• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    We did some sweet talking to the nurse at the pediatrician's office and they agreed to let me bring my daughter in this afternoon. She has no symptoms of COVID-19 other than a low fever and sore throat. No aches, no shortness of breath or lethargy. No deep coughing.

I'll post an update once we get back.

I Also want to thank everyone who reached out via PM and text. It's amazing to see how many people genuinely care. That's why I love :ingo:

We just got back from the doctor. They confirmed that my kid has strep. No need to go into complete two week isolation yet. A little amoxicillin and she should be symptom free in a few days.

Grabbed a few more OTC medications while we were picking up her prescription at CVS just to top off the medicine cabinet since we were out. Plenty of ibuprofen, cough and cold medicines on the shelves. No hand sanitizer of course.

I also grabbed a handle of bourbon. I mean, since we were already out and about. If this lock down gets worse then I need some booze in the house. :alcoholic:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Awesome. I mean, your spreadsheet. Not the virus.

But, I do think our curve will be flatter that Italy's. (*****Stuff that sounds like a Sofia Loren reference, but isn't.)

ETA:
    When Italy had an equivalent number of confirmed cases, they had ~3x (maybe more like 2.5x) more total deaths, and were having ~2x more deaths per day.

Now, I'm still not convinced we have a handle on how many deaths to attribute to this. We could very well be under-reporting that, too. Hard to quantify that, though.
    "
    Italy has a much higher median age than the US (47.3 vs 38.4), so using deaths as a proxy for "total" infections should not be based upon Italy's statistics.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-deaths-from-coronavirus-are-so-high-in-italy/

One factor affecting the country’s death rate may be the age of its population—Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older, according to The New York Times. The median age in the country is 47.3, compared with 38.3 in the United States, the Times reported. Many of Italy’s deaths have been among people in their 80s, and 90s, a population known to be more susceptible to severe complications from COVID-19, according to The Local.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and if you have a fever, COVID 19 or otherwise, unless it's serious enough to go to the hospital (or there's a tendency for seizures), lay off the fever reducer.

Fevers are there for a reason.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Dr. Ignace Demeyer, who works at a hospital in Aalst, said an increasing number of people between the ages of 30 and 50 have presented with severe symptoms, despite having “blank medical records” that show no underlying conditions that would make them high-risk, the Brussels Times reported.

“They just walk in, but they are terribly affected by the virus,” Demeyer told the Belgian broadcaster VRT.

He said CT scans indicated they were suffering from severe lung damage.

The images we took yesterday are nothing short of terrifying,” the doctor told the station.

They are people who do not smoke, who have no other conditions such as diabetes or heart failure,” Demeyer added.
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/coron...ng-patients-were-nothing-short-of-terrifying/

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Indiana National guard has been activated. Tic toc

Can you tell us more about this, or share a link. I mentioned it earlier that my UPS driver told us he knew someone ordered to report for duty. I questioned him further about it today, and he said two of his fellow drivers had been ordered to report for duty tomorrow, but he didn't know what unit they were with, or where they were reporting to.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So today I've had time to think about the whole "lock everything down". I understand it's to help slow down the spread but as you guys have been debating with that graph we are already behind with CONFIRMED cases vs all those who are sick but dont know it yet.

So what is a 2 week school closing really going to do? Does the .gov think that in 2 weeks the C-virus is magically just going to go away? Wont we still be slammed in 2 weeks with more cases and more deaths then what we have now?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So today I've had time to think about the whole "lock everything down". I understand it's to help slow down the spread but as you guys have been debating with that graph we are already behind with CONFIRMED cases vs all those who are sick but dont know it yet.

So what is a 2 week school closing really going to do? Does the .gov think that in 2 weeks the C-virus is magically just going to go away? Wont we still be slammed in 2 weeks with more cases and more deaths then what we have now?

Yeah. But after that it slows down because you slowed it down.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Two weeks is a feeler. It will be extended if cases climb.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

The hope is that we will have less cases than if we went about business as usual. Lowering the risk of spreading this is what they keep alluding to "flattening the curve."

In 2 weeks the healthcare system should be better prepared for handling more infections.

Also remember, 80% of people with this virus have mild symptoms, but, they could pass it to someone more at risk for complications (like me with diabetes...)

If everyone self-isolates now, the risk of those who already have it infecting others lowers. The risk of someone who has it and doesn't know infecting someone else lowers.

That's what it's all about right now, lowering the risk of infection and not getting to a tipping point of to many serious cases/not enough resources to care for them.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Seems to me we are waiting on a vaccine. Schools could be out for the remainder of the school year. We just don't know yet.

With the testing and approval process, don't expect one closer than 6-12 months from now. Even if they cut all red-tape, they still have to do sufficient human trials to know the effects of the vaccine.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Its actually 4 weeks, at least In our area Jedi

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The hope is that we will have less cases than if we went about business as usual. Lowering the risk of spreading this is what they keep alluding to "flattening the curve."

In 2 weeks the healthcare system should be better prepared for handling more infections.

Also remember, 80% of people with this virus have mild symptoms, but, they could pass it to someone more at risk for complications (like me with diabetes...)

If everyone self-isolates now, the risk of those who already have it infecting others lowers. The risk of someone who has it and doesn't know infecting someone else lowers.

That's what it's all about right now, lowering the risk of infection and not getting to a tipping point of to many serious cases/not enough resources to care for them.

This.

It's much better to slow it down than to have to decide who gets ventilators.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom