like that. Impulse buying? Cute salesperson?..I doubt it. Too bad there wasn't an undercover camera. I wonder if guys that work there get paid bonus on "ignorant customer sales" ?

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Second, there is nothing wrong with a "BERSA." My wife had a BERSA 380 Plus that functioned flawlessly. I currently own a BERSA 40 Cal and I am actually quite happy with it. Thankyouverymuch. :D

I will agree wholeheartedly though that $700 is more than twice what it is worth, but in this lady's case, that was most likely "ignorance" aka "lack of knowledge" rather than stupidity. (We'll give her the benefit of the doubt without knowing her.)

Love my Bersa Mini-firestorm .45. Not my Glock, but didn't come with the Glock price tag either. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Holy excrement, Batman! I took my son there once just to absorb the atmosphere, and showed him something for about 700 I'd just paid 500 a few minutes before at Bradis(shameless plug) but a Bersa .380? She should've gotten one and a spare at that price.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Some places do prey on women! A few years ago I asked my wife to take her van to Jiffy Lube for a quick oil change. I realize they are a bit high, but it was freezing and her van needed it. When she got home I asked if it was about $30-40. :eek: She replied that it cost her $80 dollars! They convinced her she needed the the highest quality oil, the best quality filter, an oil cleanser, the high mileage oil and an air filter! :D

I called to complain and all I got was a voice mail. Lesson Learned!

Anyway, I do hope she learned her lesson!

Top Bottom