• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    If this is true, then I have zero issue with the bill. I think any extra burden on anyone who's already licensed should be out of bounds.

I personally wouldn't mind. Greater good. Sure I may have "wasted" money on the lifetime but this is about the overall good of the state and ultimately the country.

BFG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally wouldn't mind. Greater good. Sure I may have "wasted" money on the lifetime but this is about the overall good of the state and ultimately the country.

Has there been any definitive confirmation either way on the status of the current LTCH if this were to pass? I scanned through the changes indicated in the bill and this does not appear to be addressed. References to the current LTCH are stricken out and replaced with reciprocity license. :scratch:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Lucas was on the radio (WOWO, Ft Wayne) on the drive in to work this morning. He did a great job presenting the bill and addressing typical questions. His comments about the "false security" of the permit requirement in terms of the permit preventing criminals from carrying was particularly well presented. For the OCD, he corrected the host that IN has a LTCH vs CCP.

-rvb

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Let's get ultra techincal here for a second. Will most states, maybe all states, who recognize the LTCH in Indiana also recognize the reciprical license if the LTCH no longer exists? Maybe we are splitting hairs, but this could be a legal issue if stopped in another state. I think we all realize that none of us who travel need any firearm issue to be raised in another state because a politician did not dot their "i's" or cross their "t's".

Could the language be written, and maybe it was , to include the choice of the existing LTCH or the reciprical license? I get the argument of a license being contrary to the terms and perhaps intent of the bill. There are other issues at stake here than just carry in Indiana.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Any existing lifetime licenses would automatically become the new "reciprocity" license. if the law gets passed as written,our current license (shall issue, no training requirement, lifetime) would merely become optional, for reciprocity purposes, but not be mandatory for in state, lawful carry.

Just curious where you heard this??

From everything I see in the text of the legislation our existing LTCH's will become null and void (along with any of the out-of-state permits we have - Arizona, Utah, etc. - that depend on being licensed in our home state) until we pony up $40 for the new license, plus get re-fingerprinted, etc.

This is one issue we need to get an official determination on!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This, indeed. Sounds like the originator of the bill just wants another revenue stream for the state. I already paid once for a lifetime license. Why should I have to do it again? That's BS.

Any existing lifetime licenses would automatically become the new "reciprocity" license. if the law gets passed as written,our current license (shall issue, no training requirement, lifetime) would merely become optional, for reciprocity purposes, but not be mandatory for in state, lawful carry.

John, you normally are very up on the bills and laws. I'm sure you wouldn't say this without something to support it. On p. 16 of HB 1056, though, it says in lines 22-26 that someone wanting to obtain a FRL who already has a LTCH (no longer needed in Indiana) must pay $40 to obtain it. I'm sure I'm missing something here. So....'splain it to me? :)

Blessings,
    Bill

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    John, you normally are very up on the bills and laws. I'm sure you wouldn't say this without something to support it. On p. 16 of HB 1056, though, it says in lines 22-26 that someone wanting to obtain a FRL who already has a LTCH (no longer needed in Indiana) must pay $40 to obtain it. I'm sure I'm missing something here. So....'splain it to me? :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,

This is for those currently not having a lifetime license, but a regular license, and wanting to upgrade to a lifetime upgrade.
    "(3) From a person applying for a lifetime handgun reciprocity license who currently possesses a valid Indiana handgun reciprocity license, a forty dollar ($40) application fee, thirty dollars ($30) of which shall be refunded if the license is not issued."

This will be checked and verified so there is ZERO misunderstanding!

John :patriot:

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I have mixed feelings about this bill's chances of success. I support Constitutional Carry for sure, and it is starting to expand across the country the same way that licensed carry did after Florida passed their bill in 1987.

Having the ability to get a license to carry at that point in most places was a fantasy. I also realize that it's been old hat here in Indiana since the 1930's. I grew up in Ohio and we didn't get a bill passed there until 2004. We really got the fight to pass that bill rolling in the late 90's and used to point to the west during debates over whether or not Ohio should have concealed carry and use Indiana as a shining example.

The liberal fear-mongering is sure to ensue, but it's pointless. A prohibited person is still going to be so. Since there is a lack of a training requirement here the only thing they could legitimately be worried about is the fact that we will no longer have to bribe the State to recover a lost right.

On one hand, I feel it has a good chance because it's just my luck to have recently dumped $135 down the proverbial toilet to get a Lifetime license. I've also been tapping my foot waiting for them to send me said license for over a month since local approval went through. That would annoy me. Usually bills that annoy me become law.

On the other hand, I'm sure that the state is well aware of the money this is generating and really would like that to keep happening. That goes against it passing. Either way, I would be interested in a rally as well and will express my support for it to my representatives.

Chris

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Speaker Bosma is not really in support of this bill.

If we ever want it to see the general assembly we should be hammering his office to force him to bring it to a vote.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Well, let's go home then.:D

Who cares what Mr. "it's going to be an economic session" says?

He d**ked us over last year. We are owed. It is now or, well, not never, but a long time.

It has to be our year this year.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

If we ever want it to see the general assembly we should be hammering his office to force him to bring it to a vote.
    Honestly he isn't a big supporter of most gun things. But he does listen to constituents. So call him. Email him.
    We CAN get this passed!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Honestly he isn't a big supporter of most gun things. But he does listen to constituents. So call him. Email him.
    We CAN get this passed!

After Bosma embarrassed the state last year by chasing that stupid rabbit of IRIFRA, I could care less if he says he can't pull a vote because of plagues of frogs, flies or locusts.

Don't care, Brian. We are owed. Pay us.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Bill,

This is for those currently not having a lifetime license, but a regular license, and wanting to upgrade to a lifetime upgrade.
    "(3) From a person applying for a lifetime handgun reciprocity license who currently possesses a valid Indiana handgun reciprocity license, a forty dollar ($40) application fee, thirty dollars ($30) of which shall be refunded if the license is not issued."

This will be checked and verified so there is ZERO misunderstanding!

John :patriot:

Thanks....

We DEFINITELY need to get this one ironed out for those of us already carrying Lifetime LTCH's. In my county it was hard enough to get the local LEO to sign off on it the first time... since he's by and large anti-gun.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    It's ironic that some people are so concerned about a paltry sum of money they paid to get their rights out of hostage status from the state. From a long term perspective and especially for future generations this is a worthwhile legacy to pass down, whatever it costs.

And it needs to be paid for somehow, a whole new database and admin will need to be implemented at the ISP to make reciprocity happen for LEO inquiries etc.

Another $40.00? bucks to promote some real liberty for a change? Small price to pay...

Top Bottom