• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    My concern on this hypothetically designed holster is that it is modified. IF you were to ever have an AD/ND while drawing or re-holstering and someone were injured you would have a huge liability issue IMO because it would immediately be brought up that you modified the holster and created an unsafe unsafe environment with your extra piece.

I don't think wanting a piece between the hammer and firing pin is bad, and I do not think it is needed. But IF the unthinkable were to happen, you should be aware of what others could try to construe.

I think what Scout6a posted would be the best bet for your piece of mind with the least amount of hassle, while minimizing possible future negative consequences.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    " The problem is the reholstering. We reholster the same we draw only in reverse"

In a hurry when drawing. Not in a hurry when reholstering.

"Might slow the reholster a second."

"Your extra flap could come into contact with the trigger during reholstering. You may never have been timed on reholstering, but have you ever done so after shooting someone or another high adrenaline encounter? Simple tasks are now less simple..."

Implies that "normal" training speed of reholstering after such an event could lead to bad things due to the extra strap.

No it doesn't and you know better. Reholstering is not a timed event and I think at this point we all know and accept that. In fact I am not even a big fan of reholstering while not even glancing at the holster. By reholstering as we draw we are referring to keeping your support hand away and drawing straight up and out of the holster in one fluid movement with finger off and away from the trigger. Holsters that collapse on themselves or have straps don't allow us to reholster in the same manner.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Your extra flap could come into contact with the trigger during reholstering. You may never have been timed on reholstering, but have you ever done so after shooting someone or another high adrenaline encounter? Simple tasks are now less simple..."

Implies that "normal" training speed of reholstering after such an event could lead to bad things due to the extra strap.

OP is talking about MODIFYING a holster to have something an extra flap INSIDE the holster. This is NOT THE SAME as a retention strap. If you fail to see how something jutting out into the interior of your holster could present a safety risk, I can't help you.

I'm thinkin of maybe plastic welding a short flap to the holster to just stick out between frame and hammer?

Anything added to the interior of the holster is something that can snag in the trigger guard and push the trigger.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if you really wish to have a hammer block strap research holster makers and get one made to do that, modifications may not work out so well. Plenty of makers can make a holster that has this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have given several holsters away after trying an idea and realizing a better design to try next. Somewhere in Indianapolis is an Indianapolis police officer with one of my holsters that enables him to carry concealed with your shirt tucked in. This was way back before Ahern Stole what I was doing! (ok, Ahern's work is nicer but I was doing it before him) The guy was so interested in my holster that I just gave it to him. It had been only about 30 minutes work to make and he made a suggestion to turn the belt loop into a belt keyring as camouflage and to distract from any suspicions. Now my newer holster is a better and more refined design.

Dave Workman was the first guy to do tuckable holsters commercially, by the way.

If I remember right Shawn has a CZ. It is fine to carry cocked and locked. If you drop it hammer up or down is irrelevant. If the hammer slips the sear the half cock will catch and or a firing pin stop will engage. We can go out to the range and try some of this stuff out if you want.

If carrying a CZ cocked and locked makes him nervous, why not just carry it with the hammer down in double action mode?

Five days of professional instruction is a good start, but it doesn't negate the possibility that this is a training issue.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If in the unlikely case as a holstered pistol gets bumped(hit ,dropped, hammered ,will of god, kicked by your infant son who does all sorts of impossible **** ) just right and discharges

Unload your firearm.
    Check that it is unloaded.
    Check again.
    Check once more...

Position your EMPTY 1911 with the slide at full battery (fully forward), hammer back (fully cocked), thumb safety ON.
    Holster it.
    Bump it.
    Hit it.
    Jump around.
    Lay on the floor and roll over several times back and forth.
    Stand up. Bend all around. Twist. Grab your holster/belt rig and shake the daylights out of it.
    Mimic an infant foot kicking at it.

Please report back if the hammer has fallen at all.

If not... you should have gained a modicum of confidence in this condition of carry and will likely ditch the idea of adding a suicide strap.

That is all.

