• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, it's non-productive to criticize. Anyone can do that (and often do), yet fail to provide an actual solution to the question / problem.

My suggestion would be to buy (or adapt) a holster that uses a thumb break between the hammer and the slide. As noted above, there are already holsters on the market designed in this manner, just not familiar with specific models (sorry, not a 1911 guy, though I've owned them). If the OP doesn't want to purchase one, they can certainly utilize images of them to come up with a similar design. A good holster design, for whatever handgun, will not inhibit the draw, yet provide the safety aspect the OP is seeking.

BTW, there was at least one YouTube video posted on INGO where the shooter was using an (IIRC) ALS holster with a 1911-style pistol. The design of the holster permitted the 1911 thumb safety to be clicked off while engaging the holster release. This permitted the shooter to draw the firearm with NO safety engaged (the grip safety, as we know, is disengaged when gripping the 1911).

Obviously, 'booger hook on finger' was an issue, as it usually is. But, people complain all the time about CQC holsters, that it's the 'holster's fault', so 'obviously' the same 'must' be true with the ALS (or whatever it was in the video) holster for the 1911.

Someone mentioned the Glock, but that's addressed in the SAME way posters here have addressed the 1911 'training' problem. "Booger hook off trigger" until needed. That's a training 'issue' with ALL handguns, and ALL firearms.

Finally, it should be noted that, statistically, whether it's firearms or safety in general, time is NOT your 'friend'. Vastly more 'accidents' are caused by the 'experienced' than by the 'newbie'. "I've been doing such and such for 10 (or 20, 30, whatever) years" statistically means that person has a MUCH higher probability of having an accident in that area of 'expertise'. There's a reason 'familiarity breeds contempt' is a truism.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I stitch all of my own holsters. It ain't hard and for the price of just one commercial holster you can get a lifetime supply of holster stuff to work on.

I have one of those Remington style derringers that as we all know, will go off if the air touches it. when I carry this (rarely) my pocket holster has a tall flap that wraps the hammer to protect it while on half-cock. The flap is long enough and is formed to fold back upon itself so as to place a leather barrier between the hammer face and the frame, thus acting as a shock absorbing hammer block if the half cock should ever fail or if it's ever dropped.

while drawing said mouse-gun, you simply flip the flap inside-out with your thumb as you are pulling it. If you would consider another hobby (minor leather work), you can have any holster feature that you want. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination, and it's very relaxing too.

I have given several holsters away after trying an idea and realizing a better design to try next. Somewhere in Indianapolis is an Indianapolis police officer with one of my holsters that enables him to carry concealed with your shirt tucked in. This was way back before Ahern Stole what I was doing! (ok, Ahern's work is nicer but I was doing it before him) The guy was so interested in my holster that I just gave it to him. It had been only about 30 minutes work to make and he made a suggestion to turn the belt loop into a belt keyring as camouflage and to distract from any suspicions. Now my newer holster is a better and more refined design.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Thanks
    Moderngunner and you'll shoot yet eye out. I'm not sure leather is my thing but your little derringer strap sounds exactly like what I'm after in my kydex.
    Now for most of the rest of you internet experts , sorry for wasting your time with my moronic question and apologies for your having to take the time to tell me. Thank you i try motto have any more ****nuts questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks
    Moderngunner and you'll shoot yet eye out. I'm not sure leather is my thing but your little derringer strap sounds exactly like what I'm after in my kydex.
    Now for most of the rest of you internet experts , sorry for wasting your time with my moronic question and apologies for your having to take the time to tell me. Thank you i try motto have any more ****nuts questions.

Ok then. I guess I was wasting my time trying to post something helpful and supportive.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thanks

:rolleyes: :mods:

You've received a lot of good advice in this thread. Just because it's not what you want to hear, doesn't make it untrue.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    No I do truly appreciate the help that was offered , got a little one tracked by all the mockery. I apologize for the tone of that last post. It just baffles me how much trouble people will go through to I guess feel cool I really don't know why they bother.
    Thank you to all that offered helpful advice or ideas.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    :rolleyes: :mods:

You've received a lot of good advice in this thread. Just because it's not what you want to hear, doesn't make it untrue.
    I retread entire post and you only offered mockery and now want in on the credit for good advice. Good advice that went out of its way not to attempt to answer my question.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    There was no mockery just advice you didn't like. Fine. Don't take the advice.
    I'm going through this now with my 17 yr old son. He can't imaging paying good money on a good quality belt to carry a hand gun on.
    But then he's never carried a pistol around all day either.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There was no mockery just advice you didn't like. Fine. Don't take the advice.
    I'm going through this now with my 17 yr old son. He can't imaging paying good money on a good quality belt to carry a hand gun on.
    But then he's never carried a pistol around all day either.

