Cost effectiveness of reloading vs bulk ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swede229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    Wish I had the area in my house for a reloading set up.. Guess i need to move there alot of things I cant do here blah

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I used to reload, but can't justify it anymore. Spending 3-4 hours at the bench for what I will burn up in a weekend, easily. I am smart when I buy ammo and usually keep some cash around just in case that deals comes along. I guess my time is better utilized doing other things than reloading.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I have talked to people who are interested in reloading. I figured you will need to reload at least 3000 minimum to just break even. After that figure you are saving money. If you won't shoot that much in a period of time, you are best buying the ammo. You could also look for a gunshop like the Sandburr gunshop in Rochester that sells reloads. They are cheaper than factory but cost a little more than if you do it yourself.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Reloading is a hobby in itself. If you don't enjoy it, then it's probably not worth the savings.

It's something I enjoy. In a few years, I may find I feel differently about it, but I certainly am happy right now.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I have only been reloading since late last winter and I enjoy it so far. I only reload 45 for now but we shoot alot of them and it won't take too long with this caliber to recover my investment. We slowed down quite a bit in shooting this summer but we have shot more than 2000 rounds so far.
    If we (my wife and I both shoot 1911's) had to buy the ammo at store prices I am sure there would be times someone would be watching the other shoot.
    Good luck with your decision.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I just started reloading earlier this year. So far, I think I've loaded over 5,000 rounds on a single stage RCBS press. I've loaded 380, 40 SW, 45 ACP, 38 SPL, 357 Mag, and 9mm.

I started calculating my savings but I don't do that anymore. The early calculations showed that I was saving a ton on 45 ACP, a lot on 40, and a little on 9mm. I never did the calculations yet for 380, 38, or 357. It's been worthwhile just for the education and the overall hobby and satisfaction.

I could see myself getting a progressive press in the future, but I'm in no hurry. My company closed our Indy offices and those of us fortunate enough to still be employed now work out of our homes. I am frequently on long conference calls that don't really require a lot of participation on my part. I use those times for depriming cases, sizing, etc (everything but throwing powder). So I don't calculate my time investment the same way I would if it was 100% leisure time.

If you do it and then decide that it's just not for you (and some people just don't like it or aren't comfortable doing it), you can always resell the equipment pretty easily.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't reload (yet) so take this with a grain of salt. Financially, the way I see it, part of the startup cost is equity. The press, dies, and some of the other components really don't wear out or go away like brass and projectiles. If you decide to quit before "recouping your investment" you have the hardware to sell off thereby reducing the risk of this financial venture.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I've been reloading for 40 years... where'd the time go???? Anyway, a majority of the equipment I'm using is that old too. I've upgraded in some places, not in others but I can't imagine the amount of money I've saved and the fun that I have had. I cast my own pistol bullets and all in all can shoot my centerfire handguns for almost rimfire costs. Developing a precision rifle load can truly be a rewarding challange, and all of that I think helps me be a better shooter.

I would have to say that there is no way I could shoot as much or as often as I do without reloading, no way I could afford to buy 500-1000 round of centerfire pistol a week, heck a month!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Loading 9mm, I save about $130/1k rounds.

Loading 357 Sig, its about $170/1k saving over Georgia arms bulk (best priced I've found)

It takes me maybe 5 hours or so to crank out 1000, though I'll break it up into an 1-2hour sessions here and there. I'm planning on getting a casefeeder to bring that down a bit, but I enjoy reloading. Even if I was filthy freakin' rich and the cost aspect were a non-issue, I'd still reload. I find it a relaxing way to spend an evening, much more enjoyable than staring at the idiot box. Once cold weather rolls in, I'll be spending even more time at the reloading bench.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I set down last year and figured up what I load 40 s&w for and it turned out to be $5.50 per 100. that is with me casting my own bullets picking up brass at matches and getting good deals on wheel weights. you also need to get in with a group of buddies and do some bulk buys on powder and primers its not much of a savings but at this point every little bit helps.

When your going though over 20,000 a year its a HUGE savings!!!

$.009 for powder
    $.03 for primer
    $.006 for bullet
    $.001 for electric
    $.00 for brass
    Priceless-- time doing something I love

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Not only does it save a little money, but it's nice to know that your rounds are going to shoot the same every time. You won't have that inconsistent factory load. Tighter groups and the pleasure of making your own ammo is what it's really about.

I find it relaxing even though I don't save much money. I love when someone who shoots my .308 asks what ammo I'm using and I get to say, "my own reloads". I can buy plinking ammo much cheaper than I reload, but being able to have 3 shot groups with each hole touching at 100 yards out of a cheap Savage Edge with a horrible trigger pull and knowing it's because I did it right is the best feeling I can get.

Top Bottom