• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Regardless of what the prez sayz or what timeline you try to hold him to..... it just isn't going to happen.
    You guys realize this isn't going away anytime soon, right?

We all got advanced warning of what was coming long before it hit America. Just go back through the 1st CV thread and read some of Smokingman's posts. He voluntarily gave up countless hours every day since this started to bring us vital information before any major news groups were reporting it.
    He didn't have to do that.

I am NOT a prepper by any means BUT I do try to stay prepared in the event of no power, gas, water, fuel, food, etc... My dad wasn't rich but he always taught us to think ahead and the importance of knowing how to camp. When I lived in CA we grew up with earthquakes. Then when I was married we lived through all those stupid wildfires. I lost track of how many time we evacuated. We did ok.

Now I'm divorced (THANK GOD), laid up with an injury and will never work again. I barely making ends meet but I still try to keep backup food and water in case of "whatever" and the means to cook it. When this started, I was a bit low on everything. I had already dipped into my reserves and was completely out of some other items.

On one of my bad days, when I had absolutely no business walking let alone driving, I went out and got some things I was low on and out of. I also gassed up all my spare cans and filled my vehicles including the one that's broken down.

Smokingman was the only reason I did this.
    I damn near max a few cards and went a bit crazy but after a week of me stocking up, the local stores got raided and bought out. My cupboards are full and I am going be able to stay in my house for as long as it takes.

I owe all of this to Smokingman.
    All of you guys that keep denying how bad this really is or try to count the days to get back to normalcy, knock it the **** off. We will probably never get back to what you consider was "normal" and this could all take way longer than anyone expected. By no fault of Trump or the rest of the world.
    Except China.... ALL of this IS China's fault.

Thank You Smokingman.
    I now have everything I need to get through this apocalypse including toilet paper. I don't appreciate how he was treated here. Some of you need to do some soul searching to think about what you did and how you are going to fix it. If you think you're just too high and mighty to take anything here serious, you can just kiss my hairy derriere.

BTW- We haven't even gotten through the 1st wave yet. Are you ready for the 2nd one? :dunno:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm talking about the SIP order, not the SD guidelines. My reasoning, which is just my opinion, of shortening them up is that the estimates of infection seem to have been initially inflated. I haven't heard anything saying they're going to shorten it or have any other reason for expecting them to do so. Nor am I advocating one way or the other.

Hope they don’t shorten the Shelter In Place order. It takes a few days for businesses to ramp back up to open. Also straddling one more weekend keeps the drunks out of the bars and the church ladies out of church. The Governors order choosing which businesses succeed and which ones fail should not be extended, it was to cover the magic 14 days and no reason to extend. I also hope they don’t extend the Shelter In Place as I am not sure more days will help defeat the virus but will certainly destroy the economy. Remember in two days there are going to be a lot of missed rent/mortgage payments.

Hopefully everyone one has spent the last two weeks learning to maintain a social distance and practice proper hygiene. Probably just as important as the Shelter In Place.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Watching Water's World, he had a report from a doctor working in a New York hospital which has Coronavirus patients almost exclusively.
    He said 99% of the transmission is "hand to face;" touching a contaminated surface or hand and, then, touching your face.
    So, wash your hands and don't touch your face.

He said aerosol transmission would require 15-30 minutes in close proximity with an infected person.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Spitballing here, I'm going to guess that their vastly closer proximity to travelers from China (about 10 hours as compared to 20 for most of us) as well as them being a winter vacation hot-spot for pretty much the entire northern hemisphere may contribute to that. I'm sure there's data to either refute or support my gut, but I'm too lazy to dig for it. ;)

There was a video going around somewhere of a animated visualization of where people from Wuhan were traveling just before the lockdown, and Australia was the second most popular destination. I think it was actually a WaPo thing

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    CBS....See...B S
    af77639d1dcf92f073e122a00d33f79a.jpg
    7355078869ff419ac1812857ece0573c.jpg

Wish I had trademarked "fake news".

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There was a video going around somewhere of a animated visualization of where people from Wuhan were traveling just before the lockdown, and Australia was the second most popular destination. I think it was actually a WaPo thing

I'm not surprised. I know that Auz to Japan is about like one of us driving out of state for something to those guys. Seems to be a popular thing to do so I imagined China wasn't much different.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The anti-malaria drug with a Z-pack is showing some promise according to a few sites. That’s really the only way I see anything slowing down. A vaccine is a year out, at least. We can’t continue like this for much longer. That concoction being successful is the only way out I see for a return to some sense of normalcy.

Yep. Everyone should watch this video. If I get this **** I'll be searching for a doctor that will give this drug to me. Or maybe die trying. It's a no brainer.

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28...hydroxychloroquine-sulfate-zinc-z-pak-update/

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    https://www.breitbart.com/health/20...ency-authorization-of-hydroxychloroquine-use/

FDA Gives Emergency Authorization of Hydroxychloroquine Use

The use of the drug — often paired with azithromycin — has not yet been proven in clinical trials to be effective against the disease. However, given reported success in a growing number of small, non-randomized studies; as well as testimonials from doctors and patients about the use of the “off-label” drug regimen, doctors are said to be prescribing the treatment to patients who are severely ill. Anecdotally, many doctors are taking it prophylactically.

Maybe our $1200 checks will come with prescriptions too so we can start taking this stuff and get back to work.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    VICTOR DAVIS HANSON
    March 26, 2020

The ancient Greeks believed that true leadership in a crisis came down to what they called pronoia — the Greek word for “strategic foresight.”

Some statesmen, such as Pericles and Themistocles, had it. Most others, such as the often brilliant and charismatic but impulsive Alcibiades, usually did not.

“Foresight” in crisis means sizing up a nation’s assets and debits, then maximizing advantages and minimizing liabilities. The leader with foresight, especially in times of irrational despair, then charts a rational pathway to victory.

Such crisis leaders do not fall into panic and depression when the media shout “Catastrophe!” Nor do they preen when the same chorus screams “Genius!” in times of success.

The English poet Rudyard Kipling would have defined such a gift as: “If you can keep your head when all about you / Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,” or “If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster / And treat those two impostors just the same.”

Some American military leaders — such as Generals George Patton, William Tecumseh Sherman, and Curtis LeMay — sounded as scary in times of peace as they did in times of war. The traits ensuring that peacetime life stays predictable are not always the same as those required to return it to predictability when times turn utterly terrifying.

During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln knew the overwhelming advantages of the Union could eventually defeat the South, but only if he could hold the nation together through disasters such as the battles of Bull Run and Chancellorsville, and only once he found brilliant generals such as Sherman and Ulysses S. Grant.

In World War II, Winston Churchill proved perhaps the most impressive wartime leader in history. During Britain’s darkest hours of nonstop German bombing of London, he knew that declining British assets were still greater than an ascendant Germany’s advantages. Eventually, despite razor-thin margins of error, these assets would ensure victory.

Churchill was assured that Britain had a great navy and Germany did not. Britain would soon have as allies America and Russia, both far stronger than German partners Italy and Japan.

Churchill foresaw that the economies of those future allies would be far superior to those of the Axis. And Churchill grasped all this even as defeat loomed and some in his own party were calling for him to negotiate with Adolf Hitler.

Franklin D. Roosevelt likewise had foresight. In the nightmarish days after Pearl Harbor, FDR calmly unleashed private enterprise to rearm America at what he knew would be an astonishing rate.

Roosevelt promised victory not because he knew it would be quick, but because he calculated that if he just made the right choices, the ensuing advantages of the U.S. would certainly ensure victory.

Even in the first bleak days of the war, FDR kept reminding the nation why and how America would win. That confidence was not based on fantasies but on rational calculation and justified optimism.

In the present crisis of the coronavirus, what will determine the effectiveness of President Trump’s leadership is not what the media scream today or the polls say tomorrow. The praise of his supporters or the predictable damnation of his enemies won’t matter.

Rather, Trump will win or lose on whether he has strategic foresight. If he panics and keeps the country locked down for too long, we will go into depression that will cost more lives than the virus. But if Trump prematurely declares victory and urges Americans to rush back to normal life, he may reboot the virus and reignite another cycle of panic.

Instead, Trump will have to possess the confidence to see how the world’s greatest economy, greatest medical talent, greatest military, and greatest energy and food production can all be marshaled in a symphonic fashion. That correct formula could fend off a potentially biblical plague without destroying the largest economy in history.

If Trump exhibits such cunning and wisdom, then he can balance the consensus of his medical experts that the virus is existentially dangerous with the warnings of his economic advisers that shutting down a multi-trillion-dollar economy can become even more ruinous — and lethal — for Americans.

Like Churchill, Trump must have the right information but also the instincts to determine which expert advice is suspect and which is inspired, and which orthodox recommendation is wrong and which unorthodox alternative is right.

Do that, and Trump can defeat the virus, save the economy, and turn a disaster into a collective American victory over both infection and depression.

Such foresight can also remind the nation never again to outsource key industries to China, and not to listen to those who always predict catastrophe in bleak times, only to later take credit for others’ victories.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...t-put-to-test/

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Another 77,500 deaths in two weeks? That's quite the ramp-up.

Yesterday was an aberration of a good day. Seems like those who report the stats may have taken Sunday off. The number was low enough to tip the trend line downward, at least temporarily.

Much will depend on today's rebound, or tomorrow's.

If we get to 10k by next Monday, then 80k by the following Monday is achievable.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    In World War II, Winston Churchill proved perhaps the most impressive wartime leader in history. During Britain’s darkest hours of nonstop German bombing of London, he knew that declining British assets were still greater than an ascendant Germany’s advantages. Eventually, despite razor-thin margins of error, these assets would ensure victory.

Churchill was assured that Britain had a great navy and Germany did not. Britain would soon have as allies America and Russia, both far stronger than German partners Italy and Japan.

Churchill foresaw that the economies of those future allies would be far superior to those of the Axis. And Churchill grasped all this even as defeat loomed and some in his own party were calling for him to negotiate with Adolf Hitler.

Darkest Hour illustrates this very well. A must see if you havent seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIiQwhL6dY

Do that, and Trump can defeat the virus, save the economy, and turn a disaster into a collective American victory over both infection and depression.

Today's news that the FDA has approved that Hydroxychloroquine drug is the game changer that will deliver this very thing. This virus will most certainly come back around in another wave in the fall and when it does there will be no reason to panic because this drug kills the virus.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I read earlier today that the chloroquine treatment was really working well, I think in Spain but I can’t find the article now. They’re using it in NY and we’ll know soon. IIRC they were using it only in specific cases. But this shows great promise. I remember the byline was something like it reduces recovery time to 5 days instead of two weeks plus.

Speaking to your “can’t” sentence; I understand your sentiment, but if someone would have told you (spoiler alert, they did) a month and a half ago that we were going to tell everyone to stay home from work you would have said (did say) can’t. So, we can, we just really don’t want to if we can help it. Hopefully the treatment will come along well.

That would be awesome if it turns out this treatment would reduce the recovery time to 5 days. It's around the 5 day mark where they're saying the auto-immune response kicks in and things turn to **** from there. That is encouraging news.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom