• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I say go with a tuckable iwb holster. I just went to a wedding last night. Dress pants and a fitted shirt tucked in. My 1911 commander at 5 clock. I am 5'6" 130lb. I wear nothing baggy. No one noticed besides a few friends who felt the gun during hugs. All that was said was "right on" and " I had no idea". I even danced all night as well as got drunk.

It's not that hard to conceal
    Just FYI (may have some folks here new to carrying), the work around for the 'hug' thing is to hug with the 'gun side' hand down, going around THEIR waist, and the 'off hand' up and around their shoulder.

Extend your 'strong hand' harm out only enough to reach around their waist. This keeps your elbow in, over your sidearm. The 'natural' reaction from folks is to then reach around your waist on the 'off hand' side.

This might feel a bit awkward at first, but it'll soon become a natural movement. To counter them wanting to hug the other way (hence, feeling your gun), always extend YOUR arms first. This not only subconsciously 'forces' them to hug 'your' way, it gives the appearance that you're the more 'open and gregarious' of the two parties, a likeable guy.

No 'lecture' on the drinking aspect. Drinking or not, one is just as accountable for their actions. For those who might opine they wouldn't 'trust' themselves carrying a gun whilst drinking, I would counter, then they probably aren't all that trustworthy with one when stone sober, either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Maximinus Thrax, The only holsters i currently have are Fobus paddle holsters, as i carry often in the deer woods, or just when out and about in the field (shed hunting, mushroom hunting, etc., easily concealed under a hooded sweat shirt or similar large shirt).

I have a Ruger LC9 and also a Ruger LCP of which they are both outfit with a "Techno-Clip". Both are easily concealed, but sometimes in the summer, or warmer weather i worry about condensation or sweat.

I haven't taken the plunge as i was obviously looking for info on investing more money in a good holster. Thus the post.

eek: Techna Clip... A good holster and belt combo should cover the trigger.

Leather will be softer on the skin but if you're wearing an undershirt then an all kydex holster will probably feel just fine. A lot of people wear them with no complaints.

Based on what you've read are you leaning in any particular direction?

*snip*
    No 'lecture' on the drinking aspect. Drinking or not, one is just as accountable for their actions. For those who might opine they wouldn't 'trust' themselves carrying a gun whilst drinking, I would counter, then they probably aren't all that trustworthy with one when stone sober, either.

Absolutely correct, drunk or not we should all be held accountable for our actions...and the rounds that leave our firearms. Nothing was said about 'trust'. How's your aim under stress? How's your aim drunk AND under stress? Now add a crowded wedding reception to the mix and you start to see where I'm coming from. Drunk or not, you are responsible for what/WHO you hit, intended target or otherwise. I'd rather not inhibit my skills by adding 'drunk' to the already complicated cocktail.

You do whatever you want, just don't assume it boils down to "trust" when someone makes a statement like mine.

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    Dress wear for me has always been a suit jacket, in which case I switch to a shoulder holster.

In the case of hugs, always be the one who hugs low, forcing a high hug, typically over the weapon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just FYI (may have some folks here new to carrying), the work around for the 'hug' thing is to hug with the 'gun side' hand down, going around THEIR waist, and the 'off hand' up and around their shoulder.

Extend your 'strong hand' harm out only enough to reach around their waist. This keeps your elbow in, over your sidearm. The 'natural' reaction from folks is to then reach around your waist on the 'off hand' side.

This might feel a bit awkward at first, but it'll soon become a natural movement. To counter them wanting to hug the other way (hence, feeling your gun), always extend YOUR arms first. This not only subconsciously 'forces' them to hug 'your' way, it gives the appearance that you're the more 'open and gregarious' of the two parties, a likeable guy.

THIS on the hugging. I went to church today and visited the church I grew up in. (with my G19 9at the 7 oclock (IWB) under my sportcoat) Needless to say there were lots of hugs from those who helped raise me. I told Mrs. Monkey after we got in the car it was like a game... "control the hug, protect the pistol." :):

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I use an alien gear for my ppq, and tuck my dress shirt over it. I had someone ask what the clips were one time. If people know, they don't say anything. If I have a jacket on, I don't bother with tucking. One thing I like about the alien gear, is that the clips are so far apart, they make belt choice a little less critical, IMO. If I wear a jacket with a more slender cut, I'll move the holster around to 5:00, and you can't tell at all. I carry every Sunday. As the Pastor, I figure a good shepherd has to be prepared for the occasional wolf. Haven't had any come around, thank goodness.

I have a tuckable AlienGear as well for my Shield and no one has seen it yet. I try to make sure that my shirt is untucked enough that it mostly covers the clips. I have mine at around 4:00-5:00. I'm usually just wearing a dress shirt and dress pants. When I do wear a suit it's the same setup. I thought maybe I could go OWB but it wouldn't work for me, too risky.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to try to work on that. Only problem is... (see below)

In the case of hugs, always be the one who hugs low, forcing a high hug, typically over the weapon.

This is hard for me since I'm 6' 4", and I pretty much have to go high. But I'll work on it!

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I carry my Lcp in a uncle Georges rear pocket holster whenever I am in dress clothes and a lot of the time when in regular pants, It drops right in and is easy to forget about.
    Uncle Georges Wallet Holsters

As far as the hug thing I recommend when you see someone coming toward you that might be a hugger, the first thing is to move your arms low to your sides, then do your best Clint Eastwood / Dirty Harry face. I find this to stop all but the most determined huggers.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    +1 to an IWB - tuckable, if you want to be able to unbutton/remove your jacket. And also +1 to getting a proper belt. I've carried this way several times, with zero issues whatsoever.

Just be aware that height and cant can be a factor, if your suit is tailored with a higher waistline than you normally wear with jeans/slacks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wear a mix of an OWB and IWB.

If your wearing a suit and tie, open carry without the jacket becomes a lot more acceptable to sheep than if your in cargo pants and a ratty T shirt.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Alas, this is a timely topic for rhino. He has allowed himself to be hornswoggled into attending an event that requires attire absent from his wardrobe for decades.

Question for the group: the only non-nylon belt I have is my Daltech Force Super BioBelt. Is it adequate for "dress"/non-casual wear (gray pants, white shirt, etc)? Or do I need something more appropriate? Or maybe just a subdued buckle?

Oy! Too complicated!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Alas, this is a timely topic for rhino. He has allowed himself to be hornswoggled into attending an event that requires attire absent from his wardrobe for decades.

Question for the group: the only non-nylon belt I have is my Daltech Force Super BioBelt. Is it adequate for "dress"/non-casual wear (gray pants, white shirt, etc)? Or do I need something more appropriate? Or maybe just a subdued buckle?

Oy! Too complicated!

I've seen the belt on their site. I wouldn't hesitate to rock it with a suit.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I find carrying in a suit easier than carrying in summer clothing. You should have many options here. What exactly are you trying to carry?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Oy! Too complicated!
    I rock the Bio-Belt all the time in a shirt and tie, and have in a suit as well without feeling under-dressed. The question is, do you have the right suspenders for the occasion?

Professional chez:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen the belt on their site. I wouldn't hesitate to rock it with a suit.

Thank you, sir!

I rock the Bio-Belt all the time in a shirt and tie, and have in a suit as well without feeling under-dressed. The question is, do you have the right suspenders for the occasion?

Professional chez:

Thank you, sir!

I will be getting some suspenders and have buttons attached inside the waistband for them.

Don't know if I'll go with the suit jacket or not. This will be June and I don't do well in heat.

Where did you buy your suits, by the way? I need to go shopping. UGH.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I just used my 1.5 inch leather dress belt. It is not a gun belt but it was adequate. As far as hugging my friends. I don't care if they find out. I was wearing my alien gear 1911 commander holster with black pants and a black belt. The clips were not really noticeable to me. They were invisible to everyone else. With the fitted clothes I wear having the gun 3-4 clock showed too much of a bulge. Bringing it back tucking it high and tight made the full size gun disappear even in fitted clothes.

As far as I know drinking while carrying is not against the law. I am a an adult and I can hold my own sober or drunk. If one cannot control themselves while drinking than they shouldn't carry sober. Just my opinion.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Most dress belts are thinner. Suit pants are also not real stiff and print very easily, not to mention snag. If I have a sportcoat on, it's a shoulder holster all day long.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    THIS on the hugging. I went to church today and visited the church I grew up in. (with my G19 9at the 7 oclock (IWB) under my sportcoat) Needless to say there were lots of hugs from those who helped raise me. I told Mrs. Monkey after we got in the car it was like a game... "control the hug, protect the pistol." :):

I would go to certain church functions and have a bunch of people get a feel of my gun... Usually post hug when they drop there hand it seemed. I switched to appendix and it's not so bad really ever. If they are that close where I can't keep my hips out of it then there are probably other things to worry about :):

Top Bottom