• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I like the grip and the way they look. I don't like the low capacity, and I found them to be a pain to disassemble.

I put thin grips on my CZ P01 and never looked back.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I'd take a Springer any day. You're just buying the name with the Colt and Kimber. Wouldn't touch the Paras. Taurus is alright. Again, you're just buying the name with a Smith&Wesson. Not saying the Smith is bad, just overrated. 1911s like Les Baers are nice but would you really want to carry one in a muddy field?

I'm assuming that you have extensively tested all the pistols above before you came to your conclusions. :dunno:
    I can only speak to what I've owned and rung out but I've never had a failure from a Gen 1 Kimber or a Nighthawk and every one of those pistols I've owned were extremely accurate and would feed anything, including and empty case.
    As always just my:twocents:

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I'm assuming that you have extensively tested all the pistols above before you came to your conclusions. :dunno:
    I can only speak to what I've owned and rung out but I've never had a failure from a Gen 1 Kimber or a Nighthawk and every one of those pistols I've owned were extremely accurate and would feed anything, including and empty case.
    As always just my:twocents:

Valunteered for a Gunsmith when I lived in Michigan. Just because I said you were paying for the name didn't mean I said they weren't reliable. Would you risk damaging a nicely finished expensive pistol like a Les Baer.

Just like the Remington 870 Shotgun. You got the Express and Wingmaster. Which one would you choose a Utility Firearm?

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Will,

While I would never mud bath my Baer on purpose I do EDC it and in a past life carried it in some damn salty/dusty places, albeit as a soft aviator type not a true carnivore;)

Reason i carried it and not a more utilitarian pistol was it was the MOST Accurate and RELIABLE semi auto I own. I have faith in it that IF i were to abuse it, it would have as good a chance as ANY semi - auto of still delivering rounds. in that sense I did not care what it cost, if I screwed up doing my real job and had to become a ground pounder I wanted the best damn gun I could have in my hands (Of course it was a sidearm, primary was M4 or MP5 bene of not being a jet jock is we had room for more "survival" gear).

Vickers did some interesting torture tests on 1911s and found out that "Custom" well made tight guns were more reliable in sand than looser guns. Aparently grit would get into the mechanisms causing malfunctions and the tighter toleranced guns apparently had less room for the grit to enter the workings.

I by no means am trying to sound like a 1911 snob, I saved for a while to get mine and my second favorite is a beat up 70 series Government model that while worth a bit now was as plain jane as imaginable when new. It runs good, hits what I point it at within my skills and has earned my trust, not because it is a Colt but because it is proven. Oh and your belief in Springfield is well supported, both the FBI HRT and USMC MARSOC guys use or have used a Springer based gun, though theirs were tuned up a bit :D

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Of the Springfield armory, I'm looking at the micro-compact, ultra-compact, and champion...anybody had experiences with all three? which of those three would probably be best to carry?

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I'd vote for the Champion... Commander length is not too much harder to conceal and in THEORY should be more reliable than a shorter gun (Disclaimer I am NOT berating short 1911's). Better sight radius, little more accurate, little easier to control, just my:twocents:

sure the springer guys will have better advice for you.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'd vote for the Champion... Commander length is not too much harder to conceal and in THEORY should be more reliable than a shorter gun (Disclaimer I am NOT berating short 1911's). Better sight radius, little more accurate, little easier to control, just my:twocents:

sure the springer guys will have better advice for you.

I really don't like big guns as a carry piece, but 4" limit on the barral is good for me. I really want a 45 acp, even if it hold less rounds and I'm not a big fan of fat handles. I like the way my p345 felt in my hand but never measured it and compared to a 1911.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Best darn 1911 I had was a Norinco 1911a1. Super hard steel and nearly impossible to scratch. Great reliable gun and cheap enough there were no worries about it getting dirty.....:D Can be upgraded as far as any race gun if that is what you like. Biggest regret I have is that I sold it. Great...... now I think I need one again :rolleyes:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have 4 1911s and the only issue I had was with my Springfield. Even that one has performed flawlessly since it got new springs and mags. Both of my Kimbers have been great right out of the box and even the Rock Compact has been as reliable as they come. The only mods I've done are grips on all of them and regular cleaning and maintenance. The Rock got a new mainspring at 400 rounds. The Springer round count is unknown, but since getting new springs, it's been great. Everything gets cleaned after every trip to the range and they all get wiped down regularly.

Good luck in the quest for a new 1911. I have a bunch of guns I like, but the 1911s are the ones I love.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    While I would never mud bath my Baer on purpose I do EDC it and in a past life carried it in some damn salty/dusty places, albeit as a soft aviator type not a true carnivore;)

Reason i carried it and not a more utilitarian pistol was it was the MOST Accurate and RELIABLE semi auto I own. I have faith in it that IF i were to abuse it, it would have as good a chance as ANY semi - auto of still delivering rounds. in that sense I did not care what it cost, if I screwed up doing my real job and had to become a ground pounder I wanted the best damn gun I could have in my hands (Of course it was a sidearm, primary was M4 or MP5 bene of not being a jet jock is we had room for more "survival" gear).

When I was visiting Nighthawk Custom the one thing they stressed to me was "use your pistol". It was made to function well and performs best when shot regularly. Like the quote above if I really NEED my pistol I want the best, most reliable piece of equipment I own in my hand. :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think people are hung up on the 1911 because it indicates a loyalty to the American Spirit. My thoughts are it is not a reliable weapon. It was reliable for its time but you dont want to be nostalgic in a gunfight. I would get a Glock. Yeah, they may be non-sexy(i think they are cool), but they are 100% reliability. Just above accuracy, reliability is what you want in a handgun. All your fine motor skills shut down when your life is at risk. You need something reliable, accurate, simple, and ergonomic. This adds up to a Glock. New Technology that can take a beating and never miss a beat. They are the best and I would stack them up to my Grandfather's 1911 anyday of the weak. Yes, I would want one but if I could carry only one gun it would be a Glock.

Problem is, what you posted is propaganda, marketing hype, not fact. For example, Glock is NOT 100%. I've owned two. One of them couldn't go more than 50 rounds without a malfunction. Others have had multiple malfunctions, some police departments have had so many they've gone to different guns. Not all the much mentioned Glock kabooms have involved reloaded ammo, there are plenty of instances of it happening with factory ammo.

IOW... Glocks are fine guns. But despite the hysterical nonsense spewed forth by some of their more rabid fans (many of whom have no appreciable experience with guns other than Glocks,) they aren't better firearms than many others on the market today. Including 1911s.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I think people are hung up on the 1911 because it indicates a loyalty to the American Spirit. My thoughts are it is not a reliable weapon. It was reliable for its time but you dont want to be nostalgic in a gunfight. I would get a Glock. Yeah, they may be non-sexy(i think they are cool), but they are 100% reliability. Just above accuracy, reliability is what you want in a handgun. All your fine motor skills shut down when your life is at risk. You need something reliable, accurate, simple, and ergonomic. This adds up to a Glock. New Technology that can take a beating and never miss a beat. They are the best and I would stack them up to my Grandfather's 1911 anyday of the weak. Yes, I would want one but if I could carry only one gun it would be a Glock.

Your Glock probably is more reliable than your grandfather's 1911. But so are the 1911's made today.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think alot of folks who are down on 1911's probably had a bad experience with either a less than great manufacturer, a badly smithed gun, or bad magazines. I personally had the first 2 experiences many years ago and it put a bad taste in my mouth for 1911's. I may have to try one again someday, but there's a lot of other stuff on my limited funds list as well.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    "They don't build 'em like they used to" refers to more than just cars. Is there really any doubt modern materials and manufacturing methods have made today's firearms better in every respect?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really don't like big guns as a carry piece, but 4" limit on the barral is good for me. I really want a 45 acp, even if it hold less rounds and I'm not a big fan of fat handles. I like the way my p345 felt in my hand but never measured it and compared to a 1911.

I feel the same way with not going below a 4" barrel. I have found that the grip length makes more of a difference printing than the barrel length does.

I have a Springfield Government and a Kimber CDPII Pro 4.25" barrel. Both are reliable and the Kimber is light which is nice for carrying. The 1911 is definitely thin. If I could conceal it easier I would carry my CZ 97b, but it is big.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I feel the same way with not going below a 4" barrel. I have found that the grip length makes more of a difference printing than the barrel length does.

I have a Springfield Government and a Kimber CDPII Pro 4.25" barrel. Both are reliable and the Kimber is light which is nice for carrying. The 1911 is definitely thin. If I could conceal it easier I would carry my CZ 97b, but it is big.

A lot of 1911's feels like glocks in my hands....big fat handle, I don't like that.

Top Bottom