• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^Does OWB mean open carry and IWB mean concealed carry? I thought it was a type of holster and that either one could be carried either way.:)

The ^^^ was supposed to be referencing Leash's comments. This post is so hot that 2 people post while I am typing one out.:):

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I realize we live a "free society" where folks (like me) have many and varied opinions. I know what I'm going to say will make some angry. I'm, frankly, past caring.

I carry concealed everyday, most recently with my M&P Shield in my new G-Code Incog holster. I consider it a responsibility, not unlike carrying insurance, in order to protect my family, myself and those around me - there are a lot of bad, bad people out there. Just lately I've seen more open carry folks while I'm out and about than I've seen in all my life. I sort of understand the thinking but I just think it's dumb.

To me, whether we can or can't open carry isn't even part of the issue. If you are not a member of law enforcement and you're open carrying, IMHO, your losing the element of surprise and potentially inviting trouble where it other wise wouldn't be. I've thought about this for quite a while. The positives for allowing others to know without a doubt that you are armed doesn't even come close to the negatives.

And I'm just going to say it, if you happen to be one of those people who feel big and think you are gaining respect of others because you have your weapon out there, no offense intended, grow up please.

Good common sense post.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ^^^Does OWB mean open carry and IWB mean concealed carry? I thought it was a type of holster and that either one could be carried either way.:)

True that.

I guess one can carry open with an IWB holster and I don't know why - but it's possible. If I wore a moo-moo over my OWB holster it could be considered concealed. But I ain't going to do that for anyones' feelings.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Couldn't agree more, Larry. Actually, the overhwheming majority of those who carry responsibly also agree with you. Unfortunately, those who seem to live on gun forums 24x7 aren't always representative of those who carry responsibly. Just know that most gun owners feel exactly the same way as you.

You mean to say they hide their guns like criminals?

And of course anyone that OC is irresponsible

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One of these days, I will carry but I will probably choose to carry halfway between CC and OC to make everyone happy!:)

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wow. The lack of knowledge or logic here is astounding. This is why I rarely come to this site.

Advantages: Surprise is the BIGGEST advantage, you can carry places you might not necessarily be able to with while OC (banks, etc), ability to blend in until action is needed, don't have to worry about gun grabs, not advertising that you have something valuable on your person, if you OC you should have a retention holster and this negates the speed of OC (although AIWB is faster period for CC), you have more options in confrontation and they don't escalate as quickly...and so on and so forth.

I've yet to see one good argument for OC.

Let's not take my word for it, as everything I've said so far has been turned into something unrecognizable and ridiculous, and I sure as hell am not taking anything anyone here has said seriously so far. Let's leave it in the hands of people like Todd Green, Gary Roberts, JM Johnston, Southnarc, and many other SME's.

Open Carry

$100 paypaled to the INGO'er who starts a thread stating OC is a better choice than CC and manages to win that argument on Pistol-forum.com or M4carbine.net. I'm not saying there are not any intelligent people here, but people like Larry Vickers, Jason Falla, kyle defoor, mike pannone, Todd Green, etc etc etc post there for a reason. They ALL advocate CC vs OC. I've yet to even hear of a serious instructor who would advise otherwise.

I'm sure the next argument to come out is: "who cares what XYZ instructors say", so this is where I will let people believe what they believe.

What tactical advantage? Don't even say "element of surprise." Surprise is an offensive tactic, not a defensive one. That tactic has the enormous drawback of only being able to work after the attack has already started. It's an extremely asinine argument.

Wow, SERIOUSLY? There is zero point in reasoning with you, honestly.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    People cling to their opinions on this stuff like it is religion or family heritage. Soooo entertaining! :popcorn: :):

I really don't have an opinion, but damn those that hide their guns like criminals sure do. :popcorn: I brought some too.

And they still wil not tell us the tactical advantage to CC and why the cops OC. I mean c'mon, an officer of the law would be so much less intimidating if they didn't have that big ole nasty gun displayed out there for all to see.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    COMMON SENSE IS THE NEW COKE

Need to get your uneducated/ill-informed opinion across? Drop in a few "Common Sense's" into your diatribe.

Feeling like a message board or gun forum that has 5 years under its belt needs some fresh new opinions? Bust out the Common Sense.

People at the office and at home don't take you seriously? Booya! smack-down some Common Sense.

Cop pulls you over? Give him your Common Sense opinion. Don't worry, he'll give you his Common Sense opinion too.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Wow. The lack of knowledge or logic here is astounding. This is why I rarely come to this site.

Advantages: Surprise is the BIGGEST advantage, you can carry places you might not necessarily be able to with while OC (banks, etc), ability to blend in until action is needed, don't have to worry about gun grabs, not advertising that you have something valuable on your person, if you OC you should have a retention holster and this negates the speed of OC (although AIWB is faster period for CC), you have more options in confrontation and they don't escalate as quickly...and so on and so forth.

I've yet to see one good argument for OC.

Let's not take my word for it, as everything I've said so far has been turned into something unrecognizable and ridiculous, and I sure as hell am not taking anything anyone here has said seriously so far. Let's leave it in the hands of people like Todd Green, Gary Roberts, JM Johnston, Southnarc, and many other SME's.

Open Carry

$100 paypaled to the INGO'er who starts a thread stating OC is a better choice than CC and manages to win that argument on Pistol-forum.com or M4carbine.net. I'm not saying there are not any intelligent people here, but people like Larry Vickers, Jason Falla, kyle defoor, mike pannone, Todd Green, etc etc etc post there for a reason. They ALL advocate CC vs OC. I've yet to even hear of a serious instructor who would advise otherwise.

I'm sure the next argument to come out is: "who cares what XYZ instructors say", so this is where I will let people believe what they believe.

"Surprise isn't an advantage of CC"...Wow, SERIOUSLY? There is zero point in reasoning with you, honestly.
    Who are you surprising?

Why do LEO OC?

OC is more comfortable, you can draw faster. That's two.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    You just answered you own question, the criminal sees an armed person as a threat, so they move on.
    Do you have any UNBIASED documentation on this. I can just as easily see that a BG would see an OC'er as the first person to take out.

And FWIW, I agree with the OP. I think MOST OC'ers are either trying to show off, play cowboy, or trying to prove something. Notice I said MOST. The ones that deny this the most vehemently are the ones it's most true about. But BY GOD they have a right to do it!

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Who are you surprising?

Why do LEO OC?

From Dr. Gary Roberts, this should cover both of your questions.

"Because open carry is a stupid idea, unless your job requires you to be in uniform, wearing body armor.

The whole purpose of CCW is to remain "CONCEALED"...why would any sane person want to advertise they are carrying a weapon and potentially become the first target of a bad guy. Far better to blend in and be the overlooked gray man who does not stand out until events compel immediate decisive action."

These are common sense questions that I should not be forced to answer.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Do you have any UNBIASED documentation on this. I can just as easily see that a BG would see an OC'er as the first person to take out.

!

Show me any stories in which that has happened. People carrying guns are not weak targets, I would certainly never try to mug a person carrying a gun if I know they have one and I would certainly never target a house in which I thought the occupants had guns unless I knew for a fact they were gone.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    From Dr. Gary Roberts, this should cover both of your questions.

"Because open carry is a stupid idea, unless your job requires you to be in uniform, wearing body armor.

The whole purpose of CCW is to remain "CONCEALED"...why would any sane person want to advertise they are carrying a weapon and potentially become the first target of a bad guy. Far better to blend in and be the overlooked gray man who does not stand out until events compel immediate decisive action."

These are common sense questions that I should not be forced to answer.

Then why is it OK to OC if your job requires it? They will be the first one shot.

Top Bottom