• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I can only imagine what legalized pot is doing to those who think watching 50 Shades of Gray will cause you to kill your wife.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Decrying the fraud and misrepresentation which is standard operating procedure for Libertarians.

Nope, yet another misrepresentation, big surprise. I just grow sick of Libertarian lies.

So which is it - Are Libertarians so insignificant that it's a wasted vote to support any of their candidates or are they so powerful that they can lie about projected tax revenue from pot and get it legalized? Are they so insignificant that only 3 elected officials in Colorado (all at the city or town level) fly the Libertarian banner or is it some crazy conspiracy and 53% of Colorado voters are secretly Libertarian.

But they have another way....a better way....a theoretical way.

Apparently not just theoretical any more. Libertarians can take credit for the legalization of pot which did yield more overall tax revenue for the State. More tax revenue for the .gov is great for increasing the size of government, something Republicans and Democrats can get behind. At this point in time, there hasn't been any real down side to the expanded freedoms for the morons who want to get high. Oh and now it looks like all the tax payers will get $8 back, how much more will the people of Colorado love that pot now that it's giving their tax dollars back? At this rate, Colorado will probably be won by the Libertarian Presidential Candidate.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are Libertarians really the only ones in favor of legalizing marijuana? It seems like the expanded social freedom would be in line with the Democrat's platform.

In case you are reading this on a tablet or phone, I'll give you a chance to sit down. Go ahead, I don't want you to hurt yourself.

With a few exceptions, everyone who works in my office identifies as Republican or primarily conservative. Many of them, even crusty old white guy Republicans, believe that the "legalize and tax" approach to marijuana is the right way to go. These are cops, all with at least a decade of law enforcement experience, who believe the harm of marijuana isn't worth the efforts and cash we put in to combating it and that attempts to enforce it has done little to stem its use. These are certainly not Libertarian or libertarian in many other social issues.

Maybe, just maybe, this issue has broader political support than some folks want to give it credit for. Perhaps its just not a hot button issue for the majority, so its not discussed or pushed as much.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Are Libertarians really the only ones in favor of legalizing marijuana?

Part of the sales package that they pushed was the enhanced revenue which would benefit the productive class.

Now they are running away from it. Just like all politicians it seems, no different.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If it chafes you that the government stops imprisoning people for possession of plant material... you might be a statist.

If you judge increases in freedom by the amount of revenue the state can confiscate... you might be a statist.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    With a few exceptions, everyone who works in my office identifies as Republican or primarily conservative. Many of them, even crusty old white guy Republicans, believe that the "legalize and tax" approach to marijuana is the right way to go. These are cops, all with at least a decade of law enforcement experience, who believe the harm of marijuana isn't worth the efforts and cash we put in to combating it and that attempts to enforce it has done little to stem its use.
    I hear this a lot from the officers I know. My question is: What do you think those making money from the illegal trade will do if/when the pot revenue stream dries? Will they throw there hands up and quit? Maybe get a job? Push something harder? I agree that pot is harmless, but I don't think those in the trade are.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Sure there's gonna be extra tax money flowing in from the pot sales. But it's a cash business, and how many people selling pot are gonna report every penny they take in form their sales. It's all about making money, and not giving the government anymore than you have to, that's why the tax projections aren't met.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Part of the sales package that they pushed was the enhanced revenue which would benefit the productive class.

Now they are running away from it. Just like all politicians it seems, no different.

Again, which is it? Libertarians wear wookie suits and are totally irrelevant which is why no one should vote for them or do they wield so much power that the voters in Colorado only voted for marijuana legalization because of the promise of additional tax revenue for the state government sold to them by Libertarians?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I hear this a lot from the officers I know. My question is: What do you think those making money from the illegal trade will do if/when the pot revenue stream dries? Will they throw there hands up and quit? Maybe get a job? Push something harder? I agree that pot is harmless, but I don't think those in the trade are.

So criminals will turn to other crimes so we must keep this thing a crime?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Again, which is it? Libertarians wear wookie suits and are totally irrelevant which is why no one should vote for them or do they wield so much power that the voters in Colorado only voted for marijuana legalization because of the promise of additional tax revenue for the state government sold to them by Libertarians?

It is neither.

Just pointing out the hucksterism of the method by which pot legalization was sold.

I agree, it's just politics as normal, the whole fake bill of goods gambit. Just pointing it out.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Do you have an example of a libertarian who participated in or condones any dishonesty in getting that bill passed?

Not just one who supported the bill, but one who was aware of any dishonesty and still supported it or participated in it?

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    So, in one year the state saw $44 million in tax revenue from non-medical pot. Adding in the medical pot, that number rises to $73 million. I can't think of many things that a state does that sees that much tax revenue in one year.

Does that mean they lied? Or does it mean they were just wrong in their initial projections? Who knows. But slamming Libertarians (something that is quite beloved by some on this site) is hardly the way to argue one's point. But then again, when one has no real argument to make, I suppose name calling and vitriol fill the void well.

Love and kisses,
    The absent one

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Do you have an example of a libertarian who participated in or condones any dishonesty in getting that bill passed?

Not just one who supported the bill, but one who was aware of any dishonesty and still supported it or participated in it?

Kirk? Anything? Got some examples to back your assertions?

Top Bottom