Jet out.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    And now it's a "suicide strap!". LMAO
    I have got to wonder how many offering up advice on this subject have ever had bullets flying past their head so close they heard the crack of them or have ever fired a shot in anger at another human.
    Scout out.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I have got to wonder how many offering up advice on this subject have ever had bullets flying past their head so close they heard the crack of them or have ever fired a shot in anger at another human.
    Scout out.
    1.) WTF does being shot at have to do with a useless holster mod???:scratch:
    2.) How exactly does a cracking bullet sound?:popcorn:
    3.) Shooting at someone in anger is a good way to get put in prison.:ugh:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Scout out.

Some of us. So have thugs with Hi-points riding in their waistbands. I'm not sure what expertise the experience grants to the topic at hand, though.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    And now it's a "suicide strap!".

Really? The nomenclature is the only take-away you got from that comment?
    Dude, did you actually test out any of the suggestions? Or did you just need to whine about a word that's been around for a very long time?
    Test the freakin' EMPTY gun in condition 1 carry.
    You're doing everything but.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    JetGirl, that was my post about your suicide strap comment, not the OP. I actually have no issues with condition 1 carry. I was just playing devil's advocate for the OP.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    JetGirl, that was my post about your suicide strap comment, not the OP. I actually have no issues with condition 1 carry. I was just playing devil's advocate for the OP.
    That's good.
    Because I was about two seconds away from releasing the monkey minions. And they have not had coffee yet either.

And also...
    I have got to wonder how many offering up advice on this subject have ever had bullets flying past their head so close they heard the crack of them
    You can count me in there with an ND from the other side of a table.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I wouldn't call it a training issue for the OP, I would say it is trusting your equipment. It's good he is thinking about safety but he is questioning a tested and proven design. Now, do I think he would shoot his toe off with his modified holster? No. He was asking about adding a tiny flap of Kydex (probably 1/16" thick) Unless his EDC has an 8 ounce trigger pull, then it might be a concern.
    Hopefully he would see over time that it is unnecessary and unmod it or get a different holster. Just remember Murphy's Law. If it's stupid and works, it's not stupid. Necessity is also the mother of invention. Maybe one day the OP could come up with a great mod to something if we don't crush him here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I mostly use a pocket holster and that's a little different, but I must be the only guy here who has to look at his holster and use both hands to get the gun back in. What a klutz! you guys with your speed re-holstering must be some kind of cowboys or something.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I mostly use a pocket holster and that's a little different, but I must be the only guy here who has to look at his holster and use both hands to get the gun back in. What a klutz! you guys with your speed re-holstering must be some kind of cowboys or something.
    I don't "speed" reholster, but the top of the (leather) sleeve is constructed in a way that keeps it open for easy reholstering (one-handed). I normally don't look either, unless I'm wearing layers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Not really following you here. I actually do take a quick glance at my holster. Some schools teach never to take your eyes from down range. Personally I quick glance is OK with me. I do bring my support hand back to my chest to reholster. I have been called for pointing a gun at my own hand or leg trying to reholster a gun in leather with the retention strap.

For the record no where in this thread has anybody mentioned speed reholstering as a reason not to have a strap. Some departments require the strap, I can understand the additional comfort for having a strap, the first holsters I bought all had a strap.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't "speed" reholster, but the top of the (leather) sleeve is constructed in a way that keeps it open for easy reholstering (one-handed). I normally don't look either, unless I'm wearing layers.

I am with you 100%. Proper holster does notcollapse on itself. Reason I do not mind a little cheater glance is that cover garments, shirt tails and danglies from jackets get places they should not be. Had a friend pop one off and grazed his leg not long ago. Combination of speed and a rain coat. You may have read about him on INGO?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I am with you 100%. Proper holster does notcollapse on itself. Reason I do not mind a little cheater glance is that cover garments, shirt tails and danglies from jackets get places they should not be. Had a friend pop one off and grazed his leg not long ago. Combination of speed and a rain coat. You may have read about him on INGO?
    I recall a drawstring culprit or something maybe?
    But yeah... I carry IWB and if I'm wearing one shirt, I pretty much don't look because I can feel it when I clear everything away & upward with my left hand while I'm holstering with my right. Game plan changes if I have a second shirt (or vest or hoodie or jacket/coat/etc.) on... I for dang sure look.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    You'll shoot your eye out, I don't think you are that much of a rarity. From the sounds of things, some of these people must just walk around all day with their gun in their hand. LOL Gotta watch out for those cowboys and couch commandos.

JetGirl, being on the wrong side of a ND certainly does count.

Top Bottom