• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Why is it that the more I read these threads about Don's, I want to go there? There must be something wrong in my brain. I read about how aweful the place is, but for some reason I feel I need to go there and experience it for myself.

Sorry to hear your friend got swindled out of 700 bones. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for her, and now you both can go shooting together.

go once, them go home & shower 10 times..

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I'm no supporter of Don but I'm sure this isn't true. He makes his money off of poor consumers who don't research and educate themselves on what they are buying.

In multiple ATF reports more guns used in crimes come from his store than just about any other in the COUNTRY...A while back he was notorious for allowing straw purchases.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    In multiple ATF reports more guns used in crimes come from his store than just about any other in the COUNTRY...A while back he was notorious for allowing straw purchases.

It doesn't matter where the guns come from if they were purchased legally. I know there are reputable gun shops that sell guns that are used in crimes too. Being known for allowing straw purchases and actually doing it are two different things.

You can blame ol Don all you want but it's poor consumers who keep him in business not shady deals.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I know you are using the word criminal in a colloquial sense but i would not say criminal but unethical and greedy.

There may be no law against it, but maybe I do mean criminal. Charging someone more than double the retail price is sleezy and dishonest, and I believe -- fraudulent... I just can't put a name on it.

She should have gotten two guns and a case of ammo for her $700.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    well...

it is wrong but not criminal....it is definitely unethical....that is where the saying "BUYER, BEWARE" comes from
    There may be no law against it, but maybe I do mean criminal. Charging someone more than double the retail price is sleezy and dishonest, and I believe -- fraudulent... I just can't put a name on it.

She should have gotten two guns and a case of ammo for her $700.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    He effectively stole $400 from her. There's no law against what he did, but that's what he did.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Why is it that the more I read these threads about Don's, I want to go there? There must be something wrong in my brain. I read about how aweful the place is, but for some reason I feel I need to go there and experience it for myself.

Sorry to hear your friend got swindled out of 700 bones. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for her, and now you both can go shooting together.
    It's worth going at least once. And as it's been said go home and shower afterwards.
    Go in and pretend to be completely clueless and see how it goes. I was offered a Kel-Tec 380 for around $550. But if I was purchasing it today he'd throw in some range time and a 10% discount. I forget what bullets were going to cost, but it was about twice as much as anywhere else. Filling out paperwork for a NIC was never mentioned, even when I said I just give you the money and I could walk out of here with gun?
    Yep that's it.
    I would hope the paperwork would have come up if I'd gone through with the deal. Of course, I had no intention of going through with it. I was just curious what the place was like.
    I wonder if Sanchez from channel 6 would be interested in doing a news piece on the store and pricing? Wouldn't you love to see the look on Don's face when Sanchez comes up cameras rolling asking about his overpricing? :popcorn:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    It would be interesting to see the receipt (assuming one was given) just to see exactly how much each item was. Did he over charge on everything or throw in the ammo and/or the range time free? Was the warranty extra? Did SHE exaggerate what she paid? And since it was raised earlier, did it cost more because no forms were filled out?

Some times strange questions pop in my head.

Homebrew

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    It's the same as someone going to only one car dealership, with out doing research, and saying, " What car should I buy?" As sketchy as D may be, if he can get people to buy at his inflated prices, good for him. It's not hard to find the going rate of anything these days.

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    It shows the power of advertising...plain and simple....first thing that came to her mind.....advertising pays.....sometimes really really pays :>)
    now...if you want my KelTec 3AT and ask what I want and I say $400 and you reach for your wallet.....you better be really nice cause I just might let you buy it
    ...lets not blame someone for making such a profit...bought an Ipod lately
    ....lets not see someone who doesn't do their homework as a victim...
    sure, Don's a sleaze ball....the buying public lets him be

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I found out today that the female that works adjacent to me has a lifetime permit. I found this out after she told me that she had a gun. Then she told me that she bought the gun at Don's guns.:rolleyes: She was robbed and the police officer that came to the scene told her to get a weapon and shoot someone when they came in her house.:yesway: Well, I asked her how much she paid for her Bersa .380. She said she got a warranty, a range session, and box of ammo for ....wait for it....
    $700.00!!!
    Damn! Ol' Don should be taken outside and spanked.:n00b:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    He feeds on the uninformed.

I went to the range on Thursday and ran into a young man and his Grandmother. He only had a shotgun, but his Grandmother had 2 or 3 pistols that belonged to her Husband. He passed away a few years back, and then her neighbors house was robbed. She got worried that someone would break into her house and steal the guns (59 of them she said). She didn't have a safe or anything, but she did see a commercial for Don's Guns. So she took all the guns but 2 or 3 to Don and got a "fair price" she thought.

yeah right. I didn't have the heart to tell her she got ripped off and bad.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Don is a competitor, and I would love to pile on.... BUT:

If his paperwork was not PERFECT and all of his sales legal, HE WOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS. While we may disagree with his business plan, IT'S HIS BUSINESS, and he does a ton of it!

I admire him for offering cash rewards for the recent murders of two innocent young people, and when his shop was broken into.

Want to stop people from being 'victimized' at Don's? Please send me a check for any amount and I will run more TV commercials than I currently do in order to take some of his business from him. :D

I do what I can. ;)

Top Bottom