• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Horsemeat. Looks like El Presidente' went and signed a new law into being that allows for the slaughter of horses for human consumption. This apparently has some people upset, but I wouldn't be one of them. Yeah, he apparently broke yet another promise when he signed it, what's new? Wonder how long it will take to get this new industry ramped up?

I like more variety in meats and would be fairly likely to buy some horsemeat for the grill. Beats feeding it to the dogs.

Obama Legalizes Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption - Technorati Lifestyle

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We running out of cows or something?

I could care less if a family wants to slaughter their horse and eat it, I don't believe that's anyone's business but theirs provided they kill it humanely. How long before McDonald's and Burger King start putting horse meat in their burgers?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    We running out of cows or something?

I could care less if a family wants to slaughter their horse and eat it, I don't believe that's anyone's business but theirs provided they kill it humanely. How long before McDonald's and Burger King start putting horse meat in their burgers?

There is no way a fast food joint would put horse meat in their burgers. The stigma would last forever...

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    One would think a thoroughbred would be the perfect source of fast food.

I would eat it. I just don't think the masses would.

But maybe I am wrong...

26773515b04117480f9a4f61a83419eabfdaf898_4a9b9ae9full.jpg

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    When the slaughter ban came on, it dropped the bottom out of the horse market. Which lead to starved and abandoned horses. Yet another example of poorly thought out legislation.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Meet is meet once it is dead and cooked into stew it all pretty much looks the same. Steaks are different. If you travel enough you will find the rest of the world has a MUCH more diverse diet then Americans.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    When the slaughter ban came on, it dropped the bottom out of the horse market. Which lead to starved and abandoned horses. Yet another example of poorly thought out legislation.

Precisely, the ban affected mostly the sale of horses overseas meant for human consumption which had been an outlet for unwanted horses.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Heck, the bottom has been out of the pleasure horse market for YEARS now.

You can hardly give horses away these days... 15-20years ago, a well broken show-winning horse could be sold for $5k+ (gelding)... A show winning stud could sell for in the mid 5-figures.

These days, folks offer well-broken horses for sale at $500 and they can't sell 'em.

-J-

(listen to me talk like I'm an expert... *sigh*... ALL of my equestrian knowledge comes to me via my wife, who has been an equestrienne for her entire life)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is no way a fast food joint would put horse meat in their burgers. The stigma would last forever...

Heck, Taco Bell doesn't even use meat (beef) and no one cares. Do you think folks really care what is in fast food?

There is more of a taboo on eating "pets" in the US than anywhere else. The rest of the world eats dogs, cats, horses, monkeys, etc.... If it is properly raised, slaughtered, and prepared, who am I to say what is and is not food?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I finally went and read that article (yeah, I know, why start now?).

1) It has never really been "illegal" to eat horses. The FDA was just never funded to do the government required inspections for horse processing plants. I gather, that an individual could butcher and eat a horse, and the .gov wouldn't care?

2) The article makes it sound like we will be FORCED to eat horse meat. Like Wal-Mart will replace ALL of their cow steaks with horse steaks, or some such nonsense. My response: if you don't want to eat horse, then a) know what is in your food, and b) don't buy it if it contains (or might contain) horse.

Don't these reporterettes have anything better to do than worry about what they don't want to eat?

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I for one will never eat horse meat. I dont care if others do or not. Only thing I would insist on is that any product that contains horse meat be labeled properly. I just see places using it and not telling people just to make a buck. Everyone should have the oppurtunity to know what they consume.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I finally went and read that article (yeah, I know, why start now?).

1) It has never really been "illegal" to eat horses. The FDA was just never funded to do the government required inspections for horse processing plants. I gather, that an individual could butcher and eat a horse, and the .gov wouldn't care?

2) The article makes it sound like we will be FORCED to eat horse meat. Like Wal-Mart will replace ALL of their cow steaks with horse steaks, or some such nonsense. My response: if you don't want to eat horse, then a) know what is in your food, and b) don't buy it if it contains (or might contain) horse.

Don't these reporterettes have anything better to do than worry about what they don't want to eat?

Because I'm convinced half of the articles that get posted don't get read in their entirety by the individual posting it. Someone's gotta be the clearinghouse of sanity and get-yer-facts-straight.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Because I'm convinced half of the articles that get posted don't get read in their entirety by the individual posting it. Someone's gotta be the clearinghouse of sanity and get-yer-facts-straight.

He wasn't wrong in his analysis. From what I'm reading, eldirector is correct that there were no federal laws preventing an individual from slaughtering and eating a horse.

The FDA, however, was prohibited (via lack of congressional funding) from inspecting horse slaughterhouses, which means that horses could not be legally slaughtered and sold for human consumption (basically what mrjarrel was trying to say).

He was also correct that Obama broke a campaign promise by signing it into law.

I think he got his facts pretty straight, overall.

Top Bottom