• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I have a 25x45 gravel driveway that I want to concrete. Prep will take minimal gravel addition on spots, tire resting spots. And I was hoping for at least 4 inches thick or 5 if my wallet can go that deep. Anyone have a guesstimate of the material minus any gravel I need and labor for a job of this size?

Existing drive has been gravel since 61.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Your dimensions equal 13.9 (14) yards of concrete for 4”, or 17.5 yards for 5”. Last time I priced concrete, a while ago, was $100/yd. No idea the going price now or in your area. Labor is for someone other than me to give you an idea on cost.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most places also demand a minimum purchase of 2.5-3 yards for a truck delivery.
    Anything less is still a minimum charge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And watch for minimums. I tried to quote mine 10+ years ago when a similar drive would have cost about $2400. (contractor admitted it) But he said he doesnt roll a truck until the job is at least $5000. So no matter what the job is going to cost 5k. If I can find more for him to do like sidewalks and such, widening it, etc. Its going to always cost 5k until it gets big enough to cost more.

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    I'd really like to tear out my asphalt drive that is beginning to break apart on the edges, but the price of concrete makes me realize that I can live with what I have for a long time.
    Same here. I probably should burn the weeds growing in the cracks and seal it before winter though.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Your dimensions equal 13.9 (14) yards of concrete for 4”, or 17.5 yards for 5”. Last time I priced concrete, a while ago, was $100/yd. No idea the going price now or in your area. Labor is for someone other than me to give you an idea on cost.
    I will second your numbers on the amount. Is has been a few years since I ordered concrete. It was closer to $125 a yard. I did my own drive. I leveled and set up the forms and then found friends. I did not use mesh or fiberglass. A few weak spots where ground was soft. But it was expected. I poured about 110 yards. Not at once.

It was interesting. I am not a pro by any means, and my buddies were willing to help, but had no clue.

If you are interested, you might look at a big place that does concrete work. They will pass on the little job, but ask if their guys want to make a couple bucks.

BTW some people are scared at the price of concrete, but they do not even get quotes. My neighbor did theirs in asphalt a few years ago. They already had it sealed 3 times and starting to cry over the cost of sealing it professionally.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'd really like to tear out my asphalt drive that is beginning to break apart on the edges, but the price of concrete makes me realize that I can live with what I have for a long time.
    In your situation, why not cut out 6' sections and mix n pour your own..sections at a time over a period of weeks. You'd be surprised how fast and low cost it is to do a 3 2 1 mixture. Sand and media gravel is cheap and the Portland cement isnt alot to buy. Borrow or buy a cement mixer for less than $100.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    In your situation, why not cut out 6' sections and mix n pour your own..sections at a time over a period of weeks. You'd be surprised how fast and low cost it is to do a 3 2 1 mixture. Sand and media gravel is cheap and the Portland cement isnt alot to buy. Borrow or buy a cement mixer for less than $100.
    That is rough to do that much by hand. For me being cheap. I would do it in 2 pours of 12.5 by 45, and call out the spinning truck. Sweet to have a friend with the tools and a bit of know how.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    That is rough to do that much by hand. For me being cheap. I would do it in 2 pours of 12.5 by 45, and call out the spinning truck. Sweet to have a friend with the tools and a bit of know how.
    Actually, it's not. Sounds like alot, but when you do it in sections, it's simple.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Actually, it's not. Sounds like alot, but when you do it in sections, it's simple.
    Maybe you are more ambitious than I am right now. How many sq ft do you do at a time? I did a 4x5 area a couple months ago with a mixer and it wasn't to bad. I did about an 8 by 9 with the kids (adult kids) last summer and took some work.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I did a 7x4 5" thick in polebuilding for the compressor and torches. 2 years ago and 2 years before that, i put a french drain in the basement and did 18"x about 85ft long in total 6" thick. Spent 2 days doing that with a bad back. Had to take mixer apart in 3 sections to get in basement. Carrying the gravel and limestone down the stairs took its toll on me. I used the sand i dug out of the trenches. Polebuilding was a piece of cake. That's why i said to do sections at a time. I was very happy with what i accomplished.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    BTW some people are scared at the price of concrete, but they do not even get quotes. My neighbor did theirs in asphalt a few years ago. They already had it sealed 3 times and starting to cry over the cost of sealing it professionally.
    How big is their drive? A reasonable drive is easy to seal yourself with a couple 5 gallon buckets, rubber boots, and maybe $40 in squeegees and brushes.

Its not much harder than painting.

Top Bottom