• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I carry a .45 M&P during the winter and 9mm PF9 during the summer. I've been looking at single stack .45s for the summer months.

I'm hoping S&W will rerelease a S&W 457 as a M&p Shield .45

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I like the XD40sc but I like the Glock 27 better. The Glock 30 or 36 would also be a good choice. I had a 30sf that had problems but I think I just got a lemon. 1911's are a good choice too but they are heavy compared to the XD.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am trying to find a .40 or a .45 that is a good size to conceal carry... any suggestions? I don't want a revolver.

I'm here in Ft Wayne and have a few you can handle or shoot if you want. I have:

HK45C - .45ACP
    Springfield Micro Compact - .45ACP
    Beretta PX4 Sub Compact in .40 S&W

My EDC is the HK45C and I carry IWB at 4:00

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When I do choose to conceal, I don't have a problem concealing my 1911s and I'm not a big guy. I'm 5-9, 180lbs. In cooler weather I use a OWB belt holster with a sweatshirt or jersey over it. For warmer weather and lighter weight clothes I'll use a IWB holster under my shirt. I find if I wear the IWB holster a little further back on my hip (about 4 o'clock position) it doesn't seem to print bad at all because the handle is flat against the rear of my ribs / kidney area and a loose fitting shirt hides it quite nicely.

I think the concealability of a larger piece like a 1911 has a LOT to do with the holster you're using. For a OWB belt holster I use a GALCO "concealable" hoslter ("concealable" is Galco's model name). For an IWB I use a Galco V-Hawk. These holsters keep the gun tight against your body and minimize printing. Makes a big difference.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have an XD-45 compact that I can conceal just fine. Uses a 10 rd compact mag, and also has a 13 rd service mag. Personally I see the XDm-45 3.8 compact as a bit of a downgrade from what I have, since it carries only 9 instead of 10 rds.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Personally, I like my new Sig P250, for a few reasons:
    1) Its a Sig, and the warranty stays with the gun, making used guns more appealing.
    2) Its modular, so you can change it around as your needs change. I have it in a 9mm subcompact, but with an extra compact frame. You can get the conversion kit for multiple calibers and switch them in and out as needed, allowing you to shoot 9mm for target or plinking, and .40 S&W for personal protection.
    3) The subcompact model mag holds 12 rounds, and the compact holds 15. Not bad for a smaller gun.

Just a thought, might be worth checking out.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I OC/CC an XD 45 Service. I typically don't have any trouble CC with my DeSantis Mini Slide with thumb strap. Comfortable holster that rides high and tight to the body. Never a big fan of the paddle holster they come with.

fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Colt Commander for me. I OC most of the time though. I saw a pretty nice looking ATI subcompact 1911 in .45 today at the LGS. They wanted $100.00 too much for it, but it was very slim and would be easily concealable.

:twocents:

The wife's XDsc in 9mm conceals easily as well. We picked it up new for a used Glock 19 and a fifty dollar bill. ($400.00 + tax out the door).

The XD holster it came with tends to "fall away" from my side. Probably due to the HUGE belt loops on the thing. I imagine with a wider belt it would stay more against my waist...

That is the same problem that I was having, the gun is so large and heavy, and the look was to big for the belt so it was falling away from my side making it stick out to much and a kind of awkward feeling.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    That is the same problem that I was having, the gun is so large and heavy, and the look was to big for the belt so it was falling away from my side making it stick out to much and a kind of awkward feeling.

So the problem was that you have the wrong belt/holster.

Top Bottom