• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongoose1.1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    I don't really think sub compacts feel good in the hand. I also don't enjoy shooting them. But, they are made to be easy to carry rather than comfortable to shoot. I carry a compact glock. I find it's a nice compromise, still carries pretty well and still shoots well and feels good in the hand.

Look into the M & P Shield.

I don't like sub-compacts either but the M & P Shield handles like a full-size. I have very big hands but with the grip extension it fits fine. It is very small and ultra lean. Also, the recoil is much much better than any other subcompact I know of. It's very controllable even in a .40 (known for being a snappier round).

Easy to conceal (I carry it on my ankle most of the time) and lightweight.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I'm partial to the Glock 30, and the steel Framed Kahrs, because they fit my hand well; thus inspiring confidence. If you like the way a gun fits your hand you're likely to shoot it more often, and practice makes perfect. My suggestion is to grab a handfull of $$, and head up to Indianapolis at the end of the month (24, 25 and 26) and visit the Indy 1500 Gun Show. Here you will be able to handle every variety and make of hangun in one place, and find a weapon that best suits YOUR hand.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    I just got the M&P40c for my birthday, very nice and comes with pinky extension on the magazine, it's made that way. Also I got the one that came with an Xgrip magazine, which is a full size 15 round mag with an extension to cover the gap, very ergonomic pistol, feels great in your hand. Granted you would use the smaller mags for CC, but the larger one is a very nice addition.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    I bought a Sig P238 and really like it for CC.

Sorry if this is discussed in other threads, but I didn't find anything. Is it just me or does anyone else just not seem to like any compact gun out there? I haven't shot too many, but it seems like every gun compact gun I hold just doesn't fit right. Have I just not held enough, or is it just a mental thing or what? And i don't really think my hand size has anything to do with it, because I feel like my hands are small enough (especially for my size) that I would love compacts and sub compacts. Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion?

Mithrandir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go with what works.

When I was first shopping, I knew I wanted a Glock 9mm, but the funny thing was that the 17 fit perfectly, the 19 not at all, and the 26 almost as well as the 17. I don't have thick hands, but they're pretty big.

Many guys have said that a pistol has to become an extension of your arm/hand. We have to go with the one that's compatible with our natural equipment.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sub compact is not meant to be comforable in my opinion. I have shot one and was not happy with how it felt in my hands. I have big hands. Not my kind of gun. Find what you can shoot comfortable and safely. If it is a compact or sub compact that's fine. If it feels like a toy or is uncomfortable go bigger!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Small pistols and revolvers are a compromise. To me it boils down to the question of what will I carry 24/7. I have carried S&W K frames, 1911's, steel framed S&W J frames. They all were a little bulky and/or heavy for 24/7 carry and I got the "leave it at home or glove compartment" syndrome. I had to settle on aluminum framed revolvers and polymer framed semi-autos that are very small and harder to shoot than the bigger handguns. I do carry the S&W lighter small framed revolver and Kahr small framed semi-auto nine mil. One is with me whenever I am up and about.

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    I have found the XDs to be a good fit for me. My hands are on the small side of medium, at least that's how gloves fit. I agree, adding anything to a compact defeats the purpose of the weapon. What I really would like get my hands on is a Para Warthog with a set og Hogue grips. That looks to be a good fit and still stay compact.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    My take is that a smaller gun may require more practice and training use than a full size to become proficient but they will do the job with limitations (capacity, acquiring a good grip quickly and comfort come to mind).

I'm new to cc'ing and my initial purchase was a PPS. After using it in a defense training course I have come to the conclusion that it added a level of difficulty that I will have to practice to overcome.

It would be more efficient effort to train with and carry a full size, something I may decide to do someday. But for now I'll split my training between a FS and my PPS and carry the PPS.

Top Bottom