• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just throwing out that a coworker of mine got a letter from the place he does dialysis saying he could travel during a shut down. They told him within the month things will be shuttered once more. Take it for what it’s worth.

I'm going to wait and see as one thing we all know is that the future is not certain...

...but one thing I know for sure- at this time, nothing about a future lockdown has gone out to healthcare providers or facilities in Indiana from any official source.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, it's taken much longer than I expected, but I now can say that I actually know someone with the 'Rona.

She's a good friend and has been our family's vet for years. Unfortunately, she has some health issues that have the potential to make this very serious for her.

Because of her issues and her medical training, she had taken every precaution to avoid this, short of locking herself in the basement.

To me, that's something very unusual about this contagion. People are "getting it" while taking all of (or at least most of) the precautions. Yet, other people, in contexts with no precautions (like sharing a household) do not get it when there is an exposure.

Yes, anecdotal reports, but it still makes me wonder.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    https://www.freseniuskidneycare.com...m_medium=&utm_source=YextGMB&utm_content=6422

his letter came from this place. Don’t know anything about them.

That is a nationwide chain. It may be responding to developments elsewhere...or just being careful on its own...or responding to patient concerns that have no basis in reality. Indiana has not indicated plans for a shutdown, even privately, to healthcare providers. Even when we were in the midst of the "lockdown", there was never a requirement to carry a paper or letter of any type to travel.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To me, that's something very unusual about this contagion. People are "getting it" while taking all of (or at least most of) the precautions. Yet, other people, in contexts with no precautions (like sharing a household) do not get it when there is an exposure.

Yes, anecdotal reports, but it still makes me wonder.

I chalk that up to a few factors- including, but not limited to:

- "taking all the precautions"... yet still spending prolonged times in indoor public places like stores, restaurants, churches, etc.
    - Other people not taking many precautions, but who also live in rural or more remote places and do not spend much time indoors around other people.
    - Over-reporting how consistent they are with "all the precautions".
    - people who don't take many precautions being asymptomatic or having a good, innate immune system
    - people "taking all the precautions" living with people who are not

...and many, many other factors...and combinations of any of those above and others.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I need to find me a new doctor just in case I get this china flu again. He is hard headed and will not prescribe HCQ. His reply seemingly was right out of the liberal playbook.

I personally feel it has a strong resemblance to the regular flu, in regards to spreading it or getting it. Symptoms may be a bit rougher, but other than that, I see no difference.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    papersplease.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ci...kdowns-checkpoints-power-shutoffs-steep-fines

And the last shreds of the tattered Constitution are now being burned.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Yesterday, Ohio’s governor tests positive ahead of trump visit. Today, he tests negative. So was it a false positive, false negative or what? Also how are we supposed to take numbers seriously if people only get a single test and go with results.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Hopefully the tide is turning.

I feel like we should pretend that Trump never said anything about any treatment and the treatments should be evaluated on their own merits (they are neither good, nor bad because Trump praised them)...but that's crazy talk these days.

As far as I can tell, there is a single study that showed the HCQ was not helpful and may have been harmful to patients who were extremely sick when the medication was started.

Meanwhile, there is mounting evidence (with studies which have been or are being peer reviewed) that when given with Zinc, HCQ can improve outcomes in those who have been exposed or whose COVID-19 has not yet become severe (an prophylactic antibiotic may be helpful in cases where a pneumonia is developing to keep lung fluid from becoming a breeding ground for bacteria, complicating the disease, but does not directly work "with" the HCQ).

As with all medical treatments, it will work in some situations better than others and may even harm in some...but that's why we do multiple studies under different conditions with different kinds of patients and different doses.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yesterday, Ohio’s governor tests positive ahead of trump visit. Today, he tests negative. So was it a false positive, false negative or what? Also how are we supposed to take numbers seriously if people only get a single test and go with results.

Best 3 out of 5.

...but the answer may lie in the specific type of test used, not testing in general.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have posted that same article elsewhere. We shall see if you have sufficient status on INGO that you won't be treated like you believe in Tinker Bell or suffer from debilitating levels of confirmation bias :)

The main takeaway from the article is that most people don't understand what they're reading when they see these kinds of studies, and that lack of understanding is being manipulated (intentionally and unintentionally) for political purposes.

I'll stand on what I've asserted since the beginning, though: HCQ is a safe and effective treatment for COVID-19, when administered at the appropriate stage of infection - and primarily speaking, the people who claim that it is unsafe and/or ineffective simply don't know what they're talking about (or they do know, and are maliciously putting people's lives at risk because Orange Man Bad).

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Talked to my neighbor last night. 42yr old with no other health problems. She had a mild to moderate case of covid-19 in March, meaning she never had to be hospitalized but rested at home.

She was considered sick for 2 weeks. But she still is fatigued to this day, including often sleeping 12 hours per day. Sometimes when she gets up in the morning her muscles ache so much it hurts to turn a doorknob. She's had other evaluations and blood work done to see if there is any contributor besides Covid and nothing was found except mild iron deficiency.

The docs think she will slowly recover.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yeah, the various data sources like to throw around "recovered" numbers while for some people it is more like "survived".

Minnesota uses "no longer need to be isolated" instead of recovered. This implies immunity so hopefully they are correct, at least for a significant duration.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A facebook friend of mine (and someone I encounter weekly in real life) posted a link to an alarmist article about people being jailed for not taking the vaccine. I say "alarmist" because that was the nature of the article...and there currently is no vaccine. I understand that there are varying opinions about a possible vaccine. No problem. The article was talking about people being jailed and saying (or implying) that the authority to make a vaccine mandatory to a recent thing to further this Bill Gates, mark of the beast thing. All of the comments (many by other of my friends) were laced with conspiracy theory.

All I said in a comment was this:

"The Supreme Court found that states could make vaccines mandatory in 1905. This is not a recent thing based upon COVID-19. Hopefully it will not be made mandatory and if 65+% of the people get the vaccine, there will be no need to. I plan on getting it when and if it is available."

Like I said, I know there are plenty of opinions on the theoretical vaccine, and I expect that.

I found out why, though, ALL of the comments followed the same line of thought. 2 minutes after I posted, my comment was deleted...by my friend.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A lot of the concerns about vaccines came from a junk science article supposedly linking vaccines to autism. The research was funded by a law firm in England who wanted to sue vaccine providers on behalf of parents of autistic children.

But...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I found out why, though, ALL of the comments followed the same line of thought. 2 minutes after I posted, my comment was deleted...by my "friend".

FIFY.

Vaccines cause autism... Some people need a reason for why bad things happen to good people, and they need a bogeyman to point fingers at.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom