• Status
    Not open for further replies.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Well, please don't stop it forever - it's how I make a living. I am down 50% the last 30 days, I believe because many of my clients don't know what the hell to say in their mailings - too many unknowns to go forward.

(Side note:as an advertising medium, direct mail generally makes companies money. Yes, 97% goes in the trash, but who doesn't like pizza coupons?) :dunno:

So you're the guy breaking my snowthrower!!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BIG number is arbitrarily arbitrary. But "same number" isn't as much. If we end up with the same number of deaths either way, that means it didn't work. It means some assumption was false. So if the all the assumptions are true, that there is a number of infected people who would die without medical care, and peak use of healthcare exceeds bandwidth causing some of those people to be denied the healthcare they need to survive, and spreading the cases out such that the peak doesn't exceed the bandwidth, the number of deaths should be lower than without the curve flattening.
    Until we get access to the multiverse, we won't know the result of the path not taken. :)

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ever try glycerine? I put it in my hand sanitizer formula to keep people using it as it prevents the skin from drying out. Available at drug or confectionery supply stores.
    I have some. What do I put it in? I cannot tolerate sanitizer at all. (OK, I can, but soap and water works better for me and for the virus.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So wait ... You're saying we can trust China's data now? Not trying to be snarky - honest question.

I don't trust the raw numbers, one bit. But, I think for the purposes of this conversation the accuracy of specific numbers is unimportant. What's important is that it seems they have turned the corner on it. And they did temporarily, drastically, increase their heath care capacity, and then dismantled it after it was no longer needed.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Just put the glycerin directly on your hands and rub them together. it deep moisterizes.

Mix 1 part glycerin to 3 parts distilled water for your fog machine. Do not think comercial fog juice is only glycerin and water though. It may have propylene glycol, or triethylene glycol in it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Italy is getting hammered. They're over 10% mortalty (creeping towards 11%).

Elsewhere in Europe, Spain is at about 7.5%. France and UK are over 5%.

Our reported numbers are about 1.5%.

Make of that what you will.

ETA: Indiana is at ~2.5%.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Isn't that supposed to drop on Disney+ some Friday in the distant future?

Hopefully. :) We're keeping the subscription because of content that has yet to be delivered. (Burned through the Mandalorian each week.)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The sad part. We have less hospital beds and less ICU capacity per 1000 people than Italy at 3.4 per 1000.
    Comparing us to Germany it is much worse. They have 8.3 beds per 1000.
    USA has less than 2.9(2013,and we have actually lost beds since then).
    https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/sh.med.beds.zs?most_recent_value_desc=true

It may also explain how south Korea is doing so well with 13.2 per 1000.

Someone was talking about the other day. They cautioned that when reading these statistics to remember that in Europe, there are no surgery centers and clinics like we have here and those numbers of beds are not counted in the US number of "hospital beds". I can't vouch for that statement only report what I understood them to say.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is exactly why I've been going out of my way to get gas at a station that is off the beaten path instead of the truck stop that is smack dab in the middle of my regular drive.

This is a youtuber I often watch because he provides some useful tips on detailing cars. He recently added a covid video with info about detailing, but it also includes some useful information about what to do at gas stations and stuff. If you're not interested in the detailing part, skip to about 13:28 for some useful tips about avoiding germs while using your car generally, such as how to get gas. You'll notice he's, uh, detail oriented.

[video=youtube;NFuVNoYeo7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFuVNoYeo7Q[/video]

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

My first thought of what to do with this person was never bad but before I post that I want to know...

Did he driver because his work would not let him off to recovery? Meaning if he did not drive he was going to get fired?

Or did he drive knowing he could take sick leave but figured I can do this? Did he KNOW he had the c-virus?

The article does not say?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Well since it's caused by the topic of the thread, just got laid off for an additional third week. Thank God at the ripe age of 25 I was set up to weather a three month storm should it hit. Why can't we hold our corporations to the same standard? At this point I hope Trump vetoes the aid bill and just kamakazies the entire thing just out of spite.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Will try, since I've already tried every lotion known to man.

Ever tried 1% hydrocortisone cream? For whatever reason I decided to develop eczema this winter for the first time in my life. I've always had trouble/dry skin problems and I can tell you that cream is almost like magic.

It's a little spendy, but I've found using a little of that and thinning it with a little regular lotion works well for me.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ever tried 1% hydrocortisone cream? For whatever reason I decided to develop eczema this winter for the first time in my life. I've always had trouble/dry skin problems and I can tell you that cream is almost like magic.

It's a little spendy, but I've found using a little of that and thinning it with a little regular lotion works well for me.
    I have Rx cortisone cream, but I'm not convinced it does more good than harm.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have Rx cortisone cream, but I'm not convinced it does more good than harm.

That's too bad. I haven't noticed any down sides, thankfully. I have taken to wearing latex gloves (before it was cool) when out in the garage or doing stuff outside in the dry months. That seems to have really helped me a lot this winter too.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, please don't stop it forever - it's how I make a living. I am down 50% the last 30 days, I believe because many of my clients don't know what the hell to say in their mailings - too many unknowns to go forward.

(Side note:as an advertising medium, direct mail generally makes companies money. Yes, 97% goes in the trash, but who doesn't like pizza coupons?) :dunno:

QFT

It's stupid, we're still sort of working but the phone isn't ringing. To say I am upset and concerned is a understatement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom