• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry if this is discussed in other threads, but I didn't find anything. Is it just me or does anyone else just not seem to like any compact gun out there? I haven't shot too many, but it seems like every gun compact gun I hold just doesn't fit right. Have I just not held enough, or is it just a mental thing or what? And i don't really think my hand size has anything to do with it, because I feel like my hands are small enough (especially for my size) that I would love compacts and sub compacts. Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion?

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have goliath hands and I normally carry either a Glock 17 or 1911 full size. But I have also carried sub compact guns. I have carried a Springfield XD sub compact 9 and a keltec P3at. With both guns I added a pinky extension on the magazine. That worked out well with both. I dumped the XD because Glock is King:D and the keltec because of something called bills. I also added a rubber wrap around grip on the keltec which really helped I thought. I was able to comfortably shoot the keltec at the range with a variety of loads.

But my advise is that is you want something like a G26 and add a pinky extension, you might at well move up the the G19. Your almost defeating the purpose of the compact size with adding something onto it that makes it larger.

Almost the same thing with going to a single stack like the shield or a kahr. Dont add wrap around grips or you might as well be carrying a double stack.

Maybe think about adding skaters tape or something similar to the grip to add texture and improve grip. Just tinker with some stuff until you find out what fits you best.

I like the skaters tape on my G17 for added grip, my 1911 have hogue rubber grips which dont add width to the gun.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I'm not big on subcompacts, and a compact can work for me depending on the size. My new favorite "compact" is a Sig p250 hybrid. I have a subcompact barrel and slide on a compact frame. It gives me the short barrel (i.e. easy to conceal and carry) with a longer grip (easier to hold and 15 rds compared to 12). Just a thought...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a Kahr PM9, one of the smaller and lighter 9mm pocket pistols and never leave home without it. I have fired several thousand rounds keeping practiced at defending myself and making sure I can hit what I aim at, and have gotten good enough with it that I can keep it on a standard 8x10 target at 25 yards. I love it!

That said, I also am a Beretta nut, and enjoy building custom 92 series pistols and enjoying them too. They are huge, but amazingly accurate and 100% reliable for self defense as well as the PM9 which is the other end of the spectrum.

I don't have any problem with either the bitty pistol or the huge 9mm, but I do say that without practice with either, I am not as accurate with them as they are in the hands of someone who does practice, or a bench rest. ;)

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I don't really think sub compacts feel good in the hand. I also don't enjoy shooting them. But, they are made to be easy to carry rather than comfortable to shoot. I carry a compact glock. I find it's a nice compromise, still carries pretty well and still shoots well and feels good in the hand.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I carry a Springfield XDM compact in .40 S&W. I really like it, it comes with a mag extension and different back pieces for the grip so you can make it fit your hand better.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I like compacts and subcompacts. However, with the "micro-compact" pocket 9's that are around (PF9, CM9, PM9, LC9, etc.) my need for subcompacts has been pushed aside. If it's not small enough to stick in my pocket (as well as waistband carry), then I might as well go with a compact or full size.

For clarity sake, when I refer to a compact, I mean something like a Glock 19- bbl about 4" or so, and a grip that extends a little bit below my relatively small hand, or a similar sized single stack.

A subcompact to me is a Glock 26 or Walter PPS. Barrel about 3" or so, and pinky is in the air, with the smallest magazine.

The micro's are as above, the PF9's, etc.

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I've found that the compact guns feel completely different when you put the mag extension on so you have somewhere to put your pinky. The other problem for me is that the little guns are not that fun/comfortable to shoot, they seem to be mostly for carry. I think I found the perfect compact... try the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm Ultra Compact. I like it more every time I shoot it. It's very comfortable to hold, accurate, high capacity and light recoil. It can be had for under $400.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Im not huge on subcompact guns either. The smallest I care to go is Glock 19, Sig P229, or a 1911 with a commander sized slide and an officer frame.

steveIU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I have a Beretta Px4 subcompact that I like. But I have a Beretta nano that I love! I like what indykid has to say. I too am a Beretta Nut.

jcgonser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    I have some problems with compact guns, but have found a few that fit nicely. I use the pinky extension on all of my magazines because I have big hands. Overall, it is my EDC and I get it out to practice. I think you should try some different guns to see how they fit. To me, it's the grip.

BLOOVMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    The following guns are good to go:

-Smith & Wesson Shield
    -Glock 26
    -Walther PPS
    -Kahr PM9

Here is the thing. If you are going for deep concealment, you are most likely going to have a shorter magazine seated in the gun- forcing your pinky finger to curl underneath the baseplate. This is disconcerting at first, but becomes less and less annoying as time goes on. Your spare magazine, however, can be longer and carry a couple more rounds of ammunition, which typically allows for a full grip on the pistol.

I'd suggest checking out the above pistols at a gun shop and seeing which one fits your hand best. Buy it, along with a longer spare magazine (FACTORY ONLY) and train train train. The awkwardness of the guns' size will be replaced in short order with the comforting feeling of having a lethal force option on your person, even when wearing light clothing.

Additionally, be sure to run a couple hundred rounds through your gun and at LEAST a box of the carry ammo you plan on using. Not all small frame guns feed defensive ammo equally well. Try Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, or Hornady Critical Duty.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Sorry if this is discussed in other threads, but I didn't find anything. Is it just me or does anyone else just not seem to like any compact gun out there? I haven't shot too many, but it seems like every gun compact gun I hold just doesn't fit right. Have I just not held enough, or is it just a mental thing or what? And i don't really think my hand size has anything to do with it, because I feel like my hands are small enough (especially for my size) that I would love compacts and sub compacts. Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion?

I thought the same way at first. But I picked up a compact in a trade. Then I saw Hickock45 explaining that the pinky doesn't make any real difference whether on the grip or not, so I took off my pinky extension and sure enough, no change. My EDC is a M&P9C and I love it. Plenty of bullets (12), takes full size mags (17), and is as accurate as a full size, but much easier to carry and conceal. So I would advise you that a compact version of a full size pistol is ideal, it just takes a little effort on your part to overcome the instinct that it feels odd.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Personally I don't care for subcompacts. I've shot a few and did not like how they felt in hand and I did not like the way the recoil felt (for reference I was shooting a Taurus PT709s). No disrespect to those who like subcompacts, if that's your thing then go for it! For me, they just don't feel good in hand and like a full size or compact better. My cc is a G17 and my wife's is a G19.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    My current carry is a SubCompact Sig P250, and before that was a Compact Glock 23. I love(d) both! However, for concealed carry with light/professional clothes, they don't work so well, and there are times I consider leaving the gun in my car because it so big, and uncomfortable(yes, I know, I'm gonna hear it for that.) That is the reason, I'm currently in the process of purchasing a pocket pistol so that I'll actually have the weapon on me AT ALL TIMES.

I'm not small either, I'm about 6'1" and about 175lbs, with larger then average hands, but you can get used to anything...ANYTHING with enough practice and determination.

That's my :twocents:. I'm done now :):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can't seem to find a compact that I don't love. My favorites are the Kimber Compact and CZ 75 Compact. Bersa also makes a fantastic couple of compacts in 9, 40 and 45. My RIA has been great as well. As much as I like the full size guns, I just can't find a good reason to not carry a compact where ever I go. Right now, I have a compact 1911 on my hip and love the thing to death.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I thought the same way at first. But I picked up a compact in a trade. Then I saw Hickock45 explaining that the pinky doesn't make any real difference whether on the grip or not, so I took off my pinky extension and sure enough, no change. My EDC is a M&P9C and I love it. Plenty of bullets (12), takes full size mags (17), and is as accurate as a full size, but much easier to carry and conceal. So I would advise you that a compact version of a full size pistol is ideal, it just takes a little effort on your part to overcome the instinct that it feels odd.

Good point. A lot of people who don't like compacts are hung up on the pinky thing. You don't need to use the pinky as part of your grip! Learn to use a two finger grip, and you'll be good to go.

I also shoot an M&P9c and love it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have medium/large hands and my favorite carry is a Glock 27 (.40 cal.) I had been using the standard 9 shot mag with the pinky extender but lately have noticed at the range that it tended to throw my hold off a little because my little finger didn't fully fit. So I went back to the regular mag and find that it's easier to grip with my pinky hanging under the butt. The little gun doesn't shoot any harder with a two finger grip. I know you didn't ask but the 27 is probably my most accurate piece and can put em as tight at all ranges as my 23 or 22. Plus it clocks 1,003fps with 180gr Federal HST, which is advertised at 1,010. Fantastic velocity for such a short barrel.

Top Bottom