Connersville Police Chief shoots himself in gun store. FOX 59 Investigates!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Clothing in trigger guard or finger? Hmm.

When I am in uniform it is easy to keep my shirt out of my holster because it is tucked in. During range qualifications we are required to do an "off-duty" qual where our handgun is concealed by whatever outer garment we happen to be wearing whether it be t-shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, etc. I can see how it is possible to get an untucked outer garment caught in the holster while re-holstering, but luckily I have not experienced any unintended consequences from doing so. I'm not saying that the chief didn't put his finger on the trigger, but based on my personal experience I can see where it is possible to get clothing caught in the holster.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Has that been on already? I thought it was advertised for this next Thursday?

Clothing in trigger guard or finger? Hmm.
    i saw it advertised last night, but I didn't catch a time or say when it was going to be on. I don't get to watch them anyway, I can't stay up that late during the week.

Clothes or finger, I don't know, either would be easy enough to do, I've said it once and I'll say it again, the best safety is between our ears!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It was clothing in the trigger guard from sources online, and he took full responsibility for it instead of trying to pawn it off. Can't fault the guy on fessing up, he admitted he should have known better.

I've yet to shoot myself with a Glock (or anything else) yet, but it goes back to why is the safety on the trigger?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The Channel 6 investigation should be about how dangerous it is to be around the Connersville PD Chief. As already mentioned here and in the previous thread, it's the second time he's shot himself! Considering the thousands of people who carry Glocks at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year without unintentionally shooting themselves or somebody else in Indiana alone, the conclusion is unavoidable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Channel 6 investigation should be about how dangerous it is to be around the Connersville PD Chief. As already mentioned here and in the previous thread, it's the second time he's shot himself! Considering the thousands of people who carry Glocks at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year without unintentionally shooting themselves or somebody else in Indiana alone, the conclusion is unavoidable.

That everyone should carry Sigs?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think the investigation is more focused on why they don't have safeties on these and similar guns. Just because he's a cop doesn't mean he's immune from mistakes. In fact the odds of having an ND are probably higher for officers considering they probably handle their firearms a lot more than the average LTCH holder, which also leads to complacency, which can be cured by using the safety between our ears!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    something something booger hook something something bang-switch..................seriously how hard is it?

Booger hook, bang-switch? You have been listening to INGO's beloved monkey, haven't you?

When I am in uniform it is easy to keep my shirt out of my holster because it is tucked in. During range qualifications we are required to do an "off-duty" qual where our handgun is concealed by whatever outer garment we happen to be wearing whether it be t-shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, etc. I can see how it is possible to get an untucked outer garment caught in the holster while re-holstering, but luckily I have not experienced any unintended consequences from doing so. I'm not saying that the chief didn't put his finger on the trigger, but based on my personal experience I can see where it is possible to get clothing caught in the holster.

Fair treatment is always a good thing, and something which you generally do well. As a non-Glock person, this definitely adds to my understanding beyond sharing BBI's position regarding the safety on the face of the trigger being redundant.

It was clothing in the trigger guard from sources online, and he took full responsibility for it instead of trying to pawn it off. Can't fault the guy on fessing up, he admitted he should have known better.

I've yet to shoot myself with a Glock (or anything else) yet, but it goes back to why is the safety on the trigger?

I will agree that the candor is refreshing, and I also agree with you completely regarding the placement of the safety. Aside from shaking my head and moving on, I never really thought about it much, but as I do tonight, it seems that perhaps the reason for it is to that Glock's lawyer can argue that the gun does in fact have a mechanical safety, thus the manufacturer did what it could to protect the gun and others from stupid owner syndrome.

That everyone should carry Sigs?

No, 1911s.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I love how the sheriff says it was purely his fault and that he needs to pay attention (very respectable) AND THEN the mayor says it's the bad design of the gun... :rofl:

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The more I think about it, the more a sheriff who takes personal responsibility seems more valuable than a sheriff who is a master gun handler.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I would certainly say it was my cover garment if I was an officer who holstered my gun with finger on the trigger. ;) Otherwise, I might appear incompetent, right?

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    The original story might be a dupe, but he is saying that the media has grabbed this and is trying to twist it. I saw the same thing on ch 6 tonight, the investigative reporter is going to do a story about how unsafe the Glock is and that no one knows about it.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Was just thinking. Why is he holstering his loaded gun at the counter. Why did he unholster his loaded gun in the gun store?

Top Bottom