Not open for further replies.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Current police road blocks.

lors-d-un-controle-de-gendarmerie-a-domene-ce-mardi-en-milieu-de-journee-photo-le-dl-denis-masliah-1584462044.jpg

I haven't seen long guns deployed yet but I'm sure it will get to that in the next few days ...

NCEYNCQFJGL5T4HUUV2YLFDMWQ.jpg

Why would you expect an escalation to long guns, it's a public health issue, not terrorists!

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Fox briefly reported Type A blood seems to be more susceptible to this compared to Type O over at the epicenter in China. Guess I'll update my will now.

I saw the write-up on the non-reviewed Chinese report... don't have the link handy, but looked like it might be (just barely?) statistically significant... like 34% Type A in general population versus 42% in severe symptom cases, IIRC. Could also be Type A is more predominate in the most seriously impacted region than countrywide.

And this... docs (IANAD) advise against using acetominiphine/ibuprophen for fever relief unless the fever is severe... according to this French health advisory, if the conditions call for it, use acetominphine, not ibuprophen, as there are early indications that NSAIDs could worsen virus symptoms. (in French but if you've got a decent browser, should offer to translate to English if you're not a francophone)

https://dgs-urgent.sante.gouv.fr/dg...sageBuilder.do?id=30500&cmd=visualiserMessage

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Another email from DNR on the shooting ranges.

We just got word that all DNR state shooting ranges except for Tri-County FWA will re-open tomorrow and resume normal hours of operation. We may be using some sort of one-use material for the benches that can be removed and replenished between shooters to increase sanitary measures. Not sure yet what that will be but probably some sort of plastic shrink wrap or wax paper. Just a heads up and update. I will keep you updated with any new information as I receive it.

Thanks, stay healthy, and have a good day,

(This came from DNR WINAMAC where NWI INGO has its yearly youth event.)

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Is anyone self-quarantined or working for home due to the virus outbreak?

Mrs. MarkC and I are both Indiana state government employees; we are both working from home. My bosses were pretty insistent that we NOT come in, unless necessary.

ETA: Most of what I do can be done remotely, so long as I have access to my case files. So far, so good with the VPN and our last-century case management system (fingers crossed).

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Updated the spreadsheet and added a timeline comparing US/Italy so you can view the stats on a specific day comparing each country: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...F2nSBMG8kMCK6dQZXk8zxhBvXgyDgjgXJc_K7/pubhtml

Thank you for the data... too soon to be certain, but it appears that Italian new cases and deaths have plateau'ed approximately 1 week after nationwide lock down. Hopefully, over the next week or so, both will start trending down...

One thing to keep in mind for US folks looking at Italy... multi-generational households are somewhat more prevalent there, so if anyone in the household gets the virus, it presents a dire situation for the grandparents in the house.

Prayers for anyone with friends/family in Italy.

ETA: qwerty, kudos for tracking and posting the data... You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to qwerty again.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "
    Italy has a much higher median age than the US (47.3 vs 38.4), so using deaths as a proxy for "total" infections should not be based upon Italy's statistics.

Yeah, that's why I expressed it as a range. US and France (I think) are running about 2% mortality (with the assumption that the under-reporting of deaths is about the same ratio as the under-reporting of actual cases). Italy is on the high end at 7%.

So, in nine months we'll have corona babies?

And a bunch of newly-divorced parents.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How big a world wide scam might it be?
    [video=youtube;z5CZ7SS06es]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=245&v=z5CZ7SS06es&feature=emb_ logo[/video]

Yes last night I was talking to a friend about this.
    That in the back of my mind something felt odd about this.
    I was thinking more of a global money reset thing.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Another email from DNR on the shooting ranges.

We just got word that all DNR state shooting ranges except for Tri-County FWA will re-open tomorrow and resume normal hours of operation. We may be using some sort of one-use material for the benches that can be removed and replenished between shooters to increase sanitary measures. Not sure yet what that will be but probably some sort of plastic shrink wrap or wax paper. Just a heads up and update. I will keep you updated with any new information as I receive it.

Thanks, stay healthy, and have a good day,

(This came from DNR WINAMAC where NWI INGO has its yearly youth event.)

:yesway: My sanity thanks you.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thank you for the data... too soon to be certain, but it appears that Italian new cases and deaths have plateau'ed approximately 1 week after nationwide lock down. Hopefully, over the next week or so, both will start trending down...

One thing to keep in mind for US folks looking at Italy... multi-generational households are somewhat more prevalent there, so if anyone in the household gets the virus, it presents a dire situation for the grandparents in the house.

Prayers for anyone with friends/family in Italy.

ETA: qwerty, kudos for tracking and posting the data... You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to qwerty again.

^^^ +100.

ETA:
    For as helpful as that spreadsheet is, I can't help but think that qwerty shouldn't be the one compiling it. Nothing personal, but I'm getting more frustrated that the US .gov doesn't have a better current tracking page, at least updated hourly. The Johns Hopkins thing isn't bad for visualizing and general data, but it also isn't great for gleaning the data sets and then playing with them.

So, great job doing someone else's job, qwerty. :) (Unless you happen to be some sort of statistician with the CDC or WHO. Then it is your job.) ;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why would you expect an escalation to long guns, it's a public health issue, not terrorists!

Some people will only take travel bans seriously if they see some firepower at checkpoints.

It's already common at DUI stops.

The terrorist threat is still there too so most patrols include long gun now.

1300438-prodlibe-2020-0404.jpg

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Some people will only take travel bans seriously if they see some firepower at checkpoints.

It's already common at DUI stops.

The terrorist threat is still there too so most patrols include long gun now.

1300438-prodlibe-2020-0404.jpg

My experience is dated, but as a kid in Germany in the early 1970's it was not unusual to see the Polizei with submachine guns. Terrorism was a problem then, too, but it was the Red Brigades/Bader Meinhoff Gang-type groups. I think Europeans are much more used to seeing heavily armed police on a more regular basis; but, again, my experience is dated.

ETA: Thank you Sylvain for sharing your experience and insights!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just got three (3) hours of work today.

Most of our clients simply aren't going, whether they want to or not. I drive people who are elderly and/or disabled to and from medical appointments. Many medical offices and adult day care have shut down.

I had three (3) clients and two (2) cancelled.

FWIW I stopped at Fresh Thyme on the way home and it seems their clientele are less susceptible to panic. Most shelves were full, but there was an absence of paper products, although rolls of paper towels were still available.

We are silly.

Regards,

Doug

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, while I tend to be conservative about evaluating things, here's the disturbing part of the trend that has developed, as I see it.

"Exponential growth" is basically any time you can see "doubling" of numbers in a certain span of time. It doesn't have to be daily or whatever.

In the early stages of any cycle, it is hard to pin down any trend. The data has to develop. Based on the currently available numbers, since Mar 1, there's been a doubling of deaths every 3-4 days. And, actually, that period might be decreasing. That is, the doubling might be speeding up.

There is data "breakage" (my term) here. As tests have become available, we are able to determine whether COVID-19 contributed to/caused the death. We didn't necessarily have that in the early stage. (Relative: we're still in the early stage.) But, just going on the numbers we have, this really could get worse.

By my count, we are about a week in to the dramatic precautions. If they've been effective, it should start showing up soon in the numbers.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My experience is dated, but as a kid in Germany in the early 1970's it was not unusual to see the Polizei with submachine guns. Terrorism was a problem then, too, but it was the Red Brigades/Bader Meinhoff Gang-type groups. I think Europeans are much more used to seeing heavily armed police on a more regular basis; but, again, my experience is dated.

ETA: Thank you Sylvain for sharing your experience and insights!

It's pretty common to see long guns here.
    Especially where I am, in a rural area, our local law enforcement agency is part of the military.
    So they have long guns, automatic weapons, submachine guns and whatnot.

In larger cities we have military patrols too.

They usually patrol the streets by group of 6 to 8 soldiers.Sometimes with a couple of police officers as well.

2018_TLYN_115_A_003_012.jpg

Same with police patrols, usually groups of 5 or 6 with a few long guns.Even at the marina where terrorist threats are pretty low ...

DlSrxriXsAAF2c5.jpg

It's better for them to take their long guns with them all the time instead of living them unprotected in their car while they patrol on foot.

A few G36s have been stolen recently in Paris from a police van.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom