• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Let me get this right for future reference.
    IF a civilian has an issue when he knows a cop is wrong he shouldn't do anything at the time and fight it later.
    IF a cop doesn't like it he just does what he wants to and hope no one is the wiser and even if they are hope they don't fight it?
    Have I got this part right?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Let me get this right for future reference.
    IF a civilian has an issue when he knows a cop is wrong he shouldn't do anything at the time and fight it later.
    IF a cop doesn't like it he just does what he wants to and hope no one is the wiser and even if they are hope they don't fight it?
    Have I got this part right?

A train is a powerful piece of equipment. When you're driving the car crossing the tracks as the train gets there, arguing that you had the right of way doesn't make you any less dead.
    When you, in a car, tangle with that much power where that power is otherwise unchecked, you will lose, every time.

Conversely, a US battleship is a powerful piece of equipment as well, and when one orders you to change your course, you are well-advised to do so, unless you're a lighthouse.

Does that answer your question, Harry? :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Pretty much right, I think.

Cops have guns and handcuffs and, as we have seen here, other cops in the area are reluctant to stop a misbehaving officer. Resisting the officer is not a fair fight. If you must fight a LEO, the best place is in court where the odds are more even.

When my sons were teenagers, I always told them that if they were stopped by the police the correct answers were always, "Yes sir," "No sir," and "Whatever you say, sir." If the officers actions were wrong, we would settle it in court where there is less likelihood of getting beat up.

This nurse did not resist the officer; she merely denied him permission to do what he wanted. It would be like me telling an officer he couldn't break into and search my neighbors house without a warrant. If that statement was my only action, he would have no right to arrest me, but trying to resist the false arrest would likely end badly for me.

It may not be right, but it is reality.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I appreciate the clarification again. It's good to know one's boundaries.
    I think I know when to sit down and shut up.
    My hired mouth piece recommends my changing to de-caf and stfu until he gets in his 2 cents worth.
    I'm old enough that I've used up a large portion of my allotted stupidity.

MrsSilverlight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Female's take:

She said several times that administrators were on their way down to speak with him, why else would he target her for his anger and frustration and put his hands on her if it wasn't for the sole purpose of bullying her into submission?

I probably would have called out everyone standing around watching him man handling her for being cowards. And he'd also have more than likely gotten a well-deserved "accidental" groin kick. I'm not one to sit back and watch injustice go on without attempting to right it.

Mr. Arrestypants would be getting sued for battery, if it was possible. I'm not sure how the law works with that, because I've never been handcuffed. But as hard as he jerked her and my bone issues I have, he would have either dislocated or broken something if that were me, so I'd be handing his rear to him later in court.

Also, question for those more educated. If she was handcuffed and sitting in the patrol car, at what point should she have been read her Miranda Rights? They had her sitting in the car for 20 minutes. That's questionable to me, but again, I'm not sure of exact procedure in that situation.

Ultimately, she released the video after getting the run-around and being dismissed by the department of her concerns. And I believe this story would NOT have gotten as much attention if the patient she was protecting wasn't an off-duty reserve officer for Idaho. They've also publicly thanked her for her resolution in protecting his rights.

Police Chief Thanks Nurse Who Was Arrested Defending Patient?An Off-Duty Reserve Officer

Also, I have no issues with LEOs. There's usually a bad apple or too in a bunch. It happens, no one is perfect, I get it. But I'm completely disgusted not one of them on that video asked that officer to calm down. Not one. How much of a negative ripple is this going to make in their community knowing any innocent female that follows the law is at risk of being jerked around and arrested? The PD also attempted to spin it that the partnership in place between their local hospital and officers was in effect after this incident, but after further research it was disclosed that it had been in effect for well over a year. Add to that the fact he KNEW he was on camera, and still decided he was going to barrel over her and do as he liked. Ridiculous.

On another note, Gainesville Police Department has a fantastic social media outreach campaign going on right now. Worth the laughs to check it out guys.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That's a good first step. I am surprised the department is even doing that. Perhaps they will investigate fully and objectively and then take appropriate actions to ensure it never happens again. I won't hold my breath, but it could happen.

So neither are facing charges at this point.

I remain hopeful.

This nurse did not resist the officer; she merely denied him permission to do what he wanted. It would be like me telling an officer he couldn't break into and search my neighbors house without a warrant. If that statement was my only action, he would have no right to arrest me, but trying to resist the false arrest would likely end badly for me.

It may not be right, but it is reality.

That's a really good point. I saw nothing that nurse did that would warrant what happened to her.

Female's take:

She said several times that administrators were on their way down to speak with him, why else would he target her for his anger and frustration and put his hands on her if it wasn't for the sole purpose of bullying her into submission?

Your female's take agrees with my pachyderm's take.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That's a really good point. I saw nothing that nurse did that would warrant what happened to her.

She told him no. That was enough for him. You could literally see him snap as she told him he didn't have the legal authority to do what he wanted. First thing that popped into my head "No one tells me no!"

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Female's take:

I probably would have called out everyone standing around watching him man handling her for being cowards. And he'd also have more than likely gotten a well-deserved "accidental" groin kick. I'm not one to sit back and watch injustice go on without attempting to right it.

Mr. Arrestypants would be getting sued for battery, if it was possible. I'm not sure how the law works with that, because I've never been handcuffed. But as hard as he jerked her and my bone issues I have, he would have either dislocated or broken something if that were me, so I'd be handing his rear to him later in court.

Also, question for those more educated. If she was handcuffed and sitting in the patrol car, at what point should she have been read her Miranda Rights? They had her sitting in the car for 20 minutes. That's questionable to me, but again, I'm not sure of exact procedure in that situation.

Ultimately, she released the video after getting the run-around and being dismissed by the department of her concerns. And I believe this story would NOT have gotten as much attention if the patient she was protecting wasn't an off-duty reserve officer for Idaho. They've also publicly thanked her for her resolution in protecting his rights.

Police Chief Thanks Nurse Who Was Arrested Defending Patient?An Off-Duty Reserve Officer

Also, I have no issues with LEOs. There's usually a bad apple or too in a bunch. It happens, no one is perfect, I get it. But I'm completely disgusted not one of them on that video asked that officer to calm down. Not one. How much of a negative ripple is this going to make in their community knowing any innocent female that follows the law is at risk of being jerked around and arrested? The PD also attempted to spin it that the partnership in place between their local hospital and officers was in effect after this incident, but after further research it was disclosed that it had been in effect for well over a year. Add to that the fact he KNEW he was on camera, and still decided he was going to barrel over her and do as he liked. Ridiculous.

On another note, Gainesville Police Department has a fantastic social media outreach campaign going on right now. Worth the laughs to check it out guys.
    The problem with your reaction is that you would then be performing an arrest able act, assaulting an officer. Regardless of the circumstances that precipitated your actions, you would likely be placed under arrest and charged even though the officer was in the wrong to begin with. This is the sad state of affairs that we live in and why you often see legal advice that says be silent, let them abuse their power, and address it in court. It isn't ideal, but it's what we have. And yes, there are still circumstances that would negate that advice. I don't believe the scenario being discussed is one of them though.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If Officer Arrestypants displays the same attitude in court that he displayed in the incident, he may well testify, "The #@%* is lucky I didn't just shoot her."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am of the opinion that the offending officer should have to spend a week or so in a jail cell with inmates he arrested.

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    She may not be suing yet, but something tells me she is going to have a very comfortable retirement. But seriously, I love our police officers and 99% of the time would back them up, but in this case he needs to go.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom