• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Hey guys, I've been looking into purchasing a defensive handgun in the semi-near future (if I can find an individual selling one; being under 21 is really lame! :crying:), but since I won't be able to buy ammo for it for a couple of years I may try to get around the age limit on handgun ammo by reloading. I'm thinking, then, that .45 would make more sense since I would save more cash reloading that then 9mm. With that said, what compact .45 would you personally recommend for CC? I'm looking for something about $500. The biggest issue for me is reliability.
    Since I've never actually fired a .45, I'm not sure that's what I'll go with for sure, but I do want to explore my options. I've fired a couple of my friend's 9mms, but I don't know if I even know anyone who owns a 45, so I'll have to figure out how I can try some out...

Thanks!

P.S. I apologize if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything through the forum search.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    Yes, you'll save more money reloading 45 vs buying new than you would reloading 9mm vs buying new. But you are also gonna spend more money reloading 45 over 9mm, because 45 cost more! Make sense?

As far as a compact 45, I loved my Springfield XD45 compact. It was easy to conceal and shot like a dream. That's the only 45 compact that I have experience with.

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    I CC a Glock 30 .45 and love it. Shoots great and its very reliable. I mean its a Glock for goodness sake!! (I know someone will bash me for saying that hahaha)

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, you'll save more money reloading 45 vs buying new than you would reloading 9mm vs buying new. But you are also gonna spend more money reloading 45 over 9mm, because 45 cost more! Make sense?

As far as a compact 45, I loved my Springfield XD45 compact. It was easy to conceal and shot like a dream. That's the only 45 compact that I have experience with.
    Yes, I was aware of that, although I didn't phrase it very well. Thank you though!

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I like the glock 30 that I carry. I recently got a springfield Champion loaded .45 and it is about the same size lengthwise but thinner due to single stack mag. so holds 3 less rounds, but seems to eat any round like my glock.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Glock 30 FTW. One of my best friends is a firearms instructor, and CCs it, and nothing else. I thought he was nuts, until I shot it... that's how I got the glock bug. You'll love it.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Glock 30SF with a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster. But it may be something different for you. I miss 9mm due to the cost of .45 ammo, but that is all I miss. :) Love my .45's.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Why are you stuck on a 45? You could have a lot of money in reloading supplies. Every consider something else with a proper load, that you could afford to shoot w/o reloading if it came to it?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For a subcompact .45, it is hard to equal (or beat) the Glock 30. It is my wife's carry gun, and she loves it. I find it just a bit large for CC and, therefore, settled on the Glock 27 in .40 S&W (short & wimpy?) :):

The Smith & Wesson M&P line is excellent, too.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The Glock 30 I had felt like a 2x4 - much more so than the 19, 22, or 17. I CC a Glock 36 in the summertime now. It just feels like a 2x2. ;) Honestly, I like it a lot.

I am personally a fan of 3rd Gen Smith and Wessons. In the CC department, my CS45 and 4553TSW work out fine. The 457 would be another to consider as well as a 4513, if you can find one. These 3rd Gen are uber-reliable.

The Sig P220 Compact SAS Gen 2 is a bit over the $500 mark but it is the next pistol I would like to buy. Something to consider if you check one out and discover it is worth saving up an extra couple of hundred bucks.

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Why are you stuck on a 45? You could have a lot of money in reloading supplies. Every consider something else with a proper load, that you could afford to shoot w/o reloading if it came to it?
    I'm not. Like I said, I'm just exploring my options. I won't be able to buy handgun ammo for a couple more years, so I'm thinking it may be worth it to reload (which is something I'd like to get into eventually anyway) and if I'm going to reload, it *might* be worth it to just go with a .45.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    What about a Glock 36? Single Stack mag so its thinner than other glocks. But that comes at a price of giving magazine capacity.

But studies show, most self defense situations only use 3-5 rounds. Just my two cents! You can't go wrong with any Glock in my opinion! Search around though, some of us are bias! :koolaid:

StumpyPete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If you reload for a Glock, you won't be able to use lead OR you'll need an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling. That will drive your costs up a bit.

Top Bottom