I bought about three or four $20 belts at Walmart before I realized I should have just popped for the good gunbelt. I found a nice thick one at the gun show for $40.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Name calling etc is not the mark of intellegence. We, for the most part, attempted to give you sound advice based on our expeience. Believe me when I say that not all the people you lumped into your "internet experts" comment. Some of us do carry or have carried as part of our duties in places that many others wouldn't think of even going. You are making comments that show a certain lack of humility that others may know what they are talking about. You brought the question up and were told the truth. At 33 years old, you just might not know what you don't know.
    Hang around and you may see that most of us disagree with each other on a regular basis but we respect each others right to be wrong:whistle:

Bob

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I know Shawn and I also know he has received 5 days of professional instruction from a well respected nationally recognized instructor. This is not a training issue but rather a confidence in the weapon issue. He has an infant son and as such is very protective and concerned about safety. That is not at all a bad thing. My guess he is more concerned about doing making a bonehead mistake then he is about trying to outdraw the ninjas in a gunfight. Having a strap that goes between the hammer and firing pin is not a silly idea.

If I remember right Shawn has a CZ. It is fine to carry cocked and locked. If you drop it hammer up or down is irrelevant. If the hammer slips the sear the half cock will catch and or a firing pin stop will engage. We can go out to the range and try some of this stuff out if you want.

Now my personal opinion is a strap is just something else to get the gun caught up in. A properly designed holster with retention should not slow the draw significantly. The problem is the reholstering. We reholster the same we draw only in reverse.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I guess I really don't get the concerns that several have posted about reholstering. I have carried handguns for 28 years, on the civilian side, high profile security in the private sector and 22 1/2 years in combat arms in the Army. The speed of reholstering has never been an issue. Can't recall one time when speed was of the essence when returning my sidearm to the holster. If you have a legitimate reason to draw your sidearm in defense of yourself or others you have no need to treat the reholster as a timed event.
    Please enlighten me on what I have missed in three decades.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I guess I really don't get the concerns that several have posted about reholstering. I have carried handguns for 28 years, on the civilian side, high profile security in the private sector and 22 1/2 years in combat arms in the Army. The speed of reholstering has never been an issue. Can't recall one time when speed was of the essence when returning my sidearm to the holster. If you have a legitimate reason to draw your sidearm in defense of yourself or others you have no need to treat the reholster as a timed event.

Your extra flap could come into contact with the trigger during reholstering. You may never have been timed on reholstering, but have you ever done so after shooting someone or another high adrenaline encounter? Simple tasks are now less simple...If you really want a holster that has a strap under the hammer, buy one that's designed that way.

Modifying holsters in ways that something can get stuck in the trigger guard unless you manipulate it in a certain way prior to reholstering makes the system less safe, not more safe, overall.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    The pistol design you are talking about is 103 years old this year. You are the snowflake that has found a critical flaw in it and it needs fixed..

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    We'll I suppose I will have to train myself to achieve confidence in the same way as you do! If in the unlikely case as a holstered pistol gets bumped(hit ,dropped, hammered ,will of god, kicked by your infant son who does all sorts of impossible **** ) just right and discharges I won't ever have to think, man is there anything at a I could have done to further prevent this from happening to me anything at a that could have changed this situation mAybe a small flap of plastic in just the right spot. Nope I trained and now I'm free of regret.
    Im not imposing anything on any one you carry and train your way. But to stop asking can I make "it " better stands it all still. I think I can have the extra safety and the speed of condition one carry with no downfalls at all. All with a small "L" shaped flap of plastic between my frame and hammer , it would simply move out of way on the draw. Might slow the reholster a second. But I've. Never once been timed on holstering

Glock, modern 1911's of just about any make, sigs, kimbers, rugers name your brand. None of them will discharge if bumped, dropped, poked, looked at funny or thrown down your driveway. Put the thing in a holster that retains it and covers the trigger leave it alone, keep your hands off of it, it will not gain sentience. You are being dramatic. Stop it.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Nowhere has anybody mentioned reholstering quickly. If your employer requires a retention strap that is one thing. Otherwise I have owned holsters with and without straps and a properly fitted holster without a retention strap is a safe design.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    " The problem is the reholstering. We reholster the same we draw only in reverse"

In a hurry when drawing. Not in a hurry when reholstering.

"Might slow the reholster a second."

"Your extra flap could come into contact with the trigger during reholstering. You may never have been timed on reholstering, but have you ever done so after shooting someone or another high adrenaline encounter? Simple tasks are now less simple..."

Implies that "normal" training speed of reholstering after such an event could lead to bad things due to the extra strap.

Top Bottom