• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    @alpo What is the provenance for that chart? It almost looks like it is saying there are only 90k active cases in the US? Or that a max of about 6k cases were reported in any given day?

I'm not sure what "proof" that is trying to be.

Start here: [strike] https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INSDH/bulletins/2852219[/strike]. Wrong link. Correct link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

I get daily messages from the VA and Indiana Dept of Health.

The chart is from the CDC....if you look closely, you can see their ref down in the lower right at the linked image. I don't know why that didn't show up here.

What does it mean? I don't know...yet. But, I overlay this data against pneumonia incidences and Flu season data (in my head, I'm not a chart maker)....and I say: Hmmmmm.

I now await more data.

I also recognize that this son of a ***** is a killer of old people, so the warden and I are not heading out of the house any time soon.

But, we just had Cuomo asking for 30,000 ventilators and that not being enough for New York.....

....see where I'm headed? Looks to me like the air is more full of bull**** than virus.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    People really want to get close enough for people to actually fight? It's behavior inconsistent with the complaint.

Along that line, it's kinda like the video local news was playing of GE workers in Louisville, protesting about having to go to work. They're upset because they think the company is not doing enough to follow social distancing guidelines WHILE PROTESTING SHOULDER TO SHOULDER! And maybe they have a point. If they can't figure out how to distance themselves while protesting, maybe they're not going to do well at it on the job.

Is that the only demand? Not familiar with that particular situation, but a number of these things seem modeled on Pelosi's coronavirus proposals. They start out with some language addressing worries about coronavirus infection and then present a laundry list of unrelated demands for more pay, paid sick leave, health insurance for part time workers yada yada

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Start here: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INSDH/bulletins/2852219

The chart is from the CDC....if you look closely, you can see their ref down in the lower right at the linked image. I don't know why that didn't show up here.

What does it mean? I don't know...yet. But, I overlay this data against pneumonia incidences and Flu season data (in my head, I'm not a chart maker)....and I say: Hmmmmm.

I now await more data.

I also recognize that this son of a ***** is a killer of old people, so the warden and I are not heading out of the house any time soon.

But, we just had Cuomo asking for 30,000 ventilators and that not being enough for New York.....

....see where I'm headed? Looks to me like the air is more full of bull**** than virus.

Cuomo certainly is full of it, but we already knew that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Start here: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INSDH/bulletins/2852219

I now await more data.

I did the math last week on Cuomo's 30k ask for vents. It is alot. But, it was also reasonable based on available data. (Which means, using publicly available numbers and conservative estimates of things like transmission rates, it doesn't take long for NY to need 30k vents.)

I'm still left unclear about what any correlation between reduced flu rates/deaths and COVID-19 rates/deaths would mean to people. Like, people who die from childhood leukemia are far less likely to be diagnosed with alzheimers.

The earlier chart seems to show that - year-over-year - we were collectively getting better at battling the flu. Whether because of vaccines or treatments (like tamiflu), we were getting better at it. This year, the flu incidents dropped precipitously in the time of COVID-19, but that kinda makes sense, right?

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    NY deaths are down. indiana new cases are down. world new cases flattening out.

what are criteria to re-open?

we supposedly did all this to "flatten the curve". now that we have, are we going to start opening again? or has it changed to "we have to stop anyone from catching it"

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

we supposedly did all this to "flatten the curve". now that we have, are we going to start opening again? or has it changed to "we have to stop anyone from catching it"

I think it largely depends on if you’ve lost a job yet or not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

From my vantage point, it means watching the numbers to confirm we are flattening the curve.

Depending on what criteria you use, the flattening started around 3/23 or 4/3 or hasn't really started yet. If the next couple days worth of daily deaths are in the 1.2k range, then I'm willing to say that we've crossed from exponential growth to linear. That'd be good. It means that the wildfire still burns thousands of acres, but we have it mostly contained.

If we get through the next week with steady, or ideally decreasing numbers, then we can talk about when things can re-open, especially at a local level. Of course, I'd like to see a current discussion of those criteria. That's something you and I both agree on.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'm still left unclear about what any correlation between reduced flu rates/deaths and COVID-19 rates/deaths would mean to people. Like, people who die from childhood leukemia are far less likely to be diagnosed with alzheimers.

Please see corrected link.

What seems to be happening, from my layman's view at 30,000 feet is that 2020 Flu and pneumonia data curtails as the incidents for Covid begins. Perhaps we ought to be combining at least the pneumonia death data in a long term chart (over a few years) to see whether the pneumonia deaths are truly "pandemic" and unusual in 2020. The preliminary info we have at this point isn't suggestive of a pandemic.

That doesn't mean that we don't have a serious problem with a novel virus, particularly for our older citizens (anyone over, say, 45)...but it does make me wonder if China might have been reporting good numbers and that the current novel plague isn't as bad as has been portrayed.

I'm on the fence. And in my home. And I'll stay here at least for a few more weeks. But I don't see teotwawki.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Please see corrected link.

What seems to be happening, from my layman's view at 30,000 feet is that 2020 Flu and pneumonia data curtails as the incidents for Covid begins. Perhaps we ought to be combining at least the pneumonia death data in a long term chart (over a few years) to see whether the pneumonia deaths are truly "pandemic" and unusual in 2020. The preliminary info we have at this point isn't suggestive of a pandemic.

That doesn't mean that we don't have a serious problem with a novel virus, particularly for our older citizens (anyone over, say, 45)...but it does make me wonder if China might have been reporting good numbers and that the current novel plague isn't as bad as has been portrayed.

I'm on the fence. And in my home. And I'll stay here at least for a few more weeks. But I don't see teotwawki.

I'm not sure anyone was going all tiki-teotwawki - at least not among those I interact with (including on here).

This isn't a mutually exclusive thing. The flu (and related pneumonia) can be bad, without being a pandemic. Especially with a novel virus like this, that no one has antibodies too (at least not at the beginning), any comparison to the flu is kinda irrelevant.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I imagine that this is pretty dependent upon geography, more urban, more restaurant food, but that's just speculation on my part. Any information on that?

I have not gotten take-out food since this began and will not. I normally eat out 2 times a week (out of 21 meals) and that has dropped to "0", but I am amazed at the number of people who eat at least a meal out (or in, now) a day. This was foreign to me.

Living a very fast paced life we generally eat twice a day so we eat 90% of our main meals out. I have often thought about the cost of eating at home vs. out. To be fair these things have to calculated by how many you need to feed, and I only have two mouths to feed. The time to procure the food, haul it home, put it away, account for some spoilage, clean and prep it, then finally cook it. That is heavy on labor.

I have always said that I make too much to mow my grass. Between the efficiency of commercial landscapers and a good career it doesn't make sense. This very much looks similar in economic terms. And I did not think of it but the run on groceries was not just panic buying and hoarding, it was folks like me that had little or no food in the house. (Not counting the truly emergency food that I have no desire to eat. LOL)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I would imagine that somewhere in that decision making process is the fear of law suits.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom