Not open for further replies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I didn’t mind the info SM was posting, just annoyed at his seeming obsession with being right. Any positive news was immediately dismissed. The truth is, he doesn’t have any idea what the outcome of this is going to be. If anybody knew that, we would be ahead of it. My hope was only that information from credible sources could be posted without comment so people could form their own opinion instead of intentionally trying to steer this thread to doom and gloom. I stopped checking on this thread as frequently because the information really isn’t helpful when it gets down to it. Take precautions, help others, and hope for the best. Ultimately, this thread will go on, with or without him.
    Right.
    I mean jehovah's witnesses said the end of the world was going to be in 1914. They used the start of WWI as credibility to their claim.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
    If you get an email with the subject "knock knock" dont open it. Even the JW's are working from home.

I'm not saying smokingman was wrong. He was right that this was going to be big. He was quoting articles and others predictions very early on when China started going into lockdown.
    But damn, if I had a dollar for every time some alarmist said the sky was falling and nothing panned out then I'd be rich.
    I prepare for bad **** to happen. Its what I do. But i also live my life.
    I am planning on moving forward. I expect the economy to take off rapidly and for us to jumpstart our country soon.
    But I am also planning for a recession and possibly worse. It's what I do. And so should everyone else.
    Unless you have your **** together, now may not be the best time to go blow money on dumb ****, but was it really ever time if you didn't have your **** together? You either have the mindset and execute it in your living or you dont.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    If our officials here told everyone to wear masks, I'd wear one. If I had one. If it's anything like .22LR in 2013, I probably won't see an N95 mask on the shelves until 2022.

Japan and Singapore generally use basic medical or cloth masks and it is really helping. Japan has an older population like Italy, so that isn't even an excuse. My takeaway is that even a basic bandana over your mouth would have an appreciable effect on water droplets with virus coming in or out and having reduced spread. I definitely agree with smokingman saying that using masks can actually be detrimental if you don't know what you are doing makes my eyes roll fast enough to generate power. It takes 10 minutes watching YouTube to learn the medically approved way to do it or even removing it unsafely, but immediately washing your hands is likely just as safe.

I'm convinced that disinformation was shared was to stop buying and "hoarding" by the public. It would have been better and far more honest to say "we don't have enough and need it to go to front-line medical workers". Now, we just have additional confirmation that the authorities will lie to manipulate and control people rather than try to inform them and recruit the public for help in a more cooperative system. In the process, they caused too many to think that N95s are a magical answer. They are better than basic cloth masks, but you aren't helpless without them.

This. If everyone is wearing a mask without the cool flow valve it will help slow the spread immensely and it would be fairly safe to be in public and doing normal routines. It would definitely keep the hospitals under capacity.
    I'll agree with you on the cool flow valve. Those types of N95 masks are great for protecting against incoming particles, but are designed to allow easier exhalation and therefore won't stop you spreading the disease if you are asymptomatic.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I am not offended by anyone, I totally get the idea that individuals have different opinions, thoughts and decipher info. I get all that. It was his opinion that he knew more than the doctor based on nonstop gathering and his deciphering of information. His Mensa status allows him to see and understand much more than any one else in their chosen profession. I like Trump and get TONS of flack that is much more severe than what I posted; I am sure we all have.

One may even believe EQ is better than IQ? Regardless, I feel as a nation we are spinning. Fear, doubts, counter opinions and so on has created confusion and deceptive practices. I am not saying that was what was happening here, but I will say the doom and gloom adds to the fear. Maybe it was how it was said that concerned me. Information is valuable even when it is perceived differently. I think I'd rather see some one say they see the data differently than claiming the people we have on the virus team" are wrong and just playing politics. After all, it is a perceived opinion of data....right? When one claims they have the right answer and the other "expert" is wrong and they base it strictly on "their interpretation" and peddle it as fact; they essentially are placing themselves above the other (I'm right and they are wrong).

We all do it in some form or another. The only differnce here is I made a statement about it.
    I understand now that I used the wrong words, you were not offended and I stand corrected.
    I really can't argue with a lot of this, I will just say that when he said "its clear she does not understand how the model works" it was probably just his way of saying "they see it differently" as you said. Just more direct, more forceful, whatever. I don't see a huge difference, but I know that if it (being offensive to a Trump advisor) was something I actually cared about and held near and dear to me, I might see that difference. Same words, different take. In fact, I will admit, my bias is to be very suspect of anything that comes out of any politicians mouth, including our current leadership. They are doing just what they feel they have to to manage the herd. I have a suspicion that some people get very defensive when the current leadership is questioned, just for the sake of who it is. That is my bias right there, too overly sensitive to anyone defending current leadership just because. I'd probably do it no matter who it was BTW.

From your original question about the pedestal, you really didn't want him to list all the reasons he might be 'higher up' on the pedestal did you? I mean nobody really wants to hear someone toot their own horn. A lot of what he's said and quoted lately has been trying to take out the 'sides' part of the equation IMO.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Exhaust valves are fine..... IF you're not infected.
    My gas mask has an exhaust valve. Should I also put some kind of filter over it just to make others feel better?

My mask covers my eyes, nose and mouth. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Do I scare the sheeple? Damn straight. They should be scared, walking around without any protection, acting like it's just another day.
    Morons! Every one of them.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    My gas mask has an exhaust valve. Should I also put some kind of filter over it just to make others feel better?

My mask covers my eyes, nose and mouth. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Do I scare the sheeple? Damn straight. They should be scared, walking around without any protection, acting like it's just another day.

Yes! Because feelings!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    This. If everyone is wearing a mask without the cool flow valve it will help slow the spread immensely and it would be fairly safe to be in public and doing normal routines. It would definitely keep the hospitals under capacity.

I said before that the government should be using the postal service to send masks out to every household and make it mandatory to wear them in public. That would help curb the spread. Right now you have people still shopping because they have to eat. It's still being spread.
    This is the way.
    So many studies showing masks make a difference. It could save the economy to a large degree. And then only the hardcore deniers would be out with out masks and they could really prove they were right.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Yes, the only mask I own has the replaceable filters which I use N95 filters in it. It only covers nose and mouth but I use goggles with it. I have it for spraying some potent insecticides at my cabin and I have not worn it anywhere in public. If I had to go to a place with people I would seriously consider it but for now I have everything I need.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I didn’t mind the info SM was posting, just annoyed at his seeming obsession with being right. Any positive news was immediately dismissed. The truth is, he doesn’t have any idea what the outcome of this is going to be. If anybody knew that, we would be ahead of it. My hope was only that information from credible sources could be posted without comment so people could form their own opinion instead of intentionally trying to steer this thread to doom and gloom. I stopped checking on this thread as frequently because the information really isn’t helpful when it gets down to it. Take precautions, help others, and hope for the best. Ultimately, this thread will go on, with or without him.
    Honest questions here:
    How do we confirm and help others confirm "only info from credible sources" is posted, without comment? Do you really mean literally without comment? Read a newspaper or something. And just believe we are all reading it with you. I just don't see how it can work. I've tried to call out some of the more fantastical posts but most of them seem to get ignored anyway. Similarly the noise about the NG lockdown and being on house arrest luckily didn't gain much traction given a little time.
    This idea of "so people can form their own opinion" is not really viable. The idea of limiting posts to "no doom and gloom" is not realistic, if there is doom and gloom on the horizon. I don't believe we as individuals are as strong alone as we are together, but I believe we as Americans, rugged individualists but one in spirit will work together to beat this thing better than anyone else in the world.

ETA: You said "we would be ahead of it". Where would many of us be without all the dialog, but especially the "doom and gloom" posts that were presented in a very convincing way? I wouldn't be as prepared as I am that's for sure. This is a process that takes time to go through, rejection, panic, hopelessness, disbelief are all things that some have been through and there is a calm after that storm.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK folks. Break is over.

If we get edgy again I will close it. I have several threads that get close and I need a break as well. We are all in this together. So, lets take everything with a grain of salt and learn what we can.

And remember, none of us is 100% spot on right all of the time. None of us so get off the high horse and put your feet on the ground. This is all up for debate and discussion. Keep it civil. Keep it on point. If you do not agree with something state your case like a mature adult. If you can not take civil criticism and another point of view then step off.

No more warnings will be given. I want every active posting member in here to still be here tomorrow.
    Crazy times people. I have lost 1 friend to this. We have 2 more afflicted and other friends know many more that are sick as well. It is here. It is real.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    OK folks. Break is over.

If we get edgy again I will close it. I have several threads that get close and I need a break as well. We are all in this together. So, lets take everything with a grain of salt and learn what we can.

And remember, none of us is 100% spot on right all of the time. None of us so get off the high horse and put your feet on the ground. This is all up for debate and discussion. Keep it civil. Keep it on point. If you do not agree with something state your case like a mature adult. If you can not take civil criticism and another point of view then step off.

No more warnings will be given. I want every active posting member in here to still be here tomorrow.
    Crazy times people. I have lost 1 friend to this. We have 2 more afflicted and other friends know many more that are sick as well. It is here. It is real.

Obviously you don't know my "x". :(

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Obviously you don't know my "x". :(

yups!! Same here!

I call a vote of no confidence in CM for he has misspoken.
    Quick let's pack his bags and send him over to IL where he can smoke some of that good stuff and relax as we seem to be giving him a lot of stress!

And btw RI stopping NY drivers at the border to not let them into RI. Plus going door to door in coastal town looking for NY citizens.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/rhode-island-tracking-down-new-yorkers/index.html

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom