Complacency, Ohio instructor shoots a student in the arm...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Unpossible. I know from the Internet:

1. That guns are completely safe and can be waved about with complete impunity.

2. You cannot have an ND with a revolver.

3. The Four Rules are outdated and the new hotness is to put people at risk of harm because the world is not a square range . . . or something.

My question: did he think he had a blue gun? I betcha he did think he had a blue gun and that it was "safe" to wave the handgun about.

I will bet he did not think he had a blue gun. I will bet the guy does not use blue guns. It obviously was not a blue gun because they cannot shoot people.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Evidence?

I need evidence to bet? Hunch is all I got. I do know that some people point blue guns at others because it is "not a gun", ummm, until it is. It is habit, a bad one, that they reinforce with blue guns.

No, like a table in Vegas I'm putting my chits on "thinking he had a blue gun and waved it all about" section of the table. I may lose, but this is how I am betting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I need evidence to bet? Hunch is all I got. I do know that some people point blue guns at others because it is "not a gun", ummm, until it is. It is habit, a bad one, that they reinforce with blue guns.

No, like a table in Vegas I'm putting my chits on "thinking he had a blue gun and waved it all about" section of the table. I may lose, but this is how I am betting.

I'd take that bet. I just can't see how someone without significant nerve damage in their hand coupled with blindness could make that mistake. Its like saying because I have Nerf battles with my son if we go hunting with real guns we'll forget and just start blasting at each other with shotguns. Or shoot foam darts at the squirrels.

Great, now I want to shoot squirrels in your yard with a Nerf gun to see their reaction. Oooh, something shiny. I'll be right back.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Okay, no one is going to sway your opinion about inert training replicas.

So, given you feel that way, why should we even have them? If they should/must be treated as guns, then we should never use them for activities for which a functional firearm is inappropriate. If there is no difference in using them vs. a functional firearm, should use "real" guns for everything, or just not do the training for which inert replicas were invented?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well if this would have been a police officer it would have been considered an accidental discharge, since they obviously arent ever negligent in any of their actions.

Gunner

At this time the Fairfield county Sheriff believes the shooting to be accidental and no charges have been filed.
    :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:
    EDIT:
    If convicted, he faces a possible sentence of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.
    :rockwoot:

So, Ohio wants me to be forced to sit in these shooting galleries so I can get a CCL? NO THANKS!

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    It's interesting to me that in all the discussion about the four rules, there's no discussion of the fact that he broke a basic education rule: no live ammunition in the classroom. You're dealing with people with an unknown amount of firearms expertise. Live ammo should not be there. Snap caps, cut-away rounds, empty brass, bullets, etc. can be used as visual aids as necessary. Students shouldn't be touching live ammo until they are on the range and getting ready to take their first shots.

I know that in this case the live rounds were in the instructor's firearm...but why did he have them there? What was he showing them that he could not have shown using snap caps?

I realize I'm talking about an NRA education policy, and it sounds like this person was certified by Ohio so they may use different rules, but it's still just a common sense safety precaution.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Me too. After all, I have a mirror.

I'm not sure how that's relevant though. The point is he shouldn't have had live ammunition in the classroom to begin with.

Whatever the NRA policy is (somebody mentioned one previously), have seen some instructors break serious safety rules.
    Policy is just policy IMHO, has no power in the real world.

Top Bottom