• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sooner or later, things will return to a new normal. I wonder how many things like plexiglass for cashiers, lines that encourage distance, e.t.c will stay in place.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with a person who stocks up on high demand items for resale at a high profit later? We call it the stock market in good times, price gouging in bad?

No soup for you.

Yes, it is pure capitalism, but against the law in many states.

One has to wonder whether Feldheim acquired the masks legally. I'm sure he's got receipts....don'cha think?

And if you're looking, I can sell you an autographed N95 mask for $10,000. One only. Hurry.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How long can the state operate (Indiana’s state government) with the reduced tax revenue they’ve certainly got to see coming now? At what point do they burn through their surplus and have to start laying off folks? Is it weeks? Months? I really don’t know.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with a person who stocks up on high demand items for resale at a high profit later? We call it the stock market in good times, price gouging in bad?

Do you suspect that he got a retail merchants certificate and is collecting sales tax on his new endeavor?

Because if not, what he is doing is not legal.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    How long can the state operate (Indiana’s state government) with the reduced tax revenue they’ve certainly got to see coming now? At what point do they burn through their surplus and have to start laying off folks? Is it weeks? Months? I really don’t know.

I was thinking the same thing only on a local level. Fort Waynes mayor spends $1.09 for every $1.10 that comes in. While I agree downtown Fort Wayne has come a long way he has nothing put back for situations like this. Our roads up here are awful, I can always imagine what they will look like in a year from now.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I was thinking the same thing only on a local level. Fort Waynes mayor spends $1.09 for every $1.10 that comes in. While I agree downtown Fort Wayne has come a long way he has nothing put back for situations like this. Our roads up here are awful, I can always imagine what they will look like in a year from now.

Fort Wayne's mayors, for my entire life time, have been complete idiots too. Tens of thousands of good manufacturing and tech jobs fled that city and I never could figure out what the plan to replace them is. Healthcare jobs? Barista? That's the reason I moved.

At the state level, Indiana has an annual budget of $20B and we have a reserve set back of about $2B, so... We can handle about 6 weeks with NO tax revenue. A more likely scenario would be several months with vastly reduced tax revenue.

Now are friends in IL...? Not so much.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    https://tennesseestar.com/2020/04/0...tornado-devastation-and-coronavirus-pandemic/

Is there anyone here who believes this won’t become more common as this drags on? The government (federal or state) doesn’t like to miss meals...they’re going to eat...and you’re going to keep it fed.

These two posts and a few others way upthread kind of point to what I would call a silver lining in this whole deal. There is an opportunity to fix some of what is broken in our country. Sure, you have to break it more. It would be very painful to many, but so many are already going to feel so much pain. Why, because you have a govt job should you be exempt? Where are all the people that were calling for everything to be burnt down and start over?

Do we really want to go back to exactly how things were, or is there an opportunity to make things better, whatever that may look like?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    These two posts and a few others way upthread kind of point to what I would call a silver lining in this whole deal. There is an opportunity to fix some of what is broken in our country. Sure, you have to break it more. It would be very painful to many, but so many are already going to feel so much pain. Why, because you have a govt job should you be exempt? Where are all the people that were calling for everything to be burnt down and start over?

Do we really want to go back to exactly how things were, or is there an opportunity to make things better, whatever that may look like?

I’m betting if some more of these people seriously had to worry about their jobs getting axed, there’s be a big push from the “shut it all down” mentality to something that would get the economy back to work.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

As one of the government drones who provides an important but not critical function to government and society, I agree that this might have a silver lining. Decreased tax revenues will cause governments at many levels to reconsider what functions and programs need to be scaled back.

My hope is that the fluffy, social-justice-warrior-related whims that existed because times were good and we had the economic and societal surplus to allow those things to flourish will wither. Just like the peace/love/antiwar/whatever movement of the 60's went away with the economic devastation of the oil shortage, etc, in the early 70's, maybe some of the BS going on right now will go away because people worried about "putting food on their families" just don't have the tolerance to deal with it.

But maybe I'm too hopeful.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Wait til they run out of toilet paper. That will rile em up.

olmW5Xh.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    As one of the government drones who provides an important but not critical function to government and society, I agree that this might have a silver lining. Decreased tax revenues will cause governments at many levels to reconsider what functions and programs need to be scaled back.

My hope is that the fluffy, social-justice-warrior-related whims that existed because times were good and we had the economic and societal surplus to allow those things to flourish will wither. Just like the peace/love/antiwar/whatever movement of the 60's went away with the economic devastation of the oil shortage, etc, in the early 70's, maybe some of the BS going on right now will go away because people worried about "putting food on their families" just don't have the tolerance to deal with it.

But maybe I'm too hopeful.

Well said, and very admired coming from someone who might feel the pain of it.

Want to reiterate, not cheerleading for it. Mostly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom