Cost effectiveness of reloading vs bulk ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've gotten to the point where I am considering starting to reload. My reasoning is that I may be able to save money vs purchasing ammunition. I am thinking of reloading:

• .223/5.56
    • .40S&W
    • .380ACP
    I buy the 223 in bulk quantities and usually only shoot the cheap russian stuff as it cycles dependably and gives me the accuracy I want for plinking. This usually costs me on average <$5/20.

Can reloading save me money vs. the cost I am currently buying ammo at?

I am not sure I would save money in the long run.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You may have a hard time justifying loading .223 when you're paying $0.25 per round, but with the .40 S&W and especially .380, you're going to be saving quite a bit of money in the long run.

For example, White box .40 = $15/50, or $280/1k
    Powerbond bullets, 180gn FP = $92/1k, primers = $28/1k, and powder (Titegroup) = $10/1k. Total for 1k rounds (with your own once fired brass) = $130.

That's savings right there. And .380 is going to be as cost effective to.

The real question is, how much is your time worth? The initial investment is pretty substantial - anywhere from $350 to $750 for a normal setup. But you'll never run out of ammo, and your ammo will be significantly more accurate than cheap surplus stuff.

Big +1 for reloading, if you're responsible enough to do it RIGHT.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Great question and I have been thinking the same thing especially given the initial cost in reloading equipment. I would probably reload 5.56, .45, .40 and maybe .357 and 9 mm.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    IMO it all depends on what you're doing with the ammo. If you're looking for tight groups from your .223, you'd be better off reloading than buying match grade ammo. If you're just plinking, keep with your Tula or other cheap ammo.

As for pistol, idk, I know pistol brass lasts practically forever when you're reloading, so all you buy is powder, bullets, and primer, but you also have to figure in the cost of your press, dies, scale, etc.

A buddy of mine reloads .40 S&W for $8 a box (100 rounds), but he gets brass for free. He also doesn't buy the cheapest powder and bullets since he shoots in competitions. I'm sure someone else can elaborate more on the pistol for you.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Come by the Swap Meet next weekend. There's bound to be a bunch of people trading and selling reloading equipment. Not only will you get some good deals, but you'll get the expertise of some veteran reloaders too.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    If you get into casting your own bullets, the price drops to around $100/1000 for 40 S&W

If you befriend a tire shop that has non zinc wheel weights, your price drops below $90/1000

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm currently only reloading 9mm. I have not bought 9mm for a while now as I have a stash. Someone told me that the Federal Champion is up to over $11 a box now. So, by the time you add sales tax, almost $13 a box. I'm reloading 9mm for just over $6 a box. Of course I do not have to worry about brass as it's plentyful at the range. A LB. of powder, 1,000 primers, and 1,000 bullets for $150. Most bulk I have found online is around $250 per 1,000. Everything besides components cost me $289. If you shoot a lot you will definitely save money.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    In all reality I've found reloading doesn't save you any money. Most people have a budget for ammo. When they start reloading they still spend the same amount of cash generally. They just shoot more. Way more. That's a good thing. :rockwoot: It does take a certain amount of concentration and attention to detail. Most people don't mind it. There are a few who don't care for the process or see it only as a necessary evil. Having someone who can help you to learn the process is a huge help. A simple Lee turret press can do well to get you into reloading. I've had one for years and it does most of my work. When it's time to do huge numbers of 9mm for the smg I prefer my buddy's Dillon 650.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    In all reality I've found reloading doesn't save you any money. Most people have a budget for ammo. When they start reloading they still spend the same amount of cash generally. They just shoot more. Way more. That's a good thing. :rockwoot: It does take a certain amount of concentration and attention to detail. Most people don't mind it. There are a few who don't care for the process or see it only as a necessary evil. Having someone who can help you to learn the process is a huge help. A simple Lee turret press can do well to get you into reloading. I've had one for years and it does most of my work. When it's time to do huge numbers of 9mm for the smg I prefer my buddy's Dillon 650.

This is very, very true. I've shot a lot more since I started reloading. As a generic rule of thumb, I'm reloading at about 60% of the cost of new ammo for .223, 9mm, and .45 ACP.

But I'm shooting way more than double what I used to. So, I have probably spent more overal, but literally am getting more bang for the buck.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You may have a hard time justifying loading .223 when you're paying $0.25 per round, but with the .40 S&W and especially .380, you're going to be saving quite a bit of money in the long run.

I am able to load .223 for .17 a round using pulled 62 gr. surplus bullets. With everything I load I figured it would take 5-6K reloads to break even on cost. Short term it probably doesn't make sense if you only look at cost.
    If you look at a lifetime of enjoyment and not worrying about Wally World being out when you want to shoot the benefits add up.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Alot of good advice and comments, I can only add that reloading allows me to get a better and more accurate round for my 5.56 & 7.62x51 rifles.

I have a single stage so most of my reloading is done indoors during the football season.... and it allows me and my kids to interact and I use the cheap child labor too !!!

Sat. before Labor Day, my daughter seated bullets for 300 rounds of .223 as I was dropping the powder. The cases were already prepped and primered from last winter.

This was a couple of years ago in a summer garage session: here she is depriming .223.

reloading002.jpg

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    Alot of good advice and comments, I can only add that reloading allows me to get a better and more accurate round for my 5.56 & 7.62x51 rifles.

I have a single stage so most of my reloading is done indoors during the football season.... and it allows me and my kids to interact and I use the cheap child labor too !!!

Sat. before Labor Day, my daughter seated bullets for 300 rounds of .223 as I was dropping the powder. The cases were already prepped and primered from last winter.

This was a couple of years ago in a summer garage session: here she is depriming .223.

reloading002.jpg

Man, that's a great shot, forget the cost, that's worth it right there!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy

reloading002.jpg
    Great way to spend time with the kids and saving some money on ammo. Child slave labor? Sometimes I think its OK.

BTW, what are those red cylindrical things that say "Folgers"? Is that an old metal can? I haven't seen anything but plastic in a long while. I use plastic ones:D

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Great way to spend time with the kids and saving some money on ammo. Child slave labor? Sometimes I think its OK.

BTW, what are those red cylindrical things that say "Folgers"? Is that an old metal can? I haven't seen anything but plastic in a long while. I use plastic ones:D

Yeah, I dont even drink coffee !!! I had to tell my family and friends to save them for me, I have about 10 of the metal cans and some plastic too.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Indoors I use a workmate portable bench, I have the press mounted on a 2x6 so it can be c-clamped anywhere.

And my daughter did go to the range on Labor Day so she didnt work for nothing. She shot a Ruger 10/22 and a MKIII Hunter pistol thats her favorite now.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    One other thing about reloading for me is the pride I take in my work. I load 357mag, 40 S&W, 44 mag, 45acp, 300 wsm and will soon add 243. The 44 mag is what I use for deer. When I recover the bullet for a deer I have taken, I get some additional pride in that it was with ammo I put together. At the range, when I get a tight group, I feel better than if I get a good group with factory stuff. I've not just shot well, but I loaded well too.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As others have said, reloading gives you a sense of pride. I know when I'm putting every round center mass that I put my time into those rounds.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    When I recover the bullet for a deer I have taken, I get some additional pride in that it was with ammo I put together. At the range, when I get a tight group, I feel better than if I get a good group with factory stuff.

This comment right here is why people reload. Thanks, Shooter1054. Testimonials like this will get more people into the hobby of reloading. Repped.

Personal pride has no price.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I would say my ammo use is probably on the low side, whenever I run the numbers they always come out in favor of buying vs. reloading. Plus the time it's time i could spend with my wife/ other hobbies.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Its kind of rewarding when you shoot a nice neat little group at the range and someone asks what ammo your shooting... and you answer it was your reloads. Factory ammo is good... but your reloads can be much better. When you find the right load your gun likes, it gets boring putting the bullet right where you want it to go round after round. :D

Top Bottom