Not open for further replies.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    In this fantasy, do we have a president who is constantly telling us about that the U.K. is our greatest enemy, and do we have a history of de jure racism against English immigrants? If so, yeah, I think it would be disrespectful to call a virus that. Context and subtext are related.

This little side discussion clearly isn't going anywhere. I'm willing to move along if you all will.

Who started this "discussion"?

The CCP thanks you for towing the line.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    giphy.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just seen Dr Nicole Saphire :thatshot:on FNC commenting that a lot of the virus testing could be wrong due to not getting the swab shoved in deep enough to get to the back of the sinus.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm sure this was posted before BUT it seams we need a refresher.

[video=youtube;4J0d59dd-qM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59dd-qM&list=WL&index=5&t=0s[/video]

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    no, we would not be all like NY. nowhere do we have that population density and mass transit. goofy to say it would be like that everywhere

Really, is there anything to dispute this? It could be just that simple.

Sorry Doc, it's not all about Mass Transit, and PURE population density on a per square mile basis.
    It's about coming into contact with a person who came into contact with an infected person.
    Suddenly it's not about who you come into contact on a daily basis, it's about people who come into contact with other people and down the line. because all people are not going to follow through with proper hand washing, no touch protocols. It becomes the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon Game.

30 top cites with a total population of 106,583,093 people. Each city with typical spots where people gather. Malls, city markets, public areas where the working congregate during lunch.
    How many people get something to eat at Indianapolis's City market daily, Lunch at Shapiro's or any other popular eatery.

It's already been proven this is a highly infectious virus, we know this. What we don't know is how much of the population could have become infected and spread further around.

I'll take the Barney Fife approach...

[video=youtube;0mj6B4DtNyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mj6B4DtNyM[/video]

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I've got a bad feeling about where today's numbers are going. Hopefully, it'll be an aberration/outlier.

It probably isn't productive to get hung up on day-to-day variations in the numbers. There will always be statistical variations and reporting issues involved. The overall trend seems more important, like maybe using a three day moving average or regression curve or some other line smoothing technique.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It probably isn't productive to get hung up on day-to-day variations in the numbers. There will always be statistical variations and reporting issues involved. The overall trend seems more important, like maybe using a three day moving average or regression curve or some other line smoothing technique.

Yeah, I've got those at my disposal, and there will be artificial highs and lows just because our reporting still sucks (although it may not suck as much as it previously did). That's the problem with models - they don't really take into account randomish fluctuations that are a part of the human experience.

The concern is that a new high then sets a new higher plateau. If we drop back down over the rest of the week, then that would be great.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Just seen Dr Nicole Saphire :thatshot:on FNC commenting that a lot of the virus testing could be wrong due to not getting the swab shoved in deep enough to get to the back of the sinus.

I'm sure it's like the test for flu. If you don't feel a tickle on the back of your skull, they didn't get it in there far enough.:n00b:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Calling it "the wuhan virus" accomplishes at least two negative things:
    1. It makes the conversation less precise.
    2. It disparages a group of victims as though Covid-19 was their fault.

I can't come up with any positive.

Yeah, it's a small thing. But why try to be abrasive about stuff like this? Conservatives are regularly labeled as racists; why give more ammo to the opposition for nothing gained?

"Wuhan" isn't a race. "China" isn't a race.

The people who live along the Ebola river have somehow managed to survive similar disparagement, though I note a distinct lack of virtue signaling when it comes to that particular, eponymous virus. Or Norovirus. Or Zika. Or (shall I go on?)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In this fantasy, do we have a president who is constantly telling us about that the U.K. is our greatest enemy, and do we have a history of de jure racism against English immigrants? If so, yeah, I think it would be disrespectful to call a virus that. Context and subtext are related.

This little side discussion clearly isn't going anywhere. I'm willing to move along if you all will.

FTFY

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's kind of a matter of granularity. When you get COVID-19 it attacks your lungs and destroys some ability to process oxygen. Your system fights back and the fight causes your lungs to fill with fluid which is pneumonia. The pneumonia further reduces your lungs ability to function and process oxygen. So when you die was it the COVID-19 (yes) or was it pneumonia (yes) or was it oxygen deprivation (yes). I don't see any problem naming COVID-19 as the cause of death, YMMV.

If you want to take it to the most basic level, you could say nobody dies from cancer either but rather from organ failure or some underlying failure which can get as granular as you want - from body level to organ level to cellular level to molecular level.

But the closer we get to using CoVid 19 as a default cause of death, specified when a patient meets any, some or all of the symptom profile, the larger the confidence window becomes on the most solid datum absent widespread testing. Not only does that complicate modeling, but it allows space for political games to be played to downplay or hype the seriousness of the events, needed levels of response and support for onerous restrictions

Maybe we already are, but I would think whatever criteria were used to assign cause of death in previous bad flu epidemics should be used now, especially since it would likely make comparison to previous outbreaks more meaningful and relevant

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a neighbor that will be dumping milk soon, if he didn’t today. He won’t do it too long before he gets rid of the cows, which is a shame. Score one for vertical integration and the big boys.

This saddens me. A shame there isn't some intermediate processor who could use it to make yogurt or cheese or something

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom