• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For a subcompact .45, it is hard to equal (or beat) the Glock 30. It is my wife's carry gun, and she loves it. I find it just a bit large for CC and, therefore, settled on the Glock 27 in .40 S&W (short & wimpy?) :):

The Smith & Wesson M&P line is excellent, too.
    Do you have a variety of handguns to try in your Basic Pistol class? I'm thinking about taking it this month, and it would especially cool if I can try several different guns/different calibers.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Keep your eyes open for a Bersa 45UC. They are great guns, carry well and can be bought brand new for well under $500. We've had one for a couple of years and it's been a solid performer.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Before you make any decisions be sure to shoot as many weapons as possible. Everyone finds different weapons attractive for different reasons. hand size, grip or tolerance to recoil. Dont reject the 9mm ore 380 for that matter before you fire them. Both are effective at close range and buck a lot less than a .45

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I own a glock 30 sf and have always enjoyed shooting it, but imo it's a little chunky for all day carry. Just doesn't ride to comfortably for me iwb. But as far as shooting is concerned, i absolutely love it.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Lot's of Glock love so far - I would ask you consider a 1911. No polymer bashing intended - I have a couple of S&W's......but a 1911 is easy to conceal and a timeless design - shoot one before you decide.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I've noticed the S&W M&P 45c has a lot more upward recoil, and the G30 has more "push". I just prefer the 30, for the mere fact that follow up shots are faster and easier.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    No offense to the 1911 lovers, but it would not make a good "first gun", especially in the $500 range. And IMHO, a subcompact .45 would not either.. I myself love the G30, but would recommend something a lot more manageable for a first gun, such as a G19. Very concealable, reliable, and controllable. And I don't really buy the "can't buy ammo for a couple years" arguement either. U probably have friends that buy beer for u, those same friends can buy ammo too. And it is probably cheaper to BUY 9mm than it is to RELOAD .45 anyway.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Went to the Indy 1500 a couple years ago intent on buying a Glock 30 (I already own a Glock 21). I handled an XD 45 ACP Compact from ZX Guns. It was Love. My XD compact is my EDC gun, and my son liked it so much, that HE bought one. Either gun would be a great option.

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    U probably have friends that buy beer for u, those same friends can buy ammo too. And it is probably cheaper to BUY 9mm than it is to RELOAD .45 anyway.
    LOL No, my friends do not buy beer for me. And you are correct, 9mm is cheaper. I was just thinking that if I'm going to reload, it might make more sense to go with 45, but I haven't decided yet. Thanks!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Going along with paddling man's recommendation on the 3Gs, I agree and toss out the CS45. Probably one of the best compact pistols ever made.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    +1 for the G30 or G36. They're both fantastic guns that you will not go wrong with.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I carry a G36. It seems to conceal pretty well and it shoot a heck of a lot better that I had expected. Trigger seems to be a big improvement over other factory Glock triggers that I've shot. I'm a big XD guy though and would love to try out one of the new XDm 3.8 .45acp compacts.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Since you mention reloading, have you given any thoughts to a revolver? Some semi-autos are a little finicky when it comes to feeding them. Revolvers are usually a litte more forgiving, you can shoot almost any kind of bullet and never have the problems that can be associated with bottom feeders. I have several loaders, but I still prefer to sit at my desk with a handpress and reload .357 and .44s.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I, for one, was always taught never to carry my own reloads in a gun that I'm carrying for legality reasons. So I reload just about everything I shoot on the range. Self defense rounds are the only ones I buy factory for that very reason.

Top Bottom