• ...and so much more!
  • fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Funny, nobody mentioned S&W. Seems they keep plugging along, although I don't like their newer revolvers near as well as the older ones.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Funny, nobody mentioned S&W. Seems they keep plugging along, although I don't like their newer revolvers near as well as the older ones.

They have done well with their M&P line. The pistols were seen as having better ergonomics than Glock by many. The carbines are a quality offering, at a competitive price point. Their market timing was quite good on the introduction of those, as the striker fired pistol and MSR trends were really kicking in.

Colt, on the other hand, surrendered the wheel gun market to S&W, and to an extent, Taurus. They continued to make 1911's that ranged in quality from good to so-so, at a price point that left the door wide open for Springfield Armory to take that corner of the market. Meanwhile, as companies like S&W produced similar quality and features in AR's at a lower price, and Bravo Company and Daniel Defense helped themselves to more and more of the premium rifle market, Colt continued to produce the tired old models at the familiar high prices. Colt was on tenuous footing to be sure, and the coup de grace was delivered when FN swooped in and gobbled up the government cheese.

It's the classic American story of a group of investors with zero interest or knowledge about the end product buy up a name, and ride that horse till it dies. And now the Chinese own what used to be a major U.S. arms manufacturer. Thankfully, there are plenty of competitors waiting in the wings to produce America's small arms for the foreseeable future.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    The freaking CHINESE bought Colt? :xmad:

Well of course they did. We as Americans are just so stupid. We will sell anything to the highest bidder land, business, water, etc... Wake the **** up before it's too late. It's the generations of Americans to come that will have to deal with our stupidity and greed. At the rate we are going in 100 years there won't be an America.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well of course they did. We as Americans are just so stupid. We will sell anything to the highest bidder land, business, water, etc... Wake the **** up before it's too late. It's the generations of Americans to come that will have to deal with our stupidity and greed. At the rate we are going in 100 years there won't be an America.

And so few care anymore.....so few.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Or "What" butt is on the big "Person" chair.

CM going PC? Say it aint so...

4LEyfZG.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

View attachment 46396

jasonh31

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    North Manchester
    Won't shed a tear over colt. They hired .gov guys and got .gov results. Don't need colt for ar15s anymore either especially with good cheaper alternatives and better slightly more expensive ones.

Last edited:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    What's not funny is that Americans allow things like this to happen. Our enemies are buying up America. Other countries have laws that prohibit this from happening why don't we. I'd tell you the answer but you probably wouldn't like or believe the answer.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What's not funny is that Americans allow things like this to happen. Our enemies are buying up America. Other countries have laws that prohibit this from happening why don't we. I'd tell you the answer but you probably wouldn't like or believe the answer.

Hyperbole much? There's nothing stopping new companies from stepping in and taking over the market/business. Colt foundered due to bad business decisions/hubris and now there's better or cheaper options out there as was mentioned previously. I don't really care who owns what brands. I just want the best for my money and it's not Colt anymore.

I don't have a nostalgic attachment to old US brand names just because they used to make good stuff.

Top Bottom