• Total voters

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's a free country, and people should be able to display a confederate flag if they please. I'm also free to have the opinion that anyone flying that flag is not a friend of mine and not someone that I'd ever associate with.
    Agreed.
    That flag, like it or not, has racial connotations.
    Also, agreed. For some maybe the connection isn't there.

Not only that, the South lost that war. You don't see the Nazi flag being flown in Germany by people wanting to display their heritage. When you lose, your flag should be abolished.

I have to disagree on this.

There was no nobility, culture or history with Naziism. It was a dark, dark smudge on the German people - one they desperately want to forget, yet know they must never forget it. Naziism rose and fell relatively quickly and for the most part revolved around one man.

The CSA, however is much more complex and not nearly as evil. It's history and lead up is far longer and the roots of it origins are far deeper and more spread out.

I think like every internet comparison, it's unfair to compare this to Naziism. That's why I didn't mention it in my post.

They both ultimately failed on the battlefield. That's about as far as you can take the analogy.

Any flag of the CSA should be flown in limited capacity and in an environment of remembrance - e.g. a cemetery or a memorial. Definately not in a front yard, the back of a pickup truck or a position of authority like a capital building. Doubly so given the fact that the "flag was lowered" some 150 years ago.

EDIT: Tripply so for flying the flag outside of former CSA territory.

I'm trying to think of a good comparison, and the best I can come up with is flying the flag of Rhodesia. It's a failed state, it was centered around moral evils, it's no where near us, none of us were there...

Did Genghis Khan have a flag? The Canaanites?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Lol, yeah not so much. I'm actually kinda sad the flag has been completely vilified. That's not something I wished to happen. It is still a big part of the heritage of a number of Americans.

I thinks its a clear case where one group has abrogated a symbol of others. In other words, a few bad apples spoiled the barrel.

Unfortunately, no one has a trademark or copyright and and can sue for misuse.

I fear the waters will only get muddier. Now we have INGO'ers (a microcosm of America) that want the flag flying simply because others don't want it flying. Seems the the best way to get the INGO horse drink is for someone in the gov't to want them to keep out of the stream.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I thinks its a clear case where one group has abrogated a symbol of others. In other words, a few bad apples spoiled the barrel.

I fear the waters will only get muddier. Now we have INGO'ers (a microcosm of America) that want the flag flying simply because others don't want it flying. Seems the the best way to get the INGO horse drink is for someone in the gov't to want them to keep out of the stream.

I find that troubling.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I fear the waters will only get muddier. Now we have INGO'ers (a microcosm of America) that want the flag flying simply because others don't want it flying. Seems the the best way to get the INGO horse drink is for someone in the gov't to want them to keep out of the stream.

Over the years, many a crazed racist has thought they'd do something "majestic" to light off the "race war" they've been hoping for all these years.

Then the people they expect to take up their cause have a tendency to sit back and say something like: "I'm just here to talk ****, not to actually do​ anything. That guy's a nut."

Hmmm

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The only reason people think the flag should be taken down is because others want it flying? Really?

That and the "perceived" racism of it.

Maybe its just me..... when I see that flag, the first thing that pops in my head "Southern hillbilly" not "that dudes a racist".... But then again, I grew up in the south, so maybe I just have a different outlook.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That and the "perceived" racism of it

Any individual may fly it for any number of reasons, racist or not. I'm all for that freedom. With the freedom, however, come the freedom of others to assess who you are based upon the symbols you choose to display.

...the racism behind the history of that flag, very clear.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    First thing that pops into my head is "racist."

Wonder why I never see a black person flying that flag if it's all about Southern pride.....

That and the "perceived" racism of it.

Maybe its just me..... when I see that flag, the first thing that pops in my head "Southern hillbilly" not "that dudes a racist".... But then again, I grew up in the south, so maybe I just have a different outlook.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Wonder why I never see a black person flying that flag if it's all about Southern pride.....

h_k_edgerton_5.jpg

battle_flag_xlarge.jpeg

shid.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Actually, there is an organization dedicated to preserving the history of the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia whose leader is (or was) a black man. I saw him interviewed on television a few years ago. Feel free to google to learn more, but I can't remember the names.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

As I said, it's a response to those who are going ape**** over something they didn't think they needed to go ape**** over a week ago. This pile-on shaming ritual that America thinks is the right way to get things done is getting to be a problem. It is more divisive than helpful.

And a way to try to stand up and say, "this is ****ing ridiculous" is to fly that damn flag as a giant middle finger.

And, by the way, it's not about government, really. It's about the phony activists who want to be seen while being progressive.

I find that troubling.

I find the shame industrial complex troubling. I think it's one of the problems with social media. Makes it easy for phony activists to be seen pretending to care, when if they really cared, they'd have been protesting it a week ago instead of joining the pile-on during a "crisis".

The only reason people think the flag should be taken down is because others want it flying? Really?

Not in those words, no.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I don't have a dog in that fight - unless we're talking about the fight not to have a society that bans all the things, including free speech, symbols, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not referring to any individuals on INGO, but I find people being offended and outraged on the behalf of others more offensive than what is often labeled "racism" in 2015.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    ..and some black people owned slaves. What's your point?
    Per Wiki--African American history and culture scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. wrote: "...the percentage of free black slave owners as the total number of free black heads of families was quite high in several states, namely 43 percent in South Carolina, 40 percent in Louisiana, 26 percent in Mississippi, 25 percent in Alabama and 20 percent in Georgia

Top Bottom