• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I just can't bring myself to complete confidence on cocked and locked carry, my murex holster holds the safety "on" and covers the trigger, firing pin block is in working order I've got all the safety features . I just think I would like an extra barrier to accidental hammer fall, I'm thinkin of maybe plastic welding a short flap to the holster to just stick out between frame and hammer? Any one have any ideas that might be better or easier? I used to pocket carry an old derringer with out a transfer bar system and bent a small u shape of coat hanger that the hammer could rest on so it couldn't strike firing pin , and it fell away as gun was cocked.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    It's a training issue, not an equipment issue. If you can't gain the confidence thru training you either need a different weapon or need to not carry.

Bob

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If you can't carry a gun cocked and locked either buy another gun without that type of carry or don't carry at all. More safety features make for a slower response and thus death for the carrier.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    It's a training issue, not an equipment issue. If you can't gain the confidence thru training you either need a different weapon or need to not carry.

Bob
    Wow 5 minutes for a quality answer thanks.
    So an additional safety feature requiring no additional time or thought do employ the weapon is so stupid I shouldn't even carry for thinking it. I was thinking something like the thumb break on the 1911 holster just woulnt need to snap into anything on the side

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Been carrying a Condition 1 1911 in an open top Milt Sparks holster for a long time, have never had any issues.

It IS a training (or confidence issue), almost everyone has concerns when they first start carrying Condition 1. If it makes you feel better, carry with an empty chamber for a while and see if anything moves. If not, you're good to go.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Flatlander's advice is sound. Clearly it is a training issue if you think it wont take any more time to remove another layer of safety, especially under stress. I wouldnt go so far as to say you needent carry at all, but it appears that "cocked and locked" is not for you with your current level of training.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a galco holster for an officers model 1911 that the thumb break retainer strap is made to latch around a cocked hammer. The hammer safety in that particular pistol is very stiff, but the leather strap makes one more level of safety that does not get in the way.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I prefer a holster with a thumb break. With practice, unsnapping the thumb break can be done as part of unholstering in one smooth movement, not as an extra step.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thumbbreaks etc are for retention, NOT for the users confidence of whatever weapon they are carrying. I carried Summer Speciel cond 1 for as many years as I carried a 1911 which was roughly 20+ yrs. If you don't have the confidence in your weapon and your training then you either need to change the weapon you carry or up your training. Seems pretty simple. Adding anything to an open top holster, good or bad, does add another step whether it's unconsious (thru TRAINING) or not.

Bob

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    We'll I suppose I will have to train myself to achieve confidence in the same way as you do! If in the unlikely case as a holstered pistol gets bumped(hit ,dropped, hammered ,will of god, kicked by your infant son who does all sorts of impossible **** ) just right and discharges I won't ever have to think, man is there anything at a I could have done to further prevent this from happening to me anything at a that could have changed this situation mAybe a small flap of plastic in just the right spot. Nope I trained and now I'm free of regret.
    Im not imposing anything on any one you carry and train your way. But to stop asking can I make "it " better stands it all still. I think I can have the extra safety and the speed of condition one carry with no downfalls at all. All with a small "L" shaped flap of plastic between my frame and hammer , it would simply move out of way on the draw. Might slow the reholster a second. But I've. Never once been timed on holstering

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Do what ever you need to do to gain confidence in what you carry. I would recommend going with a factory holster, as others have pointed out, that will do what you want. I wouldn't trust my home made safety mod to consol me after any of your scenerios You had asked a question that was replied to based on MY experience over the course of over 35 years of CC. I have raised 6 kids from diapers to college and beyond with no issues. Am I just lucky? I doubt it. Have fun.

Bob

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Since you are not open to the sound advice presented so far, I will address your original question: no, I can't think of any flaps or anything to put on the holster to block the hammer.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    We'll I suppose I will have to train myself to achieve confidence in the same way as you do! If in the unlikely case as a holstered pistol gets bumped(hit ,dropped, hammered ,will of god, kicked by your infant son who does all sorts of impossible **** ) just right and discharges I won't ever have to think, man is there anything at a I could have done to further prevent this from happening to me anything at a that could have changed this situation mAybe a small flap of plastic in just the right spot. Nope I trained and now I'm free of regret.
    Im not imposing anything on any one you carry and train your way. But to stop asking can I make "it " better stands it all still. I think I can have the extra safety and the speed of condition one carry with no downfalls at all. All with a small "L" shaped flap of plastic between my frame and hammer , it would simply move out of way on the draw. Might slow the reholster a second. But I've. Never once been timed on holstering

:rolleyes:......Yer waaaaay over-think'n a sound/ proven design/system (1911)........

when ya change you EDC.......with all'at worry.......a Glock should be you last choice......:rolleyes:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    They make OWB pancake holsters with a retention strap designed for cocked and locked carry. I had one for a Hi Power. Carried it for years. The strap blocked the hammer from falling. No problems with drawing. Two issues though: the strap very often came unbuttoned when moving around so what's the use, and the strap gets in the way of reholstering. Honestly the strap being in the way is a bigger safety concern then the safety dropping.

1911s have both the trigger and grip safety. If the hammer slips the sear it should catch the half cock. Many guns even have a firing pin block. Honestly the 1911s are arguably safer then a Glock

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Here is my current EDC holster. It is a Bianchi. The strap provides retention and additional safety.
    20140621_112606_zps4lwlihfr.jpg
    [/IMG]
    20140621_112546_zpsas3nup1r.jpg
    [/IMG]

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    My Star is a 1911 clone and does not have the grip safety. The strap on mine never comes undone during daily activities. Not sure how the strap getting in the way while reholstering would be a bigger safety issue than a hammer fall. ???? Reholstering is a non issue with this setup. Can be done with the strong hand by inserting the muzzle into the holster at a slight forward angle and then rotating the rear of the slide forward under the strap. As stated above, I have never been timed on a reholster. ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Devil's advocate time.

Your extra flap could come into contact with the trigger during reholstering. You may never have been timed on reholstering, but have you ever done so after shooting someone or another high adrenaline encounter? Simple tasks are now less simple. Forgetting to flip the safety back on is a real possibility. Its why I practice decocking every time I holster even if I didn't fire. Even with thousands of reps, there's no guarantee.

To me, that would be a greater safety concern than the possibility of the hammer getting kicked or what have you and causing a discharge on a gun with a firing pin safety, grip safety, and thumb safety. I've seen one banged against a door frame so hard it bent the hammer, but it didn't discharge.

If you really want a holster that has a strap under the hammer, buy one that's designed that way.

Top Bottom