• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I'm still waiting on my LTCH, but I was wondering on the mindset of those living around the area about CC.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Really "conceal" and others mindset is of little importance. Those of a similar mindset will appreciate the fact that you carry. As I do. Those opposed won't and will give you a hard time about it.

But if you successfully conceal carry, nobody knows and you and your family are protected without the harassment from others, either positive or negative.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    CC or OC, whatever you are comfortable with :). If you're concealing fully, then it's doubtful anybody, except those who know you, will know that you're carrying.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    i'm planning on concealed, but inside the waistband. i could really care less what other people think, but i want to avoid being hassled everywhere.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    i'm planning on concealed, but inside the waistband. i could really care less what other people think, but i want to avoid being hassled everywhere.
    I've never been hassled and have been OC'ing for a while now, but I won't criticize you for your decision. You need to carry however you feel most comfortable.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I've never been hassled and have been OC'ing for a while now, but I won't criticize you for your decision. You need to carry however you feel most comfortable.

I'll start with concealing, but after I become a little more comfortable with carrying in it's entirety, I'll revisit the concealed vs open carry scenario. What's your everyday carry?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'll start with concealing, but after I become a little more comfortable with carrying in it's entirety, I'll revisit the concealed vs open carry scenario.
    I started OC immediately just because it was more comfortable, and I didn't find myself constantly wondering if somebody knew what it was, that it was there, etc... I also found myself working on my situational awareness while carrying as at first I watched to see if anybody noticed. That turned into my everyday situational awareness in that I keep track of where those around me are, and what they are doing.

What's your everyday carry?
    Depends on what I'm doing. Any day I am on the motorcycle, or will be on the motorcycle, it's an XDm-9mm 3.8 - if I lay down the bike and wreck the gun - it's cheap to replace, and easy to find.

Any other day it's a Sig Saur p226 Black Elite 9mm - I love this gun and would be irritated at best finding a replacement... Plus, for it's price I could get two XDm's. My Sig is on my hip at this very moment.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Any other day it's a Sig Saur p226 Black Elite 9mm -
    Nice. I will be using an Armscor 1911 .45. I know, I know, Philipino made guns; but I've got around 600-700 rds through it and after replacing the crappy mags it came with, i've had NO problems and trust for everyday carry. I actually really love this gun!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Nice. I will be using an Armscor 1911 .45. I know, I know, Philipino made guns; but I've got around 600-700 rds through it and after replacing the crappy mags it came with, i've had NO problems and trust for everyday carry. I actually really love this gun!
    As long as it works for you, and you trust it, go with it. May just want to look into common issues to be aware of.

I shot a LOT of handguns before settling on my Sig p226 Dark Elite. Originally had a .40 but moved to a .9 for the increased capacity and more plentiful/cheaper rounds for the range.

I do really like the Kimber TLR 1911 though, it's on my list.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Haven't had the chance to shoot any other 1911 style pistols, but I fell in love with Ruger's 1911...Sadly, they are no where to be found and my funds are running dangerously low from all the .45 and 9mm ammo i've had to buy in the past few months. My wife will CC her Ruger LC9 after she gets her permit too.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Haven't had the chance to shoot any other 1911 style pistols, but I fell in love with Ruger's 1911...Sadly, they are no where to be found and my funds are running dangerously low from all the .45 and 9mm ammo i've had to buy in the past few months. My wife will CC her Ruger LC9 after she gets her permit too.
    There are a few ranges that rent guns reasonably for use on their ranges.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    which ones specifically? what are normal prices to rent?
    Pop's Guns (or now, Family Indoor Shooting Range, I think... Still inside of Pop's Guns) on the east side. Pay $7 I believe and use as many of the guns as you wish but you have to buy their ammo. Then there is what they charge for the hour, I forget, but it's not too terribly bad.

Indy Trading Post on the south side has a good selection of rentals and a pretty nice range as well (indoor as well). Their rental fees are reasonable but I don't remember off-hand.

ITP is where I go to shoot when I don't go all the way down to Atterbury.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There are a few ranges that rent guns reasonably for use on their ranges.

which ones specifically? what are normal prices to rent?

Pop's Guns (or now, Family Indoor Shooting Range, I think... Still inside of Pop's Guns) on the east side.

Indy Trading Post on the south side

ITP is where I go to shoot
    That's in Indy... the OP is Ft.Wayne. No gun rental ranges around here.
    However, there just so happens to be a monkey with half a dozen 1911s that doesn't mind sharing trigger time. Incidentally, said monkey has OC'd & CC'd a Philippine-made 1911, too. ;)

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN

I was worried about being hassled when I first started to OC but now I wonder what I was worried about.
    So far the few times anybody has even noticed. It has all been positive interactions.
    I still don't OC 100% of the time but I do OC alot more now.
    Even the people that don't like people carrying. Usually don't say anything.
    Just make sure you know all the laws and your rights.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    1. Ft. Wayne isn't that far away and 2. They didn't ask if I knew of any local to them (the answer would be no).

:)

1. That depends on your personal opinion of "far".
    2. Since the title of the thread says "...in Ft Wayne", I figured it might be a good idea to say the places mentioned weren't *there*.

Play through.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    1. That depends on your personal opinion of "far".
    I suppose, but I drive quite a bit so it's not a huge deal to me I guess.

2. Since the title of the thread says "...in Ft Wayne", I figured it might be a good idea to say the places mentioned weren't *there*.
    Presuming that they didn't know where these locations were already, I assumed they would figure it out when they Google'd it. If they did know, and were just unaware about being able to rent the guns, then the end result is about the same.

I.e. I'm giving them a bit of credit in assuming that they can figure some of this out on their own :).

Don't mind me though, I haven't slept yet (long story) so I'm probably being a bit overly-defensive and crabby.

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I'll start with concealing, but after I become a little more comfortable with carrying in it's entirety, I'll revisit the concealed vs open carry scenario. What's your everyday carry?

This was my approach as well. Started out CCing a Ruger LCP, which is really easy to make disappear. Unless I'm wearing a very close-fitting shirt, it disappears even with an OWB Fobus Evolution paddle holster.

Later moved on to CCing an LC9, but now I make a call as to which gun to carry and how to carry it based on what I'll be wearing and where I am going to be. During the day, CC. At home, always OC. Out and about, mostly OC, but not always. Like others have said, do whatever you are most comfortable with in the situation.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    However, there just so happens to be a monkey with half a dozen 1911s that doesn't mind sharing trigger time. Incidentally, said monkey has OC'd & CC'd a Philippine-made 1911, too. ;)

sounds like a range session is in order! BTW, i don't mind driving to get a good deal on a gun, BUT, just to shoot may be a different story. I do appreciate the help though. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom