• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any impact of weather on the frequency of robberies / assaults, etc ? I spend a lot of time downtown (Indy) and I've caught myself thinking " No one is going to attack me in this weather. It's too cold. I don't even want to be out here"

You'd sure think so, wouldn't you? We've been just as busy in the "artic vortex" or whatever they are calling it as we normally are. Which sucks.

Will I get in trouble by hosing someone down with gas at a station if they violate my space? psyko

...what are you hosing them down with, and is there a safety word established?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Good stuff to be aware of on the street. Thanks!

I've also heard that folks who are inattentive to their surroundings and lackadaisical, even a "big guy", are more likely to be targeted than someone who looks like they are attentive and alert and going somewhere, even say someone rather small in stature.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's all a hustle. Anything they can get is a win for them. If you are a "nice guy" and bum a smoke it likely won't end there. A smoke turns into "can i use your phone right quick" or "let me hold a few dollars" or "let me get a ride". It's a slippery slope so just be firm, (no need to be apologetic) and say no. Look them in the eye. They likely won't proceed with whatever bad intentions they have planned if they know you can ID them later. I get it all the time. As soon as I hear the classic "hey my guy" "my man" or "ah roadie" I just shake my head no. Whatever it is its a no. I don't even hear them out anymore. If they continue to close the distance i put my hand under my shirt and tell them to keep it moving. Then I keep one eye on them and the other looking out for anyone else they might be with. Call me a dick but...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks. Good information. SA comes naturally to me for the most part. I am trying to teach my wife though who has very little situational awareness. I will share this with her.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple to add. Been getting this a lot lately "Can I have a ride?" Answer "No". I have had this approach several times. Also, when I am carrying equipment to or from my truck, a car will stop in the street with the window down. The driver will usually ask for directions to something local. I set my equipment down, put my right hand near my holster and stay 6 feet from the car. I can't see who else may be hiding in the car. If I know the directions, I will tell them. Sometimes women are used to make the initial contact to seem less threatening, but don't fall for it. Look around and see who else is in the area. She may be the sales person, but the closer is nearby.

I compare these events with a friend of mine who also works in the roughest neighborhoods. We have a new term for these interactions. It is a Glock moment.

+1 to BehindBlueEyes for posting this list.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's all a hustle. Anything they can get is a win for them. If you are a "nice guy" and bum a smoke it likely won't end there. A smoke turns into "can i use your phone right quick" or "let me hold a few dollars" or "let me get a ride". It's a slippery slope so just be firm, (no need to be apologetic) and say no. Look them in the eye. They likely won't proceed with whatever bad intentions they have planned if they know you can ID them later. I get it all the time. As soon as I hear the classic "hey my guy" "my man" or "ah roadie" I just shake my head no. Whatever it is its a no. I don't even hear them out anymore. If they continue to close the distance i put my hand under my shirt and tell them to keep it moving. Then I keep one eye on them and the other looking out for anyone else they might be with. Call me a dick but...

I do this as well and not at all politely. Also look around for another POS that may be partnered up with the front man. I have seen them run in packs at the gas stations and liquor stores.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Guys, the real intent here is to get you distracted. If they can get you talking even better, because then you are thinking about what they are saying and what your answer might be. This is why you have a generic answer that you don't have to think about. It doesn't matter if it fits or not, because why do we care if we give these people a legitimate answer.

As BBI said their are plenty of physical pre assualt cues as well. Some are similar to the cuse you get when someone is about to run on you, I am sure the OP knows what I am talking about there. Many of these cues can be seen on video.
    http://paladincombatives.com/resources/video-discussion/

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    This is all great information. But what if?
    What if you have a loved one, who does not carry, nor the idea of carrying, do when approached?
    Sure, keep something between you.
    Sure, make sure you have that pepper spray I gave you ready.
    Or at the very least, keep your keys in you hand, ready to hit the panic button.
    BUT What if?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What if you have a loved one, who does not carry, nor the idea of carrying, do when approached?
    Sure, keep something between you.
    Sure, make sure you have that pepper spray I gave you ready.
    Or at the very least, keep your keys in you hand, ready to hit the panic button.
    BUT What if?

There is always a what if even for those of us who train and carry.......

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

That's a separate topic, and one that I'm not willing to give a blanket answer to. It very much depends on the particulars of that incident. Are you armed or not is only one consideration. Your physical condition, your level of training, presence of weapons on either side, presence of uninvolved people or being alone on a deserted street, number of potential attackers, etc etc.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    There are folks around my town who have
    regular routes picking buts. If you see one,
    have a heart and give them the partial pack
    in your pocket,unasked.I know this will begin
    a flame war, Also give them a book of matches.
    I always carry a couple books of matches to give
    to people who ask for a light.I always carry a handgun.

Thanks

Mark

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    There are folks around my town who have
    regular routes picking buts. If you see one,
    have a heart and give them the partial pack
    in your pocket,unasked.I know this will begin
    a flame war, Also give them a book of matches.
    I always carry a couple books of matches to give
    to people who ask for a light.I always carry a handgun.

Thanks

Mark

As long as you carry a gun it is fine to take all of the risks you want. Nothing bad can happen.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    I was pumping some gas in Indy at lunchtime when a guy on foot starts walking towards me and reaches into his jacket. I thought here we go, and he pulls out a box of Raindance wax and asks if I want to buy some shine for my ride. Breathed a sigh of relief!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    DO NOT LET ANYONE USE YOUR PHONE. They just might send a text message to some subscription service that costs $30 a month or something and sends you text messages. It will be billed to your phone bill, and there won't be any way to cancel the service because it's based outside the US and they don't want you to be able to cancel. You'll have to get a new number.

Top Bottom