actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Better send his top shelf door kickers

Imagine people in New York State forming "minute men". watching National Guard Armories. Watching hospitals.
    Then calling.
    Imagine National Guardsman finding themselves surrounded by veterans with more combat experience.
    Could get real ugly, real quick.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Imagine people in New York State forming "minute men". watching National Guard Armories. Watching hospitals.
    Then calling.
    Imagine National Guardsman finding themselves surrounded by veterans with more combat experience.
    Yeah I dont think some of these Tyrant governors know what they'd be sending their people into but it wouldn't be pretty.
    The government does not have the manpower to mess with the people.
    I love the Army but I love my blood family more. I dont want it to ever come to that but it wouldn't even be a hard choice for me.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    after researching and learning that industrial oxygen is just fine to breath, just drier than hospital oxygen.

It sounds like to me oxygen is bad for the virus, vent is bad for the lungs.

1) Industrial O2 is the same as Medical O2

2) O2 can be very bad for the lungs; I do not know how bad it may be for the virus but my gut will say it's minimal if at all.

3) Some BiPaps can be used as non-invasive ventilators; home units do not have the capabilities nor the power.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    This is quite stunning.
    The government models used to predict the extent of the coronavirus pandemic are off by huge margins in the latest coronavirus tracking numbers.

The current government predictions reported by Covid Tracking (https://covidtracking.com/data/ ) for Apr 5th show:

– All beds needed: 179,267
    – ICU beds needed: 33,176
    – Invasive ventilators: 26,544

covid-model-600x455.jpg

Those were the predictions.
    The actual numbers as recorded at The Covid Tracking Project

– Actual hospitalizations: 22,158
    – In ICU: 5,207
    – On ventilator: 656​

It is interesting; however, the data is incomplete to draw this conclusion. The Covid Tracking Project is only reporting data that is available. Many states are not reporting hospitalizations and ventilator use, including: New Jersey, Michigan, Washington, California (not reporting vent), Illinois, and Florida, which most are the up and comers. You can see who is and not reporting here: https://twnwi.com/States.php

The calculations have been pretty accurate as far as deaths go, but now seem to be over estimated but I believe we are now seeing the results of the mediation effort. Although the press jumped all over it, I agree with Pence yesterday, there are glimmers of hope regarding the virus....as far as what the government has done, those are some very dark clouds.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Took the weekend off of INGO and didn't really go back over the last few pages.

Quick observations:
    - Caught some of the Surgeon General comments over the weekend. I like that guy. He's doing a good job IMHO of staying apolitical and focusing on the message. I'm not sure what a promotion is from Surgeon General, but he should get it.

- I think we're flattening the curve. Or, to put it another way, the increase in deaths attributed to the virus is slowing. We're extending the days-to-double on the deaths, and we're tracking under 1.25x on daily death increases. Also, the IHME model is tending to over-estimate daily deaths. Now, there could be many reasons for this, including better understanding by medical professionals how to treat this, so people are dying/recovering more slowly. Lots of variables on that, so I'm just stating the observation.

- Italy experienced a peak death day on 3/27 and has had some ups and down since then, but not exceeded it. We were supposedly a week or so behind Italy. Our peak death day (so far) was 4/3. That's almost exactly 7 days later. That bodes well.

Looking back at the unfrozen caveman statistical model from last week, we're roughly a day "later" than predicted. So that's good.

All the talk of this being an important week is true, but only in the observational sense. That is, the REALLY important week was 2-3 weeks ago when people really needed to change their behavior. We're now going to see how effective that was/is.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Then calling.

How many of those National Guardsmen are from NYC and "downstate"?

More likely, he's going to be calling up guys to raid hospitals in their own stomping grounds. Ideally, you'll see some NYNG people refusing an illegal order.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Took the weekend off of INGO and didn't really go back over the last few pages.

Quick observations:
    - Caught some of the Surgeon General comments over the weekend. I like that guy. He's doing a good job IMHO of staying apolitical and focusing on the message. I'm not sure what a promotion is from Surgeon General, but he should get it.

- I think we're flattening the curve. Or, to put it another way, the increase in deaths attributed to the virus is slowing. We're extending the days-to-double on the deaths, and we're tracking under 1.25x on daily death increases. Also, the IHME model is tending to over-estimate daily deaths. Now, there could be many reasons for this, including better understanding by medical professionals how to treat this, so people are dying/recovering more slowly. Lots of variables on that, so I'm just stating the observation.

- Italy experienced a peak death day on 3/27 and has had some ups and down since then, but not exceeded it. We were supposedly a week or so behind Italy. Our peak death day (so far) was 4/3. That's almost exactly 7 days later. That bodes well.

Looking back at the unfrozen caveman statistical model from last week, we're roughly a day "later" than predicted. So that's good.

All the talk of this being an important week is true, but only in the observational sense. That is, the REALLY important week was 2-3 weeks ago when people really needed to change their behavior. We're now going to see how effective that was/is.

Can't rep you, but great thought out analysis.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    With regards to “complete data”, I’m seeing increasing numbers of articles where the authors are claiming that we may actually be attributing too many deaths to the CV. Earlier in this thread, someone posted a chart I’d seen over the weekend that shows the numbers of seasonal flu deaths, with each of the last several years overlaying one another. For this year, the seasonal flu death rate pretty well tracked previous years but in about February, the bottom drops out.

I’m just a regular guy, reading stuff, but it certainly does seem like whatever data we’re accumulating leaves plenty of room for doubt...especially when that data is leading officials to crush our economy and panic buyers.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    With regards to “complete data”, I’m seeing increasing numbers of articles where the authors are claiming that we may actually be attributing too many deaths to the CV. Earlier in this thread, someone posted a chart I’d seen over the weekend that shows the numbers of seasonal flu deaths, with each of the last several years overlaying one another. For this year, the seasonal flu death rate pretty well tracked previous years but in about February, the bottom drops out.

I’m just a regular guy, reading stuff, but it certainly does seem like whatever data we’re accumulating leaves plenty of room for doubt...especially when that data is leading officials to crush our economy and panic buyers.

Yeah, that's an interesting observation.

I've also read that this COVID-19 virus tends to "push out" things like the flu. That is, once it takes purchase in someone's system, it doesn't allow other maladies to intervene. I have no clue about the physiological reasons for that. And, it may just be as simple as when it takes over, it debilitates more quickly or more significantly than other maladies.

But look - all this social distancing stuff has a coordinate effect of mitigating the transmission of flu. If we'd been doing this all along, then we simply wouldn't have had as many flu cases over the years as we have.

And again, the officials aren't crushing our economy. The virus is forcing difficult decisions. Our service-based economy would've been hit really hard with millions of people either dead or in the hospital for a couple weeks, all at the same time. That's what the exponential growth was leading us towards.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, that's an interesting observation.

I've also read that this COVID-19 virus tends to "push out" things like the flu. That is, once it takes purchase in someone's system, it doesn't allow other maladies to intervene. I have no clue about the physiological reasons for that. And, it may just be as simple as when it takes over, it debilitates more quickly or more significantly than other maladies.

But look - all this social distancing stuff has a coordinate effect of mitigating the transmission of flu. If we'd been doing this all along, then we simply wouldn't have had as many flu cases over the years as we have.

And again, the officials aren't crushing our economy. The virus is forcing difficult decisions. Our service-based economy would've been hit really hard with millions of people either dead or in the hospital for a couple weeks, all at the same time. That's what the exponential growth was leading us towards.

Yes, they are the ones crushing it. They have done it based on scientific models...that are based on incomplete data and guesses. Now, I can’t say I would have done much different and I fully realize hindsight is always 20/20.

I posted an article yesterday basically saying we’re only looking at one side of an equation here. We’re only looking on the side that attempts to calculate the toll this disease might cause in a worse case scenario. What we’re not doing is balancing that equation by equal weights and measures by calculating the toll caused by shutting down the economy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, they are the ones crushing it. They have done it based on scientific models...that are based on incomplete data and guesses. Now, I can’t say I would have done much different and I fully realize hindsight is always 20/20.

I posted an article yesterday basically saying we’re only looking at one side of an equation here. We’re only looking on the side that attempts to calculate the toll this disease might cause in a worse case scenario. What we’re not doing is balancing that equation by equal weights and measures by calculating the toll caused by shutting down the economy.

From my perspective, the decisions were actually made on the best-case scenario modeling. If the WCS models were used for decisionmaking, these "please stay at home if you want to, but we are really going to ask nicely" would've been "stay home or else."

Seriously, I do see evidence of the balancing you describe. Trying to avoid the WCS for death toll means getting the economy back online sooner than buying into the herd immunity strategy. Trump has this part of the response exactly right: let local and state-level officials figure out their needs and how to balance them.

Voluntarily shutting a factory to prevent all the employees from getting sick or dying is smarter than letting them all get sick at the same time and seeing how many of them die. Businesses have invested in human capital - it isn't like you can just take someone off the street and put them in a particular job.

The response certainly wasn't perfect. But, I do see federal and state officials trying to balance all of it. They know their political future hinges on both a (perceived) low body count AND getting the economy going again.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

I understand the stories. One simply has to look at who owns the sources posting the stories.The same for deaths being under counted which is also being said.

It is a left vs right message difference. Follow the money.

So who is right?

Both honestly. Many cases of people dying without being tested at home not being reported. Many cases of someone dying that is also infected with covid-19 where the cause is another reason.

Differences in how to confirm causes of deaths also seems to be largely along political lines.

It is a mess reporting and testing wise to be sure.

Point of my post?

Follow the science and not the narrative of either side. A message in the media is simply who controls that media's opinion(who owns it?).

We know so little so finding facts,and questioning those is more important than ever.

It is sad when even "facts" seem to change. Take the mask message for example. The surgeon general was telling people to not buy or wear them for 2 months,now he is making videos showing how to make them and saying you need to wear them anytime you are in public.

Also facts that where known 3 months ago are suddenly new information,because the message was seen as needing to change(like the fact this was airborne).

My personal opinion based on 4+ months of following this and understanding a bit is we are still just at the start. Not just of the disease itself,but of the effects it will have on everything.

I could be wrong,but given China just reported the highest total of new cases in 3 weeks and locked 2 provinces back down along with traffic in Beijing falling back to only 2% of normal it does appear my ideas may have merit.

Simply put no matter what the message is we are in a global pandemic and it will continue to impact all of society.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

There are FOR profit hospitals as well that dont qualify as charitable organizations. But it does not matter. Orange man is evil we have been told time and time again and facts mean nothing to the Ds who just want him gone.

He could personally find the cure to c-virus all cancers, remove us from our china dependence and still the Ds will NOT accept it.

Zeus's could come down and tell the world this is his son and the Ds would say must be an illegitimate child since you are only NOW claiming him